• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope rails for bolt action .308s

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

I apologize if this was asked already... Pretty sure it has but can't find it using search function.

For a .308 bolt gun, is there a need for steel scope rails or is 7075 aluminum rails sufficient enough strength wise for a range/bench gun?

Thanks.

Re: Scope rails for bolt action .308s

Aluminum is strong enough, but...

Steel and aluminum have different thermal expansion coefficients.

Also, galvanic corrosion could be an issue, specially if your action is stainless steel

probably won't get a stainless action.

Looking to either get a EGW aluminum one or a Seekins aluminum one. There is about a $45 price difference between the two. Have read threads that the EGW's are just fine so I may get both for a side by side comparison. As far as major differences I believe the Seekins has the recoil lug but EGW does not... Anything else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">probably won't get a stainless action.

Looking to either get a EGW aluminum one or a Seekins aluminum one. There is about a $45 price difference between the two. Have read threads that the EGW's are just fine so I may get both for a side by side comparison. As far as major differences I believe the Seekins has the recoil lug but EGW does not... Anything else? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">SoCalPete</span>,

I've never owned or used an EGW product so I do not have any practical experience with them. It doesn't mean shit, but having <span style="font-style: italic">seen</span> an EGW SA M700 base on a rifle I'll offer these observations: (a) While fit and finish seem OK, they aren't on par with a Seekins, (b) The EGW SA M700 base looks taller than a Seekins SA M700 base (lower is almost always preferred, but the myriad of different barrel contours, scopes, rings, and scope cover thicknesses might change this for you), and (c) the EGW base's "rails" have been machined-out, creating more pockets where dirt and grit can collect. Cleaning this crap out with a Q-Tip under the scope tube is not my idea of fun. The Seekins base has full rails so this is less of a "problem". And I don't know about the EGW base, but the Seekins base has an integrated recoil lug.

That said, the Seekins products are a known quantity where all aspects of the product are of the highest standard. Design, machining, fit & finish, and customer service. I'll take that over <span style="font-style: italic">"just fine"</span> any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Glen Seekins makes top notch products, has great customer service, and backs his products 100%. If you ever have any problems Glen will make it right.

Thats' not to say that EGW won't - like I said I don't have any practical experience with EGW. However, as I said above, <span style="font-style: italic">the Seekins products are a known quantity</span>. And that, my friend, is worth paying for.

Keith

I'd vote seekins as well ! CS is top notch and product is outstanding. You know I tried saving money with other brands in the past, Burris XTR, Warne, etc. But in the end I ended up buying the Badger, Seekins, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">probably won't get a stainless action.

Looking to either get a EGW aluminum one or a Seekins aluminum one. There is about a $45 price difference between the two. Have read threads that the EGW's are just fine so I may get both for a side by side comparison. As far as major differences I believe the Seekins has the recoil lug but EGW does not... Anything else? </div></div>

Hi SoCalPete,

I have some Seekins stuff, a picatinny rail for my Remington 700 in .308 Win and a couple of sets of rings. Seekins products are top shelf in design, machining details and the hard type III anodizing they use. The Seekins stuff is better than military grade hardware and it shows in the details. The Seekins picatinny rail on my Rem700 fit perfectly and I checked to see if there was any need to bed the base to the receiver using plastigauge and the base to receiver interface is nearly perfect and needs nothing but correct torque to reliably hold with the integral recoil lug machined into the rail base. I've had my scopes on and off of my rifles a couple of times while working on my rifles and with Seekins rings torqued to Seekins specified torque have not left a single mark on either of my scope tubes. This is due to the extreme attention to detail Glen Seekins pays to his work chamfering the rings edges. You have to see and use Seeking rings to believe the quality of them and once you have one set you will be dumping any other rings you own for Seekins rings.

Cheers/Chip