• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mounting question....

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
So I've mounted many a scope in my day doing all the typical things that you read about on how to properly mount up a scope (e.g. hanging a plumb line, checking eye relief, proper torque settings, etc) but then after linking to the Hide article that uses the feeler gauges (well written article BTW, here's the link if you haven't read it ), there is a statement that I don't understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, when mounting the rings, be sure to apply forward pressure so that the rings butt against the forward portion of the picatinny slot they are sitting in.</div></div>

Why is this important? I guess I've always believed the opposite and sat the rings toward the rear most portion of the picatinny rail. Can somebody share the logic for why forward instead of rear?

Re: Scope mounting question....

Because as the rifle recoils it comes toward you.
When you mount the scope forward against something solid it can't go forward as it would want to do as the rifle goes backward.
Make sense?
In other words am I explaining it right?

Sure. When the rifle recoils, it's to the rear. The recoil impulse will try to move the rings <span style="font-style: italic">forward</span>. If they are already as far forward in the slot as they can go, they can't move.

I believe this mostly applies to using weaver rings on a picatinny rail. Newton's first law of motion is often stated as "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." What this means is the scope is at rest until the recoil impulse moves the rifle backwards. If anything is loose, the energy in effect would push the scope forward. When the recoil key under the rings contacts a slot in the rail at the forward most position, the scope wont move.

Very interesting. I guess you learn something new everyday on the Hide which is exactly why I frequent this site. Makes perfect sense and don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Now excuse me while i go "readjust" my rifle collection.....
crazy.gif

I just mounted a red dot on a 870 and the instruction that came with the scope said to do just that.

not to be picky but;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..."An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an OUTSIDE force." ...
</div></div>