• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Question

Chiller

Minuteman
  • Dec 18, 2008
    Sole resident of Mt. Crumpit.
    Trying to sort out what scope to put on my AR-50.

In that I am new to the ELR world I figure I would ask those in the know.

Assume I put the 30 moa or perhaps the 50moa rail how many MIL scope will keep me in the game to the capability of the .50 bullet.

On a larger question what do I set my zero distance (I am used to all my others being 100 yard).

Re: Scope Question

Hi
    What a great problem to have.
    grin.gif

With a 30-50 moa base you should be able to zero at 100m with most high end scope and have enough elevation to get to about 2k all depending what bullet you use.

I would look at S&B 5-25 and Premier 5-25 they both have enough elevation and are great scopes.

Zeiss/Hensoldt 6-24X56/72 is also nice but you loose some elevation.
    NF 5-25x56 also good
    USO SN 3 and BIG SN 9 would also be contenders.

I am the happy owner of a Premier 5-25x56 and the 31 mils are nice to have for ELR.

Here is a picture of the gen 2 XR at 651m - I am able to see the light true the holes on the target at 651m when I am in the black
    shocked.gif

Cheers,

Master Diver

Jgerspris11112010006.jpg

2000m with the typical 750 gr Amax will need around 22 mils up from 100. I use the 100 yard zero on everything, keeps things simple, you'll be using a computer for the soultion anyway. Using a longer range zero, say 500 yards, will lead to a change in the actual zero range if conditions change much, leading to a bigger challange in getting the correct elevation set for a shot.

I'd run a base with 50% of the scopes total elevation in slope. Given an S&B 5-25 for example, I'd take a 50-60 MOA base.

The XLR class is on the schedule again for October, perhaps we'll see you here!

I use a Razor on a 40 moa base and can dial past 2000 yards (300WM). With reticle hold I can get to almost 2400 yds on a warm day (4000' ASL)... you should be good to well past that with your ballistics, depending on your AP. I'm still not bottomed out and am using a 100 yds zero. So you could probably go with 45 or 50 moa base and get out further.

One small problem with the Razor is the thick reticle. I definitely prefer the Gen 2 XR on the PM, but with the EBR2 reticle, you can dial down/right 1 mil and use one of the very small christmas tree dots as an aiming point. It works very nicely.

John

I run a 30 MOA base on my 7WSM and can dial to 2000 yards(84 MOA) with a 100 yard zero on my NF. I have 2 MOA left in the dial. With a 50 you should have a good bit more travel left with a 30. I'd get a 40 if you can find one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steeldinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nothing wrong with USO ST-22 for ELR. Ask me and Roger how we know. </div></div>I have the same set up on my .50 but only have 55 minutes of usable elevation.

Looks like it's time for another Razor. BTW, you are outlawed from using this in Prescott!

Cheater
    grin.gif

I know some guys here in Las Vegas shooting up to 3200y so are you planning to shoot that far? If it is for 1000y and below a 30MOA base and a 5.5-22x56 will give you extra more elevation past 1000y