• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes scope parallax question

bmacconaghy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2013
Seattle, wa
I am currently shopping for a long range front focal plane scope, and I've been reading reviews and comparisons. I've never done unknown distance work, so this will be my first "tactical" optic if you will. My history has been with scopes like weaver and BSA for high power pistol silhouette, so I recognized that I have no taste in scopes... My question is about the need for parallax adjustment that goes down to about 10 yards like these scopes:

Tactical March-F 3x-24x 52mm FFP
Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56
swfa ss 10x42M
swfa ss 3-15x42

Most optics don't focus that close. The only three applications I can think of for this would be using the rifle for very close target shooting or hunting, tactical matches with a stage of tiny targets at very close distances, and military applications like a loop. (I'm assuming you need to focus on the hole in the wall to shoot through it... maybe that's not the case) I like the PMII, but it's a little spendy. The options would open up if 50m was close enough, you know? I'm thinking of buying a high end scope now instead of trying to upgrade from the swfa's later. I think I would like to try shooting a tactical match with it later and maybe trying the loop thing, but I don't want to end up wishing I had picked the scope that focuses at close range. I'm interested to hear opinions from people with experience. Thanks.

I'm not going to be helpful, not because I don't want to, but because I don't have an answer. I have heard seasoned shooters list, among other attributes, the ability of the S&B 5-25x56 PM II to eliminate parallax down to 10 yards as a reason they chose it.

What is the "military loop"?

I thought they called it a loop when you shoot through a hole in the wall. That's what they called it on the history channel. Maybe they just call it a hole in the wall. I don't know.

I am currently shopping for a long range front focal plane scope, and I've been reading reviews and comparisons. I've never done unknown distance work, so this will be my first "tactical" optic if you will. My history has been with scopes like weaver and BSA for high power pistol silhouette, so I recognized that I have no taste in scopes... My question is about the need for parallax adjustment that goes down to about 10 yards like these scopes:

Tactical March-F 3x-24x 52mm FFP
Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56
swfa ss 10x42M
swfa ss 3-15x42

Most optics don't focus that close. The only three applications I can think of for this would be using the rifle for very close target shooting or hunting, tactical matches with a stage of tiny targets at very close distances, and military applications like a loop. (I'm assuming you need to focus on the hole in the wall to shoot through it... maybe that's not the case) I like the PMII, but it's a little spendy. The options would open up if 50m was close enough, you know? I'm thinking of buying a high end scope now instead of trying to upgrade from the swfa's later. I think I would like to try shooting a tactical match with it later and maybe trying the loop thing, but I don't want to end up wishing I had picked the scope that focuses at close range. I'm interested to hear opinions from people with experience. Thanks.

One of the reasons for such close parallax adjustment is for dry firing purposes. It is difficult to dry fire indoors if you have to find a place that is ranged 50 meters or more. And dry fire practicing is key to learning good shooting fundamentals. Another reason is simple variance amongst the shooters. Parallax is not an exact science since there are so many biological variances between people. Parallax might not work below 100 meters for some people and others might really get down to 10 meters. Also, sometimes your shots might be within 100 meters. I spoken with several police snipers and they rarely shoot much past 100 meters, so with the "Police Marksmen" series of Schmidt and Bender scopes, it is aptly named.

I personally own the 5-25x56 PMII and I have absolutely no regrets, what so ever. I love that scope.

Meanwhile, I will be up in your neck of the woods on the first weekend in May of this year to compete at the Upper Nisqually monthly rifle match: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...atches-upper-nisqually-sportsmans-club-3.html

You might want to check them out and see what they are running and maybe even try out a Schmidt and Bender. I think some guys run that scope.

And finally, here is my experience with the Schmidt and Bender and their customer service: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...xcellent-customer-service-schmidt-bender.html

Let me know if I can help out in anyway.

That would be a 'loophole', and it's not relevant to the problem. The close parallax is nice for close targets, that's all. It's really meaningless even for that, since the maximum parallax error at 10 yards is probably about .02 inches, but it does give you a clear view, which may or may not be handy on some bizarre match stage somewhere. Of all the features to use when choosing a scope, this is about as important what scope caps come with it.

CoryT, thanks for your input. I wasn't basing my choice on this; it's just another variable. Please excuse my ignorance on the loophole thing.