• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope rail bedding question

ilmonster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
I have a new Bergara B-14 Wilderness I am breaking in. I want to mount a Nightforce 20 MOA scope rail to it and had a question on release compounds.

I usually see folks recommending shoe wax to spread on the receiver to release from the JB Weld (plus Play Doh in the screw holes). I have a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax I use for reloading, and was wondering if anyone has any experience using this as a release compound when bedding a scope rail? Really don't want my rail to be JB Welded to the receiver!! Thanks!

Reactions: 338dude
Spending the dollars we all do to enjoy the shooting sports, I'm with you that a tin of shoe polish certainly won't break the bank! I was just curious if anyone else used Imperial Sizing Wax as it makes sense that a die wax that keeps cases from sticking to dies would also work as a bedding release agent.

With rifles that I mount scope mounts/rails I don't intend on changing I glue them on using golf club epoxy which resists impact shearing and acts as a bedding compound. The rail can be removed with a heat gun (the epoxy will melt around 350 degrees F) and can be cleaned off with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone, available at hardware stores). Just make sure the mating surfaces are clean (use a solvent like MEK) before gluing. Use a tape to mask off those areas of the receiver you don't want glue on. Be careful with MEK, it will dissolve any plastic or paint.

I haven't done it in a while but I am with the guy above. Once I make sure everything works as it should I glue it on permanent

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I used Shoe polish & JB Weld to bed the Pic Rail on my daughter's Savage hunting rifle.
This morning, I pulled the optic and rail to change the barrel and it worked just like it was supposed to.
Came off clean and easy.

I don’t see why imperial wouldn’t work. It’s definitely slicker than shoe polish.

JB welding the base the the gun really isn’t a big deal though and is not permanent. A minute with a heat gun or 10 seconds with a propane torch will heat it up enough that it will pop right off.

Thanks for all the responses! I think I will give the Imperial Wax a try and report back.

Reactions: ShtrRdy