• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope On or Scope Off??

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
I have an SKB 2-Rifle case that is too small for 2 rifles like mine and too large (by only a little) for only one. To give my rifle a nicer carry case without buying another one I decided to "re-foam" the SKB. Found a good supply of "Firm Charcoal" sheet foam and ordered a 1/3 sheet piece. (The Foam Factory Inc's online store).

Now I'd like some other's views on how I should arrange the rifle and accessories I'll travel with.

First, do I leave the scope on or take it off when packing in this case. The rifle is a Remington 700 with B&C Medalist Tac/Varmint stock (similar to McM A-5) and the scope a NF 12-42X56 NXS. With the scope on the rail the top turret is about 1" from the hinge side and the bottom of the stock about the same from the "lock side. The scope is mounted in NF Rings and when removed and then re-mounted it maintains almost a perfect zero. I am considering dismounting the scope and rings from the rail and making it's own little "nest" in the foam so there's plenty of "crush room" should the case be mis-handled.

Kind of curious how others approach this. Separate scope/rifle with pockets for each or just leave the scope mounted and rely on the case and the only 1" foam separator.

Lastly, what "essentials" do you pack with your Bolt Action rifles. Cleaning rod? Cleaning Kit? Ammo? Tools? Because the case is thicker than needed the upper half of the case will have room for a few goodies and I'll be able to hold them in place with a few pieces of velcro'd strapping.

Any suggestions or pictures would be great.

I know it "looks right" when you have the scope at the hinge side and you OPEN the case, but if you think about how the rifle is transported, and when the case is standing up (horizontally) that puts your scope on the bottom where basically any unsupported weight of your rifle is being supported by the scope. I switched all mine around to where the scope is UP towards the lock side, which looks backwards when I open the case, but at least in my mind I'm protecting the scope better. I'm probably over/under-thinking that ;)

I switched all mine around to where the scope is UP towards the lock side, which looks backwards when I open the case, but at least in my mind I'm protecting the scope better. I'm probably over/under-thinking that ;)

Yeah, I gave that a whole lot of thought too. Even with the rifle at the hinge side, the scope is, in my mind, too close to the case. I've even considered adding some reinforcement or bridging in the case to prevent "crushing" but so far all I can see is to remove the scope for transport. I'd then just pack my torque wrench in with the rifle so I could easily remove/reinstall.

As for "backwards", since I'm Right Handed I'd put the rifle in the case with muzzle left. This would not only make for a natural position while removing, it would put the rifle "butt down" when I'm too lazy to carry the case and merely roll it on the wheels built into the case :)

I always run mine with the scope on, but as BogeyBrown said above....make sure you have it laid out right. I too see soo many people set it up so the scope is on the bottom....away from the handles when being carried. If you're carrying $3K + in glass, it could e an expensive lesson.

I run a pelican case with my rifle. I have it laid out so the bolt is seperated from the gun, and the optics are on the gun. I also have a spot for ear muffs and a small section that i can put my range finder and a kestrel in. That way when i travel all my expensive items are together and protected by the foam.

Reactions: Trident3033
I always run mine with the scope on, but as BogeyBrown said above....make sure you have it laid out right. I too see soo many people set it up so the scope is on the bottom....away from the handles when being carried. If you're carrying $3K + in glass, it could e an expensive lesson.

I run a pelican case with my rifle. I have it laid out so the bolt is seperated from the gun, and the optics are on the gun. I also have a spot for ear muffs and a small section that i can put my range finder and a kestrel in. That way when i travel all my expensive items are together and protected by the foam.

YEP, exactly!! Butt side towards the wheels, scope toward the carrying handle. I also keep all the other expensive gizmos (PLRF/Kestrel) in the case, since I get tired of explaining to TSA what they are and the rifle case is the best way of protecting them.

I'm looking at getting a hard case soon. Thanks for the information. I never thought about it until I seen this thread all of it makes sense though. I'll keep this in mind when I cut my foam. Thanks.

Interesting....when my dad taught me to shoot as a younger kid, I always knew to transport with the scope towards the handle of the case. For the last year though I've transported my 700 in the terrible case it came in with the scope towards the bottom. I never thought about it until now but somehow I have forgotten the experience I was taught....thanks for the reminder...

