• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scope mounts and rings

Wake_907

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
Im looking at mounting a Leupold freedom 4-12 on my Kimber 84m in 6.5 CM, on Kimbers website they sell Talley scope rings but they seem like a bit of a low quality option for scope rings and im curios if anyone has any opinions on them and if i should just go with some Leupold rings or even EGW. Also curious about installing pic rail so i cand adjust eye reliefe or if just mount the scope normally.
- Thanks

Talley is solid. Defiance believes in them enough to offer them as an option on their custom actions.

Leupold backcountry are good, Mark 4 are good. I hate the old style twist in rings.

Reactions: Wake_907
Second Chevy_man. Talley is solid. Not a huge fan of the vertical split just because it makes mounting a pain or I haven't figured out how to do it correctly.

I wouldn't go with anything other than a pic rail. It's also nice to have a pic rail with a little extension over the front of the action so you can mount the scope where ever you want and not run into the turrets. I haven't had an issue with EGW bases and they are much more reasonable than Badger or some of the others.

I have Talley Lightweights on my Montana.

I didn't want to put anything over the top of the action. CRF and internal box mag...I like having the extra room.

Not sure if the ergos are the same on the hunter as the montana stock. I had lows and had enough clearance. I went to mediums and I LOVE them.

I have 50rds through it since it's been converted from 308 to 358win...sub 6lbs...all is still holding fine. Much more recoil than the 6.5 will produce.

they sell Talley scope rings but they seem like a bit of a low quality option for scope rings

Why, because they're not tacticool milspec picatinny spuhr super snipery?

Talley rings and mounts are bombproof.

Some will provide a lower mounting height than others. Pic rail may add too much. A canted rail can raise the ocular even more. Consider mounting height and eye relief.

it was mainly due to there price, not sure if there a Hugh quality manufacturer selling at a reasonable price or a manufacturer that just has a product to sell.
Why, because they're not tacticool milspec picatinny spuhr super snipery?

Talley rings and mounts are bombproof.

They are some of the best out there. A very well known premium manufacturer that has stood the test of time