• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope on 20 moa base, I have 42 moa up and 26 down

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
i mounted my scope (vortex viper with 68 moa overall travel) on a 20 moa base

after 100 yard zero, i have 42 moa up and 26 down.

what could be causing that, shouldnt i gain alot more "up" travel

rifle is a win 70, egw base, tps rings

Re: scope on 20 moa base, I have 42 moa up and 26 down

overall travel is just that....the erector tube will prolly go the full advertised distance......w/you 20moa base and the glass starting out somewhere in the middle of total travel.....i would say that 42 minutes is about right.....you got what you payed for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">overall travel is just that....the erector tube will prolly go the full advertised distance......w/you 20moa base and the glass starting out somewhere in the middle of total travel.....i would say that 42 minutes is about right.....you got what you payed for </div></div>

thanks for the quick reply.

when you say "you got what you payed for" do you mean if i went with a higher quality base (ie badger) then i would "gain" more than 8 moa?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i mounted my scope (vortex viper with 68 moa overall travel) on a 20 moa base

after 100 yard zero, i have 42 moa up and 26 down.

what could be causing that, shouldnt i gain alot more "up" travel

rifle is a win 70, egw base, tps rings

</div></div>

It is what it is with your rifle,mount,rings and scope.See if you can find a 25 or 30 MOA.

no not at all.....just saying the scope internals ....on such a scope may NOT always be .......delineated directly in half say on a "0" moa base.....so the 20moa certianly helps in the available UP you now got......

its all a function/quality of manufacture of the scope....not the base,,,,be it aluminium or steel or Titainium.......sAvvy ?

ok that makes sense, 42 moa will let me do everything i need todo with this rifle, so im fine with that.

i was just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing anything wrong
grin.gif

thanks again for the quick replies!

You're thinking that in a perfect world, with a 68 MOA scope, with a "0" MOA base you should have 34 up and 34 down...so a 20 MOA base should give you 54 up and 14 down...is that what you are thinking?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Some MOA is always used up in the process of achieving a 100yd zero, because 100yd, though relatively close range, still requires some elevation correction.

So no, to get more "up" you would need a 25-30 MOA base...EGW makes them, but 42 MOA is a pretty usable number for 308.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're thinking that in a perfect world, with a 68 MOA scope, with a "0" MOA base you should have 34 up and 34 down...so a 20 MOA base should give you 54 up and 14 down...is that what you are thinking?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Some MOA is always used up in the process of achieving a 100yd zero, because 100yd, though relatively close range, still requires some elevation correction.

So no, to get more "up" you would need a 25-30 MOA base...EGW makes them, but 42 MOA is a pretty usable number for 308.

TC </div></div>

well, i knew i wouldnt gain the whole 20, but i figured i would gain more than 8.

i need 35 to get to 1k, and i dont know if i will ever shoot that far with this gun. so overall i am happy

Did you ever have it mounted and zeroed at 100 yards prior to getting the slope rail.

My Elite 6500 was right in the middle of 90 moa up at 45 with 100 yard zero no rail. With the rail I'm 24 moa up for 100 yard zero now and I have the 66 up left on my Savage 12 VLP DBM in .223 I put on an EGW 20 moa rail.

More than I need but nice to have.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hifly78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you ever have it mounted and zeroed at 100 yards prior to getting the slope rail.

My Elite 6500 was right in the middle of 90 moa up at 45 with 100 yard zero no rail. With the rail I'm 24 moa up for 100 yard zero now and I have the 66 up left on my Savage 12 VLP DBM in .223 I put on an EGW 20 moa rail.

More than I need but nice to have.

Cheers </div></div>

no, this was a new scope, new base, new rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, i knew i wouldnt gain the whole 20, but i figured i would gain more than 8. </div></div>

Right, that does seem like a low number, but there can be elevation losses due to windage correction and other tolerances as well. These systems are not perfect or identical, unfortunately.

But, if you are still curious, one thing you might check is to remove the screws holding down the rear of the base, leaving the front two in place, and see if the rear of the base springs up a hair and creates a gap between the base and receiver.

This fit is best checked with a new base before installation, as the torquing of the screws may have slightly bent the base to fit the receiver.

If there is a gap, even a few thousandths will consume some of your MOA when the base is torqued back down.

If there is no gap, then your base/receiver may be within tolerances.

You can do some searching here on bedding the base to gain a better understanding of the issues involved.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hifly78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Elite 6500 was right in the middle of 90 moa up at 45 with 100 yard zero no rail. With the rail I'm 24 moa up for 100 yard zero now and I have the 66 up left on my Savage 12 VLP DBM in .223 I put on an EGW 20 moa rail.</div></div>

The double round ring Savage receiver should tend to minimize the rear receiver ring height variation found in flat rear receivers.

TC