• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope power Mirage

muleman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Denton, Neb.
Looking at 5.5-22 or 8-32 scope, would prefer the 32 power on the top end but trying to decide if 8 power is to high on the bottom end. Looking through my 4-12 it doesent seem that much difference between 6 or 8 power, I can still acquire a still target at 30yds with ease. Scope will be used for open range hunting and long range shooting (1000+ yards). When getting into higher power scopes what range does Mirage start effecting vision dramatacaly? 20-25 Power???? I realize alot of varibles come in to play. Just generally speaking what power range? Thanks for your input, Wayne

Re: Scope power Mirage

the higher the power, the more the mirage affects what you see. A warmer day will gain more mirage as compared to a cooler day. On a cold day, most mirage is from the barrel. If you can see teh target it does make for a good windage measure though

Assumeing A 70 degree day 50% humidity, at what power would you start haveing problems?

Go with the 5.5-22. Better, more usable power range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assumeing A 70 degree day 50% humidity, at what power would you start haveing problems? </div></div>

The short answer is that there is a lot more to mirage than a straight temperature v humidity ratio. The long answer is beyond my expertise, but I do know that there <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a long answer, which is half the battle!

Think of it this way: assume you have a parking lot adjacent to a grassy area. On the same day, same conditions over both the grass and pavement, the pavement will likely give you more mirage as it will heat up more. The next question of course is what other types of surfaces will give you more or less mirage, and that unfortunately is where my knowledge ends. Perhaps someone else will chime in...

As for power, very rough rule of thumb I've found is that 20x and above will start to give you more and more mirage. 10x you are probably ok for most situations. 15-20x, eh, maybe a bit of mirage, but most likely useable. 32x will definitely show mirage if there is mirage to be shown

I've seen terrible mirage on days when there is moisture coming out of the soil but otherwise fairly low humidity so there is really no rule of thumb. I prefer my 20 to my 25 because the reticle is calibrated at max magnification and I need the reticle to be accurate. At times I wish I had a 4.5 x 14 because its difficult to make use of 20x.

If you don't need to accurately use a milling reticle (meaning you just want a duplex), go for the 32x. You'll have the extra power when you can actually use it.

muleman,

Open range hunting and LR shooting over 1K+ yds.

Hunting really tops out at around 700-800 yds. There are some exceptional shots that can stretch that to 1K, but they are among the very few. With respect to game shooting, scope power and target size should be compatible.

For LR shooting in respect to scope power, two things need to be considered target size and precision.

Benchrest shooting requires precision, hence the need for high scope powers 30x and above. But long range shooting does not require such precision, because hitting your target is what counts, not how small your group may be.

Given a 1 moa target @ 1500 yds, that target will appear to be through the scope:

@ 20x 75 yds away
@ 25x 60 yds away
@ 32x 47 yds away

Since anyone of normal vision can see a 15"+ target at any of those distances with their naked eye, really any scope 20x or larger will more than fill the bill.

When you consider that mirage, exit pupil, eye relief, and eye box size, all get worse as scope power goes up from 20x to 32x. And hunting and LR shooting at times requires low light capability, all these factors mitigate against going much above 20-25x.

Certainly a 5-22 NF can handle such chores easily. But a 32x NF is a very specialized instrument, and I'm not sure much is gained in visual acuity power, compared to what is lost in other areas.

32x is really designed for benchrest use, not for hunting nor shooting at relatively large targets at longish range. Your description does not seem to warrant such a scope.

YMMV,

Bob

Reactions: stanley_white

Thanks Bob, Thats exactly the explaination I was looking for, 5.5-22 is what I'm going with. Thanks to all that responded!!!