• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope options for my new rifle

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
Hey all,

I just got a new rifle that I'll use for bench shooting but also for hunting because it's so light (compared to my tactical rifle). I was thinking about getting a Millet TRS-1 for it, but since I'm going to be using it for hunting too, perhaps I should get a SS 3-9x. I'm sure it'd be nice to zoom in to 16x and see the fleas jumping off the buck before my 175gr bullet pelts it...but I won't ever dial up that high for a 200yard shot.

Couldn't decide whether I should post this in the hunting section or optics...a quarter decided.

What scopes do you hunters use? My budget is around $600-700. If a 4-16x scope is an option, I'm sure I can keep the power down to 9x.
smile.gif

Re: Scope options for my new rifle

I used a Leupold VXII 2x-7x and liked it for what I was using it for. I zeroed the rifle at 100 meters and was GTG.

Unless you are hunting over feeders sooner or later you will see that trophy buck out about 500 yards then you will be wanting that little extra pwr boost, and remember you dont have to dial in all that power but when you dont have it its not available, just my thoughts

Go Leupold 3.5X10 and have a M1 Elv knob installed by there custom shop.It will make it fast and easy to zero in at different ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DuaneC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you are hunting over feeders sooner or later you will see that trophy buck out about 500 yards then you will be wanting that little extra pwr boost, and remember you dont have to dial in all that power but when you dont have it its not available, just my thoughts </div></div>

I wouldn't ever take a shot from that far though. I have a good set of binoculars for spotting when I'm out hunting. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a greater magnification than 9x, but for tracking, pulling back to 5x is nice.
smile.gif

The Vortex Viper 2-7 is on clearance right now for a heck of a price.

Was just going to say the same thing. I purchased mine a couple of days ago from cameraland for 185 delivered wit the bdc reticule. Going to look nice on my cz 527 full stock.

Has anybody seen or used the Vortex Viper PST in 2.5-10x?? I know there is a wait for the 4-16x but what about this one?

For the money though...wow...the Viper 2-7x sounds really good...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For the money though...wow...the Viper 2-7x sounds really good...</div></div>

I love mine for a nice light hunting optic. Kinda wish the ret was illum, but it's a pretty minor gripe for me.

When you say you will use it for bench shooting what is your max range? For me it would be hard to combine a bench scope and a hunting scope into one. For bench shooting I use a 12-42X56 NXS and for hunting I use a 3-9 magnification Zeiss Diavari. Two totally different scopes for two totally different applications. The millet you listed or better yet the 4-16 viper pst seems to be the best compromise in your price range.

Bench rest shooting for me is normally 200-250yrds. I get to move out to 600 once every couple of months or so. There are romoured 1000yard ranges around here, but I've yet to find them.

I agree that a 3-9x is perfect for hunting.

I might get the Viper 2.5-10x and a LaRue mount to take it off when I go to the range and want to get more magnification with another scope. So I'll have to add the cost of his mount to the scope's $. I broke the scope I borrowed from my tactical rifle yesterday after an hour.
frown.gif
Now I have two guns without scopes until I get the replacement back in the mail.

Great priced HUNTING optic is Burris Fullfiled II 4.5-14x42 with Ballistic Plex reticle. Great price (under 300) and real decent glass. I recomend them to anyone looking for a new hunthing scope. have one on my Savage 300 win hunting rifle with 400+ rounds down it and lots of beating with no loss of zero.