• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope question

Unrat3d

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2022
Canada
I posted in the optics section, but I know there’s a lot of experienced guys who don’t go there or look at topics, so thought I would try here as well. Hope that’s okay.

Pretty much I have TT’s 5-25’s and they have something strange happening. Pretty much a perfectly round shadow all the sudden appears in the scope, and slowly fades away. I think I notice it after a shot is fired. Some have said is it because of cold and the heat from the barrel, and to exhale on the optic to see if I see the same thing, and I have not been able to duplicate it. Nobody seems to know.

Any ideas?

This is a very bad 3 second drawing. I have a perfect sight picture and a big perfectly round faint shadowy circle appears, and very slowly fades away after 10-20 seconds

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 23
It's from the difference of temperature between the barrel and the ambient air

Nearly all my scopes (TT and ZCO) do that. Unless it's in my MDT chassis, because of the mirage shield.

Nearly all my scopes (TT and ZCO) do that. Unless it's in my MDT chassis, because of the mirage shield.
I thought it could be something like that, but nobody I have asked at my range has ever experienced it, so I thought that was weird. I called TT and they didn’t even know and are calling me beach tomorrow.

so if I’m shooting an axmc that forend tube isn’t enough to stop it from happening?
so everybody should almost have this same problem?

I thought it could be something like that, but nobody I have asked at my range has ever experienced it, so I thought that was weird. I called TT and they didn’t even know and are calling me beach tomorrow.

so if I’m shooting an axmc that forend tube isn’t enough to stop it from happening?
so everybody should almost have this same problem?
My only theory would be some form of condensation inside the scope that only shows up in a warm environment.

I notice the effect more when it's cold outside. We practically neighbors (Canada).

I never noticed it in warm days, though

Hey, you should only make one thread at a time, and not two simultaneous ones.

The mods don’t really like that (I know you’re rather new here).

If you post somewhere on the hide and don’t get an answer in a 4-5 days, maybe then it’s ok to post in a different sub-forum.

so you don’t think anything is wrong? I’m wondering why most people don’t know what I’m talking about if this is what it is. You would think it would happen all the time

I would say most of the time my other eye that’s not looking through glass is slightly open
That explains the shadow.
When shooting F class I leave my other eye open to prevent eye fatigue from squinting for a twenty minute string of fire. I notice the shadow when I am not concentrating on the crosshairs.

Your brain is wanting to take images from both eyes but it doesn’t match so there’s one image on top of the other.