• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Positioning and Chassis Setup

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I've got a new Tikka T3X CTR and a Bravo KRG on the way and I have a question about scope/chassis setup. In the past when I've mounted a scope, I've had to work within the confines of the rifle/stock (ex. moving the scope forward because my LOP wasn't adjustable or getting low rings because my cheekweld wasn't adjustable), but now that I'll have an adjustable chassis, it got me thinking...

What is the optimal process to setup a new rifle/scope when you have the flexibility to adjust the chassis around the scope, or adjust the scope around the chassis?

Just as an example, should you...
1. Adjust LOP (in my case, spacers) until it's comfortable, regardless of scope positioning.
2. Mount the scope (either low or high, based on your opinion on the subject).
3. Adjust the cheek riser height until you have the best sight picture.
4. Move the scope forward/backward until you have the best sight picture (at full magnification or most used magnification?).
5. Adjust the scope diopter with max magnification and the parallax set to infinity.
6. Etc.

Thank you.

#2 & #3 should be done to optimize head placement in an upright position; think eyes parallel to the ground. Your cheek piece would then support that position in a way that’s most comfortable.

Overall summary is setting up everything to the shooter, one thing at a time.

The first section of @lowlight's book covers this topic in great detail.

The first section of @lowlight's book covers this topic in great detail.

thanks for posting this. I am going to order it.

I've got a new Tikka T3X CTR and a Bravo KRG on the way and I have a question about scope/chassis setup. In the past when I've mounted a scope, I've had to work within the confines of the rifle/stock (ex. moving the scope forward because my LOP wasn't adjustable or getting low rings because my cheekweld wasn't adjustable), but now that I'll have an adjustable chassis, it got me thinking...

What is the optimal process to setup a new rifle/scope when you have the flexibility to adjust the chassis around the scope, or adjust the scope around the chassis?

Just as an example, should you...
1. Adjust LOP (in my case, spacers) until it's comfortable, regardless of scope positioning.
2. Mount the scope (either low or high, based on your opinion on the subject).
3. Adjust the cheek riser height until you have the best sight picture.
4. Move the scope forward/backward until you have the best sight picture (at full magnification or most used magnification?).
5. Adjust the scope diopter with max magnification and the parallax set to infinity.
6. Etc.

Thank you.

thanks for posting this and I am looking forward to the answers. I am new to all this as well.

Set the rifle up to you without the optic on it.

Then decide which height scope rings get the optic closest working for you with the least amount of changes to the chassis.

Everything (chassis and optic) is setup and moved to the shooter. Not the other way around.

Set the rifle up to you without the optic on it.

Then decide which height scope rings get the optic closest working for you with the least amount of changes to the chassis.

Everything (chassis and optic) is setup and moved to the shooter. Not the other way around.

Is there a guide to get the optimal setup for a chassis? I am new to this

Is there a guide to get the optimal setup for a chassis? I am new to this

There’s several threads about it. Try search function and I’ll look for some good ones.

I highly suggest the online training here as well as finding an instructor who is big into fundamentals. Being new this will save you a ton of time with learning curve.

Reactions: ofl0926
There’s several threads about it. Try search function and I’ll look for some good ones.

I highly suggest the online training here as well as finding an instructor who is big into fundamentals. Being new this will save you a ton of time with learning curve.

copy that sir.
Ill take a look at the videos. Finding an instructor in South Florida will be interesting.