• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope problem

toe42

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2012
Hello hide,

I have run into a small problem with a scope I am using.. It's a Trijicon accu point 5-20x50.. I have it mounted on a m1a socom 308.. With an Aimpoint micro attached to it with 30mm scope mount attachment..

Here is my problem.. To raise the scope high enough so that the bell would clear the factory rail.. I installed a weaver ar-15 riser mount.. It does not have a MOA rise and is flat.. When trying to site in my rifle at 50 yards.. I ran out of revolutions bringing it down. So I am stuck shooting about a foot high..

How do I fix this? Will a 20 moa mount work? Does my scope need to be lower? I can't get it to low because of the 50mm bell. Any help would be great! Thanks

Re: Scope problem

if your 1 foot high at 50 yds (24 moa) a 20 moa mount will not work. a 20 moa mount would actually make it worse because it would take you the wrong direction

id try dismounting everything and re do it, mabye somthing isnt quite seated properly

I agree with 42769vette, something is off. Redo everything making sure there isn't any debris between the mount or in the rings, and get the torque values correct. Scope height won't effect your ability to zero (within reasonable limits, of course).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with 42769vette, something is off. Redo everything making sure there isn't any debris between the mount or in the rings, and get the torque values correct. Scope height won't effect your ability to zero (within reasonable limits, of course). </div></div>

also check your mount, be sure that it's actually flat. I could be wrong, but I think a 40 moa base would do this to you, considering that your scope only has 20 moa of "down".

I could be wrong but wouldn't raising the base higher make the POA higher than the bore line of sight and lower the bores line of sight and the shot placement on the target would be lower" It seems to me the 20 or 40 MOA would solve the problem.

Op, I don't have a solution to your problem unfortunately. What I do know is I spent a few months exploring scope option for my Socom11. What I ended up with was going back to iron sights. I finally got a scout scope mounted properly, but is wasn't that comfortable having to use cheek risers for a decent cheek weld. Scoping this rifle platform also made me realize that these rifles are just not accurate enough for my needs when using a scope. I'm talking about off the shelf socom's. I'm sure you could get one worked over for big bucks to make it an moa rifle. In the end, mine sits in the exact same configuration as when I bought it, minus the lower cluster rail that I got rid of. Good luck in your endeavors to get it all working correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could be wrong but wouldn't raising the base higher make the POA higher than the bore line of sight and lower the bores line of sight and the shot placement on the target would be lower" It seems to me the 20 or 40 MOA would solve the problem. </div></div>

it can defintally get confusing, but a 20moa base will allow you to move your point of impact up more, and down less