• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mounts

freebird63

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho USA
I already have my sightron scope mounted on my sendero, but have been thinking that maybe I want to switch over to s different mounting system and am trying to decide if its worth the money and all effort now???
I have a dual dovetail leupold system on it now and am thinking about the nightforce 40moa picatinny rail with nightforce rings. What does everyone think????

Re: Scope mounts

Depends on what you want to do woth it and what bullet you are running. Are you out of elevation with what you are doing now? Do you need the rail for more eye relief or to hang some accessories of it or are you just wanting the "tacticool" look?

I would do it because it is very solid but I don't know about the 40MOA base. Unless you spend all your time beyond 1000 yards your scope will work better looking through the center of the lenses.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on some of this stuff, have shot guns all my life but just recently got into bigger guns and longer ranges.
The gun is a sendero 300RUM, the scope is a S111 Sightron 6-24x50 with 30mm tube, mil dot reticle and have only sighted it in out to 200 yards so far so am not sure if that answers any of your questions??
The bullet I am shooting is a 210gr berger and have it loaded to about 3100fps
I would like to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards, does not mean I would shoot at a mule deer that far but targets yes.
Right now my gun is at the gunsmiths getting more work done on the trigger and a wyatt extended magazine box put in and a couple other little things.
I like the idea of the nightforce picatinny rail, looks more durable then the dual dovetail mounts that are on there now.
Hope that better helps you to help me.

Get a 20moa base and you will have the best of both worlds. If you never shoot past 100yds you wont notice its there. If you ever want to stretch out there you can..

A friend just put the 20moa rail on his 7RUM and loves it. I don't want to hike back into an area many miles away have find out my scope mounts "dual dovetail" have moved and a buck of a lifetime stands up. I want a rock solid mounting system that will allow me to shoot to 1000 yards and maybe beyond.

The reason i started making my own rings is because i missed a big whitetail buck at about 200yds. Emptied my rifle on him and watched him walk away, discussed. The front mount was a dovetail and the rear was a windage adjustable one. The rear was loose and the front didn't hold much.

When i first started building rings, i had a guy bust a clamp in the middle of a competition. He finished second place with only one scope ring holding. The other was just there for the ride.

Right now the rings i am using are high rings, I wonder when I switch over if I will still have to use high rings or can move down to medium rings with the rail????

The best way to tell is to look at how much space you have between the bell of the scope and the barrel currently, add or subtract the height difference between your current base and new base, and then deduct the difference between your Highs and the Mediums. If it's positive then you have enough clearance to move down. You also need to take into consideration whether you will be using scope caps and also consider whether the slope of the bell will clear the front edge of the base.