• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Joyboy

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2022
NH
Hi Everyone,

New to the precision shooting space have always been off and on dear hunter since I was a kid. I recently went to a distance range with a buddy and caught the bug even went as far as to read Ryan Cleckners long-distance shooting book.

I purchased a Tikka T3x Tac a1 in 65 creedmore with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scope to train on until I become more proficient.
I have a 1,000-yard+ range nearby where I will be spending most of my free time.
I've been researching scope rings and I'm leaning towards Hawkins Precision1-PIECE MOUNT 1"27 height, 20 MOA, and 34mm diameter, I wanted to come here and seek advice from those more versed in this space than I, because honestly, I have no clue when it comes to precision shooting. Would this Hawkins mount work or is there another brand you would recommend?

Hi Everyone,

New to the precision shooting space have always been off and on dear hunter since I was a kid. I recently went to a distance range with a buddy and caught the bug even went as far as to read Ryan Cleckners long-distance shooting book.

I purchased a Tikka T3x Tac a1 in 65 creedmore with a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scope to train on until I become more proficient.
I have a 1,000-yard+ range nearby where I will be spending most of my free time.
I've been researching scope rings and I'm leaning towards Hawkins Precision1-PIECE MOUNT 1"27 height, 20 MOA, and 34mm diameter, I wanted to come here and seek advice from those more versed in this space than I, because honestly, I have no clue when it comes to precision shooting. Would this Hawkins mount work or is there another brand you would recommend?
I'm not clear on your intention here. The Viper PST gen-2 scopes have a 30mm tube and you're citing something with 34mm diameter...? You need 30mm-diameter rings / mount.

I started precision rifle five years ago with a TAC A1 in 6.5CM. You have a very capable rifle and there's no need to look at it as a throw-away unless you simply want a more expensive toy.

Back to your scope mount: For bolt guns, especially the TAC A1 with its long flat rail, I prefer rings to one-piece mounts for two reasons: first, having two separate pieces gives more placement options for both the rings on the rail and the turret housing between the rings; second, you can typically place rings a bit further apart than a single-piece mount for, theoretically, a bit more stability.

I've used 1.26" Vortex PMR rings with all but one of my bolt rifles. You may encounter opinions that the scope should be mounted as close as possible to the barrel. This is outdated BS. Your rifle has an adjustable comb (cheek piece). Better to have extra scope height and move the comb up as needed than not being able to get your cheek low enough.

With standard rings and the TAC A1's flat rail, your gen-2 Viper PST should get you to 1000 yards or very close to it with slow factory ammo. As you have seen, you can also buy rings/mounts with additional elevation built in. That might not be a bad idea with your rifle's flat rib and 30mm scope tube.

Enjoy your journey.

I'm not clear on your intention here. The Viper PST gen-2 scopes have a 30mm tube and you're citing something with 34mm diameter...? You need 30mm-diameter rings / mount.

I started precision rifle five years ago with a TAC A1 in 6.5CM. You have a very capable rifle and there's no need to look at it as a throw-away unless you simply want a more expensive toy.

Back to your scope mount: For bolt guns, especially the TAC A1 with its long flat rail, I prefer rings to one-piece mounts for two reasons: first, having two separate pieces gives more placement options for both the rings on the rail and the turret housing between the rings; second, you can typically place rings a bit further apart than a single-piece mount for, theoretically, a bit more stability.

I've used 1.26" Vortex PMR rings with all but one of my bolt rifles. You may encounter opinions that the scope should be mounted as close as possible to the barrel. This is outdated BS. Your rifle has an adjustable comb (cheek piece). Better to have extra scope height and move the comb up as needed than not being able to get your cheek low enough.

With standard rings and the TAC A1's flat rail, your gen-2 Viper PST should get you to 1000 yards or very close to it with slow factory ammo. As you have seen, you can also buy rings/mounts with additional elevation built in. That might not be a bad idea with your rifle's flat rib and 30mm scope tube.

Enjoy your journey.
that's an oversight my apologies, of course, would need the 30mm for the Viper pst gen2, further I wasn't considering the tikka s a throw-away rifle quite the opposite.
I really appreciate your advice!

I went with the M-Brace mount on my new ZCO 840 and liked it so much I ordered another to replace my NightForce rings on another scope.

I use this device. There could be some surprises as to how far off the rings are once mounted to the weapon. A lot of things can change from the CNC machine to the 1,000 yard range.
The Wheeler Engineering® Scope Ring and Lapping Kit Combo allows you to properly install a scope on a firearm. The alignment bars in this kit provide for perfect alignment of both rings and will also diagnose any misalignment problem, vertical or horizontal, giving you the opportunity to fix the problem before damaging the scope or experiencing frustration at the range.

^^^THIS^^^

I've never found a need to lap modern CNC cut rings/mounts from Seekins, NF, Badger, Spuhr, ARC which have all worked perfectly and I've owned multiples of each. I'd definitely try them out on your setup before you purchase any products for lapping.