Adam

Interesting....when my dad taught me to shoot as a younger kid, I always knew to transport with the scope towards the handle of the case. For the last year though I've transported my 700 in the terrible case it came in with the scope towards the bottom. I never thought about it until now but somehow I have forgotten the experience I was taught....thanks for the reminder...

Adam

That makes sense actually, since the cases we grew up with (hard or soft) tended to be shaped with that bulge at the top where the handle was, and it made it intuitive to position the rifle with the scope in that "hump". In fact, most of those cases would only fit a scoped rifle in that fashion. The rectangular Pelican-style cases will let you place the rifle how you want. The tendency seems to be for the rifle to be "on display" with the case open, all laid out and pretty right-side up and all that. It's not like you're working out of the case, it's job is to protect the rifle/scope/equipment during transport. Once you get to the range or wherever, the rifle comes out and is being used. That's why I never really cared about the ergonomics of retrieving the rifle from the case, I only have to do that ONCE. I need the case to protect the rifle/scope to the best of it's ability, period.

Another reason to put the scope towards the handle. For a right handed action that is! Is that it puts the serial numbered side of the receiver facing out. So if you fly, it's less opted to get finger f'd by TSA employees. Or taken out of the case and just thrown back in. I like the foam to be snug around the rifle, not overtly tight though

Even with the scope at the handle end I keep the foam snug around the whole rifle. But leave a good sizable gap on the top and bottom of the scope. That way even when TSA and airlines place the case upside down the scope never bares the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wrap my precious in bubble wrap before putting it inside a big PVC tube then put that in a pelican

Even with the scope at the handle end I keep the foam snug around the whole rifle. But leave a good sizable gap on the top and bottom of the scope. That way even when TSA and airlines place the case upside down the scope never bares the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I finally got the foam, cut it, and installed it. Here's the rifle and case as it is now. I still have 2" of foam on the top that I'm planning on putting cut-outs in to keep a couple of plastic boxes with brushes, mops, patches, etc, and also make a cut that I can just tuck the cleaning rod in.

As you'll note, even with the rifle against the bottom padding there isn't a lot of room between the scope turret and the top of the case. No worries though, my rifle will never be in the hands of TSA ---EVER. I used to fly so much before I retired I now only travel to places where there are roads. They may not have any paving or flat surfaces but if my 4X4 can make it I consider it a road. That gives me a whole lot of places I can go on the North and South American Continents without flying.

ry%3D400

Still trying to decide what goes in the case and what doesn't. So far the Tactical Interventions Quick Cuff Sling has a space. The rest will just "happen" with time. Definitely will be some room for a box of ammo :)

Reactions: Trident3033
Careful with that. In some states, mine included, it is illegal to have ammo inside the rifle case. If you get caught, they can confiscate your rifle.

Noted. I'm pretty careful about looking up gun laws in any state I plan on visiting so I don't run afoul of local laws. If I don't plan on stopping at all I just rely on Federal Law for safe transport through that state.

Here where I live, as long as the rifle isn't loaded it's GTG. Can't have a loaded magazine inserted even without a round chambered. Here, it's actually a Hunting Regulation, not a "Gun Law".

Well, I finally got the foam, cut it, and installed it. Here's the rifle and case as it is now. I still have 2" of foam on the top that I'm planning on putting cut-outs in to keep a couple of plastic boxes with brushes, mops, patches, etc, and also make a cut that I can just tuck the cleaning rod in.

As you'll note, even with the rifle against the bottom padding there isn't a lot of room between the scope turret and the top of the case. No worries though, my rifle will never be in the hands of TSA ---EVER. I used to fly so much before I retired I now only travel to places where there are roads. They may not have any paving or flat surfaces but if my 4X4 can make it I consider it a road. That gives me a whole lot of places I can go on the North and South American Continents without flying.

ry%3D400

Still trying to decide what goes in the case and what doesn't. So far the Tactical Interventions Quick Cuff Sling has a space. The rest will just "happen" with time. Definitely will be some room for a box of ammo :)
very helpful - thanks.

Very helpful - thanks

Why did you bump a 7 year old thread, not once, but twice? The second time months apart.

These forums need a necro lock to stop this. Tired of reading a thread, get a few posts into it, and find it to be ancient.