• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope questions

buskin

Retired USCG
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
Grand River, Ohio
I am looking at the Leupold Freedom series of rimfire scopes and would like to know what everyone else is using and why?

I assume parallax adjustment is important for shorter distances and size if used for hunting as well as target.

TIA for any suggestions/experiences that will help me decide.

Ken

It depends on what you want to use your rifle for, Plinker, hunting, competition?

In the first 2 areas there are options from almost every manufacturer. In the competition arena it all starts with how much you want to spend. The main criteria fall around how far down the parallax will go: 25 yards is needed for most competitions. Then you move to how much elevation is built into the scope: 22lr eats up elevation pretty quickly after 200 yards. Then the secondary features like amount of magnification, FFP vs SFP and reticle choices.

In the competition scopes there are offerings from many companies but based on price ranges and from my experience:

$300 to $500- Athlon Argos BTR, full featured $380, Athlon Helos BTR, full featured, better turrets, zero stop $530'ish. Vortex Diamondback Tactical, semi-full featured, $350'ish.

$1,000 to $1,200 and a step up in quality of glass and features- Athlon Ares ETR, Full featured and 32 mils of elevation will take you to the extreme in 22lr range $1,200. Vortex PST2, full featured and a solid proven optic $1,100.

Beyond $1,200 there are a plethora of options of quality full featured scopes. I personally prefer a a FFP and Christmas tree style reticle for competition and any other use. If you are tight on your budget you can start with an Argos or Diamondback but I would encourage you to save up a bit and move up to the Helos, you won't be disappointed.

Once again it all starts with what you THINK you will be doing with the scope. Plan for the future as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: buskin
It depends on what you want to use your rifle for, Plinker, hunting, competition?

In the first 2 areas there are options from almost every manufacturer. In the competition arena it all starts with how much you want to spend. The main criteria fall around how far down the parallax will go: 25 yards is needed for most competitions. Then you move to how much elevation is built into the scope: 22lr eats up elevation pretty quickly after 200 yards. Then the secondary features like amount of magnification, FFP vs SFP and reticle choices.

In the competition scopes there are offerings from many companies but based on price ranges and from my experience:

$300 to $500- Athlon Argos BTR, full featured $380, Athlon Helos BTR, full featured, better turrets, zero stop $530'ish. Vortex Diamondback Tactical, semi-full featured, $350'ish.

$1,000 to $1,200 and a step up in quality of glass and features- Athlon Ares ETR, Full featured and 32 mils of elevation will take you to the extreme in 22lr range $1,200. Vortex PST2, full featured and a solid proven optic $1,100.

Beyond $1,200 there are a plethora of options of quality full featured scopes. I personally prefer a a FFP and Christmas tree style reticle for competition and any other use. If you are tight on your budget you can start with an Argos or Diamondback but I would encourage you to save up a bit and move up to the Helos, you won't be disappointed.

Once again it all starts with what you THINK you will be doing with the scope. Plan for the future as well.

Is there any glass quality difference in Helos vs Argos? I dislike my zero stop and glass quality on my Argos. Its also got funky parallax because its not quite perfect parallax (no reticle movement with head movement) when in focus at a particular distance and always seems like it is just a smidge out of focus and dim at max magnification. Everytime I try to find a scope that is better, it wont focus inside 25 yards and reticle moves a TON with head movement at close ranges like 50 feet.

Hunting with a 22 generally means small critters that are pretty quick and skittish so having the ability to shoot small is a plus. look into the Vortex Diamondback Tactcal. It has good features to put you on small targets, isn't too big orb heavy and the price is relatively easy on the wallet. It has a no questions lifetime warranty and should beveasy to sell if you ever want to move up in the future.

Is there any glass quality difference in Helos vs Argos? I dislike my zero stop and glass quality on my Argos. Its also got funky parallax because its not quite perfect parallax (no reticle movement with head movement) when in focus at a particular distance and always seems like it is just a smidge out of focus and dim at max magnification. Everytime I try to find a scope that is better, it wont focus inside 25 yards and reticle moves a TON with head movement at close ranges like 50 feet.

My friend went from the Argos to the Helos. Didn't really notice a big glass improvement but the turrets were a big step up. We both had Argo scopes in the past. I thought the glass was OK, especially for the price considering all of the other features.

Hunting with a 22 generally means small critters that are pretty quick and skittish so having the ability to shoot small is a plus. look into the Vortex Diamondback Tactcal. It has good features to put you on small targets, isn't too big orb heavy and the price is relatively easy on the wallet. It has a no questions lifetime warranty and should beveasy to sell if you ever want to move up in the future.

I had a Diamondback tactical 4-16×40 and now the Athlon Argos btr 6-24x50. I dumped the Vortex for the Athlon and it was a great move. The Argos is a better scope all the way around. High end Vortex may be good but the lower end is not all that.

Reactions: quickdraw
Last edited:
Ordered a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44mm FFP with Vortex low rings, so I should be good to go.

Thanks for all of the input.

:)

Buskin, what animals are you hunting? What distances are you hunting them? What method of hunting are you using? What type of environment are you hunting in? What type of firearm are you mounting the scope on? What else will you have with you to carry while hunting?

Buskin, what animals are you hunting? What distances are you hunting them? What method of hunting are you using? What type of environment are you hunting in? What type of firearm are you mounting the scope on? What else will you have with you to carry while hunting?

Typically I hunt the nuisance varmints around my NY property in the mountains: woodchucks in the field, snapping turtles in the pond, and coyotes in the woods.

Gun is a highly modified 10/22 takedown, and I only carry a magazine or two of extra ammo when stalking or still hunting.

Oh, we also target shoot at various distances between 30 yards and 150 yards.

You don't need much scope. What you do need is a bdc reticle with holdover marks out to 200 yards. You need light weight and a short tube. You need the best glass you can afford. You don't need precisely repeatable turrets. You will zero, make a holdover card for the bdc marks in the scope, and be done with it. You need ruggedness.
Look at the rimfire scopes from Burris, Vortex, Tract, and others. Again, duplex reticles suck. Get a good bdc reticle.

You don't need much scope. What you do need is a bdc reticle with holdover marks out to 200 yards. You need light weight and a short tube. You need the best glass you can afford. You don't need precisely repeatable turrets. You will zero, make a holdover card for the bdc marks in the scope, and be done with it. You need ruggedness.
Look at the rimfire scopes from Burris, Vortex, Tract, and others. Again, duplex reticles suck. Get a good bdc reticle.

I have lots of experience with scopes, and was really only asking what everyone was using. I purchased a Vortex as noted on one of my posts above.