• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Power Need For Long Range Shooting

geronimo2011

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Hello,

I am building a rifling to be used for a mixed of sport long range shooting and hunting big game. I want the ability for sport to shoot out to 2000 yards for my 300 PRC. I was looking at the ATACR 4-20. Is this enough power or should i go with the 5-25? I do not want to go up if I’m don’t have to since this is a multi use scope and weight needs to be taken into account so i am looking for anyone who has experience with same scope powers and distances. Thanks!

Hello,

I am building a rifling to be used for a mixed of sport long range shooting and hunting big game. I want the ability for sport to shoot out to 2000 yards for my 300 PRC. I was looking at the ATACR 4-20. Is this enough power or should i go with the 5-25? I do not want to go up if I’m don’t have to since this is a multi use scope and weight needs to be taken into account so i am looking for anyone who has experience with same scope powers and distances. Thanks!
I have an ATACR 5-25 and 7-35, neither is what I would consider and hunting scope. Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 is a better fit for the hunting side, but you will likely run out of elevation unless you run a 40 moa rail or mount (and you will not be able to use the zero stop). That will probably be a common theme for a lot of the optics that fit this bill. There are some Leopold's that come to mind as well.

A couple things that will be helpful, What are you hunting? Elk, deer, bear? What is your closest anticipated shot? Also, what size of target are you trying to shoot at 2000 yards? And is this a hunting rifle you want to target shoot with, or a target gun you want to hunt with? You can't do both well unless you hunt from a fixed blind or some situation with limited walking or movement.

4-20 should be plenty. I'd say most probably don't use over 20 or so unless they're punching paper or spotting. Least not in my experience

For my fclass setup I have a 15-55 and have used every bit of that range based on mirage

For my AIAT I run a 4-16 ATACR. Which mainly gets used for hunting. Does in the summer for crop damage where spikes are something you need to avoid. Over 500 yards it’s left me wanting more magnification

My AXMC in 300 PRC wears a 7-35 NF ATACR. Will fill the same role and work out good for that type of shooting. I wouldn’t choose this if low light and closer range was my normal shooting. I think 7 power inside 100 at last light would be to much

I’ve used Athlon 4.5-29 Cronus BTR and thought that was a good compromise. Also have used Sightron 6-24 SIII for many years with good results

I always figure it’s better to have the magnification and not use it. But for hunting it can be more important to have less magnification on the low end

This is hunting 0-1200 yards
Target shooting 0-1800 yards

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
For my fclass setup I have a 15-55 and have used every bit of that range based on mirage

For my AIAT I run a 4-16 ATACR. Which mainly gets used for hunting. Does in the summer for crop damage where spikes are something you need to avoid. Over 500 yards it’s left me wanting more magnification

My AXMC in 300 PRC wears a 7-35 NF ATACR. Will fill the same role and work out good for that type of shooting. I wouldn’t choose this if low light and closer range was my normal shooting. I think 7 power inside 100 at last light would be to much

I’ve used Athlon 4.5-29 Cronus BTR and thought that was a good compromise. Also have used Sightron 6-24 SIII for many years with good results

I always figure it’s better to have the magnification and not use it. But for hunting it can be more important to have less magnification on the low end

This is hunting 0-1200 yards
Target shooting 0-1800 yards
How's the cronus compare to the atcr

How's the cronus compare to the atcr
- Glass is the same (to my eyes)
- NF seems heavier/better built
- I prefer NF turrets
- I prefer Cronus illumination
- I don’t care for NF rotating ocular (but comes with tenebraex caps which solves this)
- I like NF track record for toughness
- I like the Zero stop on the Cronus better
- Reticle is a preference (NF MIL XT is great for mil shooters and similar to Cronus tree style)
- MOA has the + but I’d truly prefer the • reticle center. But that’s again preference
- NF built in throw lever is nice

I have an ATACR 5-25 and 7-35, neither is what I would consider and hunting scope. Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 is a better fit for the hunting side, but you will likely run out of elevation unless you run a 40 moa rail or mount (and you will not be able to use the zero stop). That will probably be a common theme for a lot of the optics that fit this bill. There are some Leopold's that come to mind as well.

A couple things that will be helpful, What are you hunting? Elk, deer, bear? What is your closest anticipated shot? Also, what size of target are you trying to shoot at 2000 yards? And is this a hunting rifle you want to target shoot with, or a target gun you want to hunt with? You can't do both well unless you hunt from a fixed blind or some situation with limited walking or movement.
The target size is what ever the range has up that day and what ever we get for our property as well. I’m thinking rectangular target 3x5. I’m not too worried about weight between the ATACR 4-20 and 5-25 because when I want it for hunting purposes i made up the weight with using only poly mags, proof barrel, and anTi actions. Elk, mule deer, moose, anything in that category. I have the razor LHT 4.5-22 on one of my 308’s and some my Leopold on my old competition, which i do not do any more. So without wasting a bunch of money on two guns, 1 all around rifle and 1 very accurate hunting rifle.

The target size is what ever the range has up that day and what ever we get for our property as well. I’m thinking rectangular target 3x5. I’m not too worried about weight between the ATACR 4-20 and 5-25 because when I want it for hunting purposes i made up the weight with using only poly mags, proof barrel, and anTi actions. Elk, mule deer, moose, anything in that category. I have the razor LHT 4.5-22 on one of my 308’s and some my Leopold on my old competition, which i do not do any more. So without wasting a bunch of money on two guns, 1 all around rifle and 1 very accurate hunting rifle.
Given your target size, 20x would be ok but not ideal. I have shot an 18" round at a mile with an NSX 5.5-22. It worked, but next to my ATACR 5-25 I noticed a difference easily. But my target is a decent bit smaller than yours, and it sounds like you are building a hunting gun you can shoot long range with. I would give some serious consideration to something more hunting oriented with a 30 mm main tube. Yes, you are giving up a couple of things on the long range end, but nothing compared to what you are giving up on the hunting end by strapping a heavy optic on a light rifle. ATACR 5-25 would not be the worst choice, but you would be adding close to a pound over something like the LHT 4.5-22. Can you take a look at your intended target at range since you have the LHT already? That would tell you most of what you need to know.

I have yet to find a "do it all" rifle that actually does it all well. It can do multiple things fine, but nothing great. That normally leaves me wanting more. This is the basis of what I would pick, but you might have a different experience on the topic.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I apologize. I was pulled away for military training. I appreciate everyone’s input. I did end up going with the 5-25 ATACR. Very impressed! I used to shoot the beast. I was upset because I thought it has a turrets lock and felt a scope in that price range should have one. However every rifle I used deployed on my MK 11 and MK 12 had leupold did not lock so I am not worried about it. For the hell of it I put it on my hunting rifle and other that the 34 mm rings sitting a bit higher it wasn’t that bad, but I will see how it pans out. Thanks again for everyone’s help!

you can shoot at a target a mile away with just your eyes hitting it is going to be another matter and seeing what you hit is going to be another as is what you can see

you would have to figure out for you what is acceptable for you me I am a mag whore I want power and as much usable as I can get like a 5x50 after seeing this video I have the idea that at 40 or 50 I should have a great view of the target and impact placement while not having to get off the scope I don't need that much I just like having it . and for the money not a lot has touched it so far best of luck to you .