• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Mounting oddity

firas

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
Hey all...just recieved a NX8 1-8 along with a set of Nightforce 20moa UniMount rings. While getting this mounted up I noticed something that I've never run I to before.

The front portion of the bottom of the turret housing section of the scope is touching the Unimount near the front portion of the turret housing. I can get a .005mm feeler gauge underneath the back portion of the turret housing but I am unable to slide it out the front side.

Will this be an issue/damaging for the scope? I have this on a .22lr currently (hence the 20moa base) but it will end up on other centerfire rifles at some point.
PXL_20210824_222336481.jpg

i would be afraid that doing that, would/could put undue torque/torsion on the scope tube. Much like rings that are not lapped or true. If you were running a walmart optic id say run it, but with the price of NF, id address that immediately.

I agree with what you've said. Are you thinking this is an out of spec mount or just an overlooked item incompatibility?

I'll be looking to swap the mount with a 0MOA mount if this is the way things will be.

I agree with what you've said. Are you thinking this is an out of spec mount or just an overlooked item incompatibility?

I'll be looking to swap the mount with a 0MOA mount if this is the way things will be.
being as its a 20moa mount, if you slide the optic back in the mount some, it may correct this issue, that or take a file to the mount to add clearance.

being as its a 20moa mount, if you slide the optic back in the mount some, it may correct this issue, that or take a file to the mount to add clearance.
That is what I've just done. I was able to get a full sliver of light under the entire turret housing after the rings were torqued, though there is only 3/4" of the scope out front of the forward ring...it will work for now

Send that piece of shit back for a full refund and apply it to a Spuhr.

Reactions: Badjujuu
It's a compatability issue that isn't annotated. Ran that combo for a bit till I sold the mount for the next highest model. Mount was to low for my typical cheek weld anyways.

It's a compatability issue that isn't annotated. Ran that combo for a bit till I sold the mount for the next highest model. Mount was to low for my typical cheek weld anyways.
compatibility? perhaps, but your scope doesn't stick down that far, so seems like that list would be long.
i guess if you're trying for a really low canted one piece mount, you have to consider this.

At least the OP caught it. Saw something similar with a mis-assembled Vortex Razor and Vortex uni-mount at the range last week.
Guy had the turret housing against the upswept portion of the mount, the rear ring had like 1/8" gap. Don't think he bent it, but he ran out of elevation trying to get it on paper at 100 yards.

compatibility? perhaps, but your scope doesn't stick down that far, so seems like that list would be long.
i guess if you're trying for a really low canted one piece mount, you have to consider this.
Yeah, its kinda frustrating that this isnt noted anywhere or have been addressed by nightforce. I found the NX8 1-8 to be the second best option behind the ATACR 1-8 and given the much lower pricetag and lighter weight, it almost wins for me anyways.

The 20moa in the mount + the 20moa built into my receiver allows me to Zero at 50m and I can dial 28mils of elevation. This will get me out to far enough...was able to get a 10" tall group at 462m today with 7/8 rounds (8th was 6" outside the group). I'm thinking I can shrink it down to 5-6" now that I have my barrel tuner set. Held 2mil of wind today but needed another .8 to center up. Thankfully I saw the splash from the first 2 rounds or they all would have been off the edge.

The reticle isn't perfect for me, but I think its pretty damn close. Even though the center hold is .35mil in size, anytime that I would need greater precision I would be needing to hold wind which then has me using the regular .1 thin lines.

Still gotta do a tall target test and get a bubble level before I'm set. I'll have to post a photo or two once the folding adapter arrives as well, its a sick little pea shooter.