• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope poi change. Wat do I do next

OzTRG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
hi guys,

i am after some advice regarding an issue an issue with my scope (leupold 6.5-20x50). I believe it was knocked during transport to a match by airline baggage handlers, ending up 0.8mil in elevation hi, without a change in the turret position. I have rezeroed. Essentially my question is, is there any thing else I need to do to the scope? (Service it?).

i am comfortable that it is the scope as I went through a process of shooting to confirm poi shift; tighten action screws, reshoot confirm poi shift, check pic rail tightness, reshoot and confirm poi shift, check scope mounts, reshoot and confirm poi shift. Re zeroed, slipped turrets and shot 1 shot at zero, dialled 10 mil, fired 1 shot and repeat 5 times. Groups where they should be (turret continues to track at 99.7% as it did prior to shift).

any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Was the change .8 mils at 100 yards?

I ask because you were travleing and if you shot at a density altitude different than what you usually shoot in then at 800 or 1000Y you might see a .8 mil change.

Why on earth would you put your glass in the hands of the ramp monkeys? Do a tracking test. See what it tells you.

Thanks guys,
i have already resolved to remove the scope and carry it on in the future. Diverdon - I am happy with the DA I obtained at the location where I travelled to compete, update my ballistics app, and the same on my return and testing. The shift was not due to change in environmentals. Checked with 2 different kestrels. Thanks for the thoughts.

Invest in a good hard case with good foam....not the cheap stuff. Don't necessarily need a rifle specific cutout but suppose it cant hurt.

I--my opinion--woudl never pull my scope off before I flew each time. If its in a decent case, I don't think the handlers could shift the scope....but you never know. That's what the pre-match zero time is for..a tenth or two adjustment if needed. I would be more worried about Murphy's law putting the scope on in my hotel room or at the firing line. Canted reticent, lost nut or bolt, something strips, etc, etc..not to mention getting banged around in my backpack.

A good scope is pretty rugged. Has to be....thousands of rounds. I know the handlers can tear crap up, but I don't know anyone that removes their scope when they fly. I am sure some do,but to each their own. Seems that is more risk than a good case.

ZY

Thanks zy you make some good points. it was in a pelican case with a friends rifle. So in hind sight there was not enough space between the edge of the case and the turret.

can anyone tell me if there is likely to be damage to the scope? Or is is simply a case of mechanically it has been displaced and now that it is rezeroed it should be fine with no permanent damage

Ok, your scope is fine, right? Then nothing happened to it. Another non issue wasted space thread. Plus, Leupold has a warranty. You should be communicating with them.

Thanks culpeper,
for me it was not a wasted exercise - if I don't ask how do I know. Isn't that the point of the forum? Unfortunately There are only distributors of leupold in my country so engaging with them is not that simple (even in the age of the internet). But you are entitled to your opinion, which is valid just not that helpful to me. Thanks to everyone for thier time and efforts.

If Culpeper ran this forum, he'd just shut it down and refer people to the "search" function and manufacturers.