• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope mount with built in MOA question

Vance in AK.

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2006
Alaska
I am mounting a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 on my RPR Rimfire in 22lr.
I know the rifle has a 30 MOA taper base. The only 34mm rings I can get locally are the Night Force Unimount with a 20 MOA, which will give me 50 MOA built in between the rifles base & the unimount.
Will this cause problems with -0- at shorter ranges?
My ultimate goal is to use the rifle in NRL22 or PRS22. Would I be better off ordering a normal set of my favorite Vortex Rings (1.45")?

50 minutes is a shitload. Wait and buy rings without cant built in. Yes, it will affect ability to get a zero at short range by how much is dependent on a lot of things. The 30MOA base on the rifle (really, on a .22lr? that seems a tiny bit batty) might not help either but if that's true then you can mount the unimount backwards and end up with only 10moa pre-dialed into the system and that shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Reactions: sparkyv
I think 50 moa might be too much, but worth trying. You can even bottom out elevation then use the reticle hold off for shorter range.
for nrl (all targets under 200 yards ) no extra moa is needed prs goes out further, but I use a 20 moa base on a Kidd with standard rings on a strike eagle, and don run out of elevation at 310 yard.

I am mounting a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 on my RPR Rimfire in 22lr.
I know the rifle has a 30 MOA taper base. The only 34mm rings I can get locally are the Night Force Unimount with a 20 MOA, which will give me 50 MOA built in between the rifles base & the unimount.
Will this cause problems with -0- at shorter ranges?
My ultimate goal is to use the rifle in NRL22 or PRS22. Would I be better off ordering a normal set of my favorite Vortex Rings (1.45")?
I use a 20 moa base, with Burris XTR rings with with 30 moa in the rings. If what your are using is too much, then want be able to get 50 yds. The XTR rings have from 0 moa to 40 moa. You can do anything you like.

Reactions: EWS
85 MOA total travel is 42.5 up and 42.5 down on a flat rail.

or saying....

42.5 Useable travel and 42.5 Un-Useable travel on a flat rail.

there are some +/- error there but as a general guideline that is the case.

moving your zero down 50 MOA from the mechanical center of the travel means you cannot zero at that same initial distance.

I would not do a 50 MOA offset in this instance.

But maybe your application is only shooting farther out. If so....you could use the 50 and zero further away intitially.

But I wouldn't want to zero further out than 50yds with a 22LR personally. Holding under sucks most of the time.

I had the same scope and same rifle and used Arken Halo rings in 1.26” and it cleared the hand guard. But just barely.