• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope on a tight budget

kudu40

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2008
I currently have a Leupold 3.5x10 tactical on my .338 Lapua and was thinking about going to something around 18 to 20 power. My wallet will allow me to spend about $1000.00 US. Depending on the make, I will possibly be paying wholesale not retail price. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to which scope will serve me best for that money?
Thanks,

Kudu40

What about selling the current scope you have to add to the $1000? YOu woud have many options then, I would look into a used NXS 5.5-22 for a .338LM

I would not rush and spend your $1000 I'd save more money then sell your scope and buy a very quality scope. If there is one thing to not limit your self on its optics.

I agree with What Irish said. Save your money and get something that will let you optimize that rifle.

I currently have a Leupold 3.5x10 tactical on my .338 Lapua and was thinking about going to something around 18 to 20 power. My wallet will allow me to spend about $1000.00 US. Depending on the make, I will possibly be paying wholesale not retail price. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to which scope will serve me best for that money?
Thanks,

Kudu40

I do not advertise or promote any product, especially a rifle scope because you'll get into some heavy discussions and some people are very fixed about what they believe is right and your wrong.. I'm only writing this because recently I was in the same position as you right now. I was in need of a new scope for my TRG22, didn't want to spend a ton of money. I was talking to a friend who went to the Shot Show, he returned very impressed with the Meopta line of scopes and suggested I look into one; he told me the glass in the Meostar line is as good as SB.

SB is known as one of the top quality scopes in the world, I've used one of the PM2's and it's great scope. I only wish I had the money, thats what I would be running on my TRG. Well not being able to personally check out one of these Meopta scopes I ended up ordering one from SportOptics and I have to say that my friend was right, the glass in this scope (R1 4-16X44 AO) is really great. I took it to the range today and compared the glass with my friends SB PM2: you know what I discovered? apart from a couple of design features, that the Meopta is $2200 cheaper then the SB PM2. Needless to say although I would if I could, would rather have the PM2 but for now this will do nicely.. Check one out you might be impressed too....

The problem with the Meopta 4-16 mentioned is I think it has limited elevation travel, something in the vicinity of 45 moa. I would suggest saving a little more and buying a used Vortex Razor 5-20x50, they are FFP, illuminated, Zero Stop heaps of available elevation and rugged. I doubt there is anyone missing a shot because they used a Vortex Razor over say a Schmidt bender.

Suggestions of NXS 5.5-22 is also good advice, but I prefer FFP scopes if I have a choice.

I would also suggest Vortex PST but some have had issues on the big magnums.

Might get hated on but I've had decent luck w/Nikon Pro Staff & especially like the Monarch.
You can find refurbished ones pocket friendly at Natchez.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the cheaper priced scopes mentioned (except for the meopta, never heard of those so can't comment on it) but he already has an ok scope.

Might as well hold out for a little bit and buy a scope you know isn't going to fail on a big rifle and one you know later on you won't be disappointed with.

If you can save up another 700 or so, that can probably get you into the range of some really nice used scope like the vortex razor hd (which pretty much is like buying a new one since it has a transferable no questions ask warranty), or save a few hundred more and buy a new razor hd.

If you cannot wait though, go with one of the suggestions above but I would be leery of their versatility on a .338. I do not know if they would hold up or not, I have never put one of them on a large caliber rifle but some of them are ok scopes.

Surprised no one has mentioned the SS 5-20x50 HD.
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
It has 30 mils of elevation, 10 mils per rev turrets, 10 mils of holdover in the reticle, can stand up to hard kicking magnums, and has a nice 4" of eye relief. It was built to compare favorably with the Razor's and Nightforce NXS's, but with a smaller price tag. Can be found on here used for around a grand. It is a good enough scope that wouldn't need to be upgraded later for any real practical benefit, IMO.

Scope on a tight budget

At my next match I will be shooting a 12x Mil/Mil Super Sniper. It works. It's all I need. Cost: $299

For under $1000 I would do a SWFA mil/mil scope any day. Very happy with the ones I have and they work very well.

EDIT: But as I went back up to read the caliber. If you want to do long range stuff, I would save money and buy a Steiner or S&B if the rifle is worthy of such a scope.

I failed to mention that if I buy Leupold, Accupoint, Nikon, Millett or Weaver, I can get wholesale price which would give me more bang for my buck.
Thanks for all the input.

Kudu40

Yeah, the wholesale pricing would make a big difference for sure. In that case, you might be getting best value with the Mk4 here: Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 ER/T 30mm Riflescope
It would be an excellent scope if it fit your budget with the discount. The FFP and mil/mil with TMR reticle would be my pick, since the Mk6 is out of your budget right now.

Yeah, the wholesale pricing would make a big difference for sure. In that case, you might be getting best value with the Mk4 here: Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 ER/T 30mm Riflescope
It would be an excellent scope if it fit your budget with the discount. The FFP and mil/mil with TMR reticle would be my pick, since the Mk6 is out of your budget right now.

Agreed! I just picked up one of these brand new for $1500.....except mine is a mildot in MOA. I like the Leupold's.....great quality glass and for the price range they're tough to beat. I have had no disappointments with this so far.

If you're looking for a scope right now and set at that price I like the SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD in mil/mil as well... bonus thing about it is all that travel which would really help on long distance... plus it loves high caliber magnums...

Talk to Scott at Liberty Optics and you may be pleasantly surprised at the price of a new DMR. I just ordered one for my GAP.

I thought about saying that but I'm not sure if Scott has them in stock or is still selling them for the ridiculously low new price I bought mine for.

Always worth giving him a call, or any other SH vendors for that matter, they all take care of the members here.

Joe

As far as the limited travel available with the Meopta, I have badger 20 minute bases if that makes a difference.
Thanks again for all the help.

Kudu40