• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope power recommendations for 22-250

Moxdawg

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
GA
I have a bolt action heavy barrel 22-250 that needs glass and I am not sure what variable power would be useful without under or overkill. The gun will be used for coyote hunting mostly 300 yards or less. Maybe some target shooting out to 500 yards. Daylight and lowlight. Looking for a 30mm tube in 40-50mm objective. Not sure if 12-15x is a good range or 18x plus is needed. I have pretty good sight if that matters. Thanks!

Last edited:
I use a 4-16 on mine, have no problems hitting groundhogs and targets at those distances. Price range?

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

I use a 4-16 on mine, have no problems hitting groundhogs and targets at those distances. Price range?
Up to $1,500 maybe more for the right deal and I am not opposed to buying lightly used. I have a Leupold mark 4 3.5-10x40 that I could throw on it temporarily till I find the right scope.

I have paralysis through analysis right now with all of the types of reticles out there so I just wanted to get the variable power settled first.

Up to $1,500 maybe more for the right deal and I am not opposed to buying lightly used. I have a Leupold mark 4 3.5-10x40 that I could throw on it temporarily till I find the right scope.

I have paralysis through analysis right now with all of the types of reticles out there so I just wanted to get the variable power settled first.
Glass quality is more important than magnification. Might get a used Nightforce ATACR 4-16 on a steal since it has been replaced by the 4-20. For lighter and less expensive, Razor LHT fits the bill well or Leupold VX-5 line. I have shot clay pigeons at 1000 with 15x, more would have been nice but it didn't hinder the rifle at all. Most get more magnification than they actually need.

Reactions: bobke
I have an Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 on my '250 and have never felt over scoped. It has served me well from dawn 'til dusk.

I leave it on 6 power unless otherwise needed. I have had shots from 10 feet to over 400 and handled them all with ease.

I would like to thank everyone for the help. I am now leaning toward a max power of 20. I don’t want anything too long. I have been looking at used Swarovski and nightforce. I know there are tons of other good scope manufacturers but have to start somewhere.

As others have stated, I would recommend 3-4x on the low end, and 15-25 on the high end. I have a 6-24 on a varmint rifle, and for me on a close target or moving one, 6 is a little more magnification than ideal.

The NX8 2.5-20 is currently my favorite scope for hunting up close to 500 yards, but 4-16/3-15 range works well enough also.
You should call @gr8fuldoug (post #4). He’s great to deal with, active here, and made me a really good deal on my NX8 last year. Good enough that even though I was just shopping around and had no intention of buying right away, I did.

Reactions: Soulezoo
Ziess V6 I thing is a good fit. Only in MOA though not sure if that is a deal breaker and it is in the upper level of your budget.

I was in the same boat last year looking for another hunting scope.
I was going to go with an NX8 2-20 for a coyote gun, but I wanted something with rain coating, I sometimes hunt in bad weather and have dealt with wet lenses on my NX8 1-8 and it sucks, in dry weather it’s great.
I decided Zeiss V8 1.8-14x50. It has rain coating, good illumination and good low end power for “in your lap” shots.
Leupold vx6 series it tempting also, they have rain coating and can be had for around $1200

The NX8 2.5-20 is currently my favorite scope for hunting up close to 500 yards, but 4-16/3-15 range works well enough also.
You should call @gr8fuldoug (post #4). He’s great to deal with, active here, and made me a really good deal on my NX8 last year. Good enough that even though I was just shopping around and had no intention of buying right away, I did.
When I narrow it down I will definitely give him a call.

I was in the same boat last year looking for another hunting scope.
I was going to go with an NX8 2-20 for a coyote gun, but I wanted something with rain coating, I sometimes hunt in bad weather and have dealt with wet lenses on my NX8 1-8 and it sucks, in dry weather it’s great.
I decided Zeiss V8 1.8-14x50. It has rain coating, good illumination and good low end power for “in your lap” shots.
Leupold vx6 series it tempting also, they have rain coating and can be had for around $1200
I will check out the zeiss v8. Did you consider the Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 when you were looking? That one is on my short list along with an atacr 4-16x42.

Nightforce 4-16
Razor G2 3-18
Leupold Mk5 3.6-18

thats all youll ever need for that rifle man👍🏼

Reactions: Moxdawg
I will check out the zeiss v8. Did you consider the Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 when you were looking? That one is on my short list along with an atacr 4-16x42.
No I didn’t, I’m sure it a great scope though. I like 2x or less for close shots, like 20 foot close and moving.
My Zeiss was a demo, so it was $1100 less than new.
My 22-250 wears a vx3 6.5-20, it works fine for groundhogs and such. It’s just to much low end power for fast moving close critters in my opinion.

Nightforce 2.5-20 NX8, for your uses I don't think you will notice the compromises they had to make to make a short , lightish scope under 2K. I have one and like it although mine is in the second focal plane variety which I would think would be preferential for your setup. If you want to to keep it a little lighter and around the 1K mark the Vortex razor LHT 3-15s are nice as are the leupold VX6HDs 3-18 or 2-12 models. I think the glass on the VX6HD is slightly superior to the LHTs but much prefer the turrets and reticles on the LHTs. Could always step up to German glass if you really want low light performance...

Hi and thx in advance, pals! I'm wondering, is the 4-12 range scope enough for the same purposes? For example, this Leupold or Vortex and Nightforce analogs?