• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Mounting & Eyerelief Help

MaverickNH

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Bedford, NH
Newbie question:

With my SIG556 Classic, I've struggled with eyerelief when using a DPMS USGI cotton cuff sling from prone, sitting & standing. Granted the folding collapable stock is short, but when I set eyerelief for standing, I find the sling too tight prone and eyerelief too close in.

While I'm not looking to solve the SIG556 problem here, I don't want to duplicate the problem when mounting a new Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 FFP on a new Rem 700P (1st long range rifle).

Thinking a TAB or TIS sling. Any advice appreciated.

Re: Scope Mounting & Eyerelief Help

I usually end up setting my scopes as far forward as the base will allow me, and even then they're often times still a bit too close for prone shooting with a sling.

I wouldn't buy a scope that lists eye relief as 4". That's too much. I prefer scopes with 3.5" of eye relief. For my AR I got a Burris PEPR base and rings that allowed me to get it further forward than just rings on the top rail. For your 700, Evolution Gun Works makes a picatinny rail that has an extra 3" of rail on the front end. That would allow you to get it out further from your eyes. Sometimes, with low rings, the ocular bell won't clear the scope base in this scenario.

If you set up your eye relief to be perfect while standing your eye will likely be too close to the scope when prone.

For your R700, try setting up the eye relief for prone and resign yourself to crawling the stock a bit when you have to shoot it standing up.

I always adjust precision rifles to be the most comfortable from Prone.

If I am in another position I am going to have to compromise something anyway. Adjusting my head position is then generally not a problem.