• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope recomendation for a M1A Socom

Re: Scope recomendation for a M1A Socom

check out Nightforce I like something that goes down to 1 power and up to about 4x. another option for longer ranges is the 2.5-10x32 but you will give up a little fast target aquisition at closer ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out Nightforce I like something that goes down to 1 power and up to about 4x. another option for longer ranges is the 2.5-10x32 but you will give up a little fast target aquisition at closer ranges. </div></div>

1+
its the best choice for this gun

Fow a Scout, I'd like to go with a dot scope, it just acquires quicker. CQB shooting situations involve speed and nothing's faster than a dot. For defeating targets in a more sedate manner, some magnification would be missed, but it will still put fire ontarget.

If the mounting works out right, you should still be able to use the iron sights.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out Nightforce I like something that goes down to 1 power and up to about 4x. another option for longer ranges is the 2.5-10x32 but you will give up a little fast target aquisition at closer ranges. </div></div>

1+
its the best choice for this gun </div></div>

If you are referring to the 2.5-10 as being the best for this rifle, I disagree. That rifle is not intended for medium-long distance shooting which is the power range of that scope. You can not aquire a target 10 yards in front of you fast enough with any appreciable field of view even down on its lowest power. A red dot or 1-4x would be ideal.

Depending on how much you want to invest in optics, a Sadlak scope mount and USO 1-4x with circle dot reticle is a great combo. Also allows optics to be repositioned over the receiver instead of up front which makes for a better center of gravity.

but the 4x is too low for the 7.62mm
the 2,5-10x is better,and for CQB take a docter on the NXS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but the 4x is too low for the 7.62mm
the 2,5-10x is better,and for CQB take a docter on the NXS </div></div>

You are correct that 4x is too low for 7.62, but on a different rifle IMO. That rifle was designed with CQ in mind and is a little suspect in the accuracy dept. past 300 yards. If I'm carrying it and my ass is on the line in an urban setting, I want the fastest target aquisition possible. 2.5x does not lend itself well in that situation, if anything I might jump to a USO 1.5-6 which is what sits on top of my LRB scout rifle.

sure,my favorit is the NXS 1-4x on my 5,56 recce rifle
the USO 1,5-6x will be the best choice for the 7,62NATO
S&B has also the PMII with 1,1-6x
thanks for the mind game

My best friend bought a Socom II and we went out shooting it last week. First we shot it with ball ammo and put a little burris fast fire on the rail , HOLY COW did that thing get hot. After just a couple of rounds I dam near burned myself on the scout mount. If you are going to put an optic on that mount I would make it an actual Aimpoint.
After our little experiment Jeff installed his new arms mount and then his USO sn4 with the JNG recticle. Holy cra* ola that gun came alive. First off I never expected one of those short barreled babies to shoot better than 5 or six MOA but when we put M852 match ammo in it it was shooting 1.5 moa at 100 yards and repeatedly hitting 6 inch gongs at 200 and that is not using a bipod.
The JNG moa recticle at 1.5 powere was like a big head sized circle and when we cranked it up to 6 x at the 200 yard line it was beautiful.
I was so impressed tha I am saving my duckets to put one on my M1-a myself

If you are looking for close range the 1-4x if you are willing to do a little compromise the USO 1.8-10x32mm with the JNG MIL or MOA would be a good way to go. You can do a NF NXS 2.5-10x32 with a DOC or Aimpoint Micro.

Mike

I highly agree with 1-4X or 1.5-5X . I'm going to get a Nightforce for my POF AR. But don't forget about the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5X...I have one of those on a Larue mount on top of My Sig 556 and I am in love with it. Aquiring targets is much faster than I thought it would be.....In fact, it's screaming. I had an Eotech on this weapon before and I see no difference in speed on aquiring targets. Clarity and light gathering has improved plus with one twist of the ring , you've got 5X. And you have about 11 settings of red lit reticle...SmokeRolls

One thing to consider ( I forgot about the forward mounting) Your options may be more narrowed because of the distance that the optics will be from your eye...Sorry I forgot. You may have to run an aimpoint or similar. There are other options as well but this weapon was made for quick target aquisition....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never looked into the EER scout type scopes before and I'm looking to buy an M1a Socom.
Thanks
Jim</div></div>
Both the 2.5 Leupold or Burris 'scout scopes' work well. I think you will find you need to add some padding to the stock so you can get a decent cheek weld. Duct tape and foam work well. Once you get the comb heigth right, the 2.5X is as quick as anything, including the red dot sights. Low light performance isn't as good, but there are always trade offs...

HTH,

DC