• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

scope quality and reticle affecting group size?

onlyfineknives

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
Clarksville, VA
I finished doing my ammo lot testing at 50, 100, and 200 yards a couple of weeks ago and for that I took one of my Premier 5-25's off another rifle and used it on my Kidd 10/22.

I took the Premier off and put on a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 and did some follow up group shooting today at 50 and 100 yards.

My groups averaged between 1/8th and 1/4 minute bigger than a couple of weeks ago during my lot testing and conditions looked to be as close to identical as possible in an outdoor situation.

I'm going to switch the Premier back on to try it again, but do you guys think that between the extra power, clarity, and thinner reticle that it could be adding up to 1/8th to 1/4 minute more dispersion when I put on the Vortex?

Thanks -

Re: scope quality and reticle affecting group size?

Probably not. Both optics are of fine quality so there really shouldn't be any difference. If I were to make a bet i'd say that it was most likely due to either shooter error or ammo inconsistencies. It could also be something to do with the rifle itself. If you didn't make sure your NPOA was correct with the PST then this could also lead to the problem you describe.

So;
#1) Is the ammo of the same lot as a few weeks ago
#2) Were you doing everything the exact same way (ex. proper fundamentals etc, etc...)
#3) Did you try cleaning the barrel before shooting with the PST but not when the Premier was mounted, because this might cause the problem too

Can you think of anything you were doing differently?

I know with Wolf MT I get differing group sizes quite often but that is all my fault and nothing to do with the rifle or ammo. Your case might be different, but it also may have just been a slightly 'off' day for you too. Try again with both scopes and verify with other rifles if possible to see if the PST is working properly, it could also be something mechanically wrong with the scope.

Oh, and make sure you check your rings too! When I had mine mounted up the first time they weren't torqued properly and came loose over the course of about 150-200 rounds IIRC and that caused irratic and much larger groups than I would have imagined. They might be a little loose so there couldn't be any harm in going through and making sure everything is nice and snug.

Hope this helps,
-Dylan

Thanks Dylan,

I hope to give a shot again with the Premier this weekend.

I agree with both possibilities, and will toss another idea in...

What of the possibility that the finer reticle of the Vortex just no longer has the repeatability that it once had? As in, maybe it's bouncing around a bit in there. It may be worth mounting it on another rifle to see what happens to the groups on it.

Just a thought.

-Chris

I think it could happen. Both scopes are of above average quality, but when shooting strictly for groups, magnification can have an impact on precision accuracy. Most of the guys that I shoot a 50 yard rimfire match with run 36X fixed power scopes. Even shooting at 50 yards, I do better with my 24X than I do with my 15X.