• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope power ???

tmxring

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2006
Athens AL
I'm wanting to shoot a deer @ 800+yds. Whats the best scope power from that distance. 338 lapua. Thanks

Re: Scope power ???

800 yard deer hunting? If all youre going to be doing is long range hunting, I'd go with the most quality magnification you can afford. Most top ends are in the 24x-32x range. The problem for most hunters is, the bottom end of these scopes is usually 6x-8x, which is too much when they get in the timber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sierra2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">800 yard deer hunting? If all youre going to be doing is long range hunting, I'd go with the most quality magnification you can afford. Most top ends are in the 24x-32x range. The problem for most hunters is, the bottom end of these scopes is usually 6x-8x, which is too much when they get in the timber. </div></div>

I didn't word my post right. But you hit on what I was talking about. I guess I'm wondering what the lowest power (high side) I could use and still have the lower settings for closer incounters. Thanks

Me personally...the highest low-end I would want for stand hunting in timber would be 4x, which leaves you in the 4x-16x range for most variable scopes, except for a few models.

All depends on what brand of optic you get. My US Optics goes from 3.8-22x, while others such as leupold go from 6.5-20x. For hunting in timber I would recommend no more than 4x to 5x. The wider the power range u get, the more expensive the optic (usually)

Not to be a dick, but if you have to ask this sort of question maybe you should rethink the idea of shooting deer at 800+ yards.

I have an IOR first gen 3x18-42 sfp "flea" scope. Even at the end of the day, about the last 15 minutes of light, I can still clearly ID 1 gallon gatorade jugs filled with red dye water and engage them at 1k yards on 12 - 14 power setting. As the exit pupil drops below about 3.5 on that scope in the last 5 minutes or so of light, I end up using 12x. I guess what I am saying, if the scope you choose has Very Good Resolution and Clarity 12x is more than plenty for 800 yard hunting. Let me restate that 12x is *MORE THAN PLENTY* for 800 yards
wink.gif
Think about it, I can clearly see to engage a 1 gallon bottle with red dye water in it at 1k yards. If I can do that, you can Damn Sure see a whole huge ass deer at 800. You should have way more than plenty of resolution at that magnification on a deer to clearly "Pick Your Spot".

So, I would say an optic that ends up at a max of approximately 16x would be plenty. Far too many shooters get caught up in, "I must be able to see the fly's anal hairs in mid flight before I engage"... Not trying to be rude, just keeping it real. Think of the approximate Kill Zone Size and Shape of your average Deer. For that matter, you could go out and get an Archery Deer target and put it out at 800 and try out various power settings to see for yourself what really works.

Good hunting,
Gary

16X is the max I would want for all my rifle scope. Beyond that I'll leave it for my spotting scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be a dick, but if you have to ask this sort of question maybe you should rethink the idea of shooting deer at 800+ yards. </div></div>

I'm not saying that I'm an expert marksman , but I'm capable. I'm just looking for a scope with a wide range of power and decent glass. My night forces don't have a low power with a high end. Thanks for the concern though.

Right off hand, USO I know has at least 2 excellent scopes that fit the bill. For that matter, there are many 3x12, 3x15, 4.5x14, 4x16 type scopes out there that would do quite well indeed. It is the quality of the glass that makes a huge impact for making a clear ID and retaining the ability to engage a target.

I prefer 8000X scopes, its not easy hitting moa size targets on the moon you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmxring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wanting to shoot a deer @ 800+yds. Whats the best scope power from that distance. 338 lapua. Thanks </div></div>

I have to ask; why do you want to shoot a deer at 800+ yds.? I can understand you wanting to be able to, but not want to attempt this range unless you have to. The further the shot the greater the risk of you wounding/laming the animal or ruining meat...

Just my 2¢ FWIW,
MS

Not that you should be shooting a deer at 800 yards, but the answer here is the IOR 3-18.

Nice 3 power for close, excellent glass and high magnification for way out there.

I dont own one but look into the Bushnell 6500 line. They have a 2.5-16x42 and a 4.5-30x50. Thats a pretty large magnification range at both ends! I am a big fan of IOR since recently receiving my 6-24x50 but in doing research I discovered that the knock on the 3-18 is its eye relief and there is currently another thread running reference that problem so I would definately advise you to stay away from the 3-18 model especially on a .338 rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be a dick, but if you have to ask this sort of question maybe you should rethink the idea of shooting deer at 800+ yards. </div></div>
+1

Save the 1K shooting for the range, there's nothing to prove by trying to shoot game at such ranges.

So you can hold MOA of Deer from field positions? Always
wink.gif

I guess if you are not capable of getting any closer or you want to boast on the internet about long range kills with no real thought to what you will do if you wound it then it's a good idea.

Let's be totally honest. IF you shot long ranges you would have an idea of what you need. So you don't have the ability/practise to do what you want and will still do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you can hold MOA of Deer from field positions? Always
wink.gif

I guess if you are not capable of getting any closer or you want to boast on the internet about long range kills with no real thought to what you will do if you wound it then it's a good idea.

Let's be totally honest. IF you shot long ranges you would have an idea of what you need. So you don't have the ability/practise to do what you want and will still do it. </div></div>

Your right if you do not know what you are doing then it is not a good idea. You can get to that point by doing a lot of shooting at long range target such as paper and steel. Would you not agree?

Mike @ CST

Look, master "guru's" I didn't ask if you thought I should be shooting at long range. My point is that I wanted to get some really nice glass, but the higher powers are pricey. So I was wondering if anybody had shot that distance with less power on a animal. Your right a person should know what he's doing to shoot that far. That's why I have a place where I can shoot 1mile. I'm always humord by some of the "experts" on here that came out of there mommas womb holding a tactical rifle and knowing everything. So thanks to the helpfull guys.And to the "gods" of shooting, keep up the great work and your new copy of "whitefeather" will be coming soon so wait by the mailbox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont own one but look into the Bushnell 6500 line. They have a 2.5-16x42 and a 4.5-30x50. Thats a pretty large magnification range at both ends! I am a big fan of IOR since recently receiving my 6-24x50 but in doing research I discovered that the knock on the 3-18 is its eye relief and there is currently another thread running reference that problem so I would definately advise you to stay away from the 3-18 model especially on a .338 rifle </div></div>

I actually have used,and am using the IOR 3-18X42 SFP on a 338 EDGE with no problems.This scope is very user friendly for me.

i bought a nf 5.5-22x56 to preform the exact same duties you described. i bought it to shoot game up to 800 if i hade to on my first trip out west. luckly i got both my animals between 300 and 350

Popularity says a lot. 3-9X is the most popular. I have a pair of 4-12X50's I inherited and I use them for my Hunters.

For Hunting, I suggest not much more.

IMHO, the issue with excess magnification is that it tempts a hunter to take shots that might be longer than conditions should permit.

As for brand/model, I'm not a person to ask. My finances are significantly limited, so my experience is likewise limited to those items I can afford.

Greg

+1