• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope mounting

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
I am mounting a new scope on my AR flat top receiver and need some advice.

It is a S&B 5x25x56 with an AI one piece mount with 24MOA built into it.

There are no markings on the mount as to front or back. I am assuming that the torq heads go to the right and that the one lug that is on the underside of the mount goes to the rear. I can not tell the cant by using a level.

When I place the scope in the bottom half of the rings, the flat bottom of the middle part of the scope rests against the mount. The rings do not really touch the scope barrel. Almost but not quite.
When I place the ring tops on the scope barrel I have about 2mm of space between the bottom and top of the rings.

There is no way to rotate the scope to align the vertical in case the reticle is not aligned perfectly vertical since the flat scope underside rests o the mount.

Is this correct? This is my first time putting together a flat top AR with a mount and large scope.

Shouldn't the scope have room to rotate to adjust the reticle for vertical and should't the rings touch each other more.

Thanks

Gary

Re: scope mounting

What size rings do you have? Do you have 30mm rings for a 1" scope? If the scope is hitting the receiver before it hits the rings I would think you need higher rings

the 5-25 is a 34mm tube, so unless you mistakenly ordered 35 mm rings thats where the gap could be coming from. Can you tighten the rings down to make them hold the scope? But you might have gotten to low of a height rings

I think the one piece AI mounts are made for the 4-16X42's. I'm sure an AI type guy will be along shortly.