• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendation - 1-8x LPVO

kestrel452

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2019
Hello everyone! Hoping to get some advice on what might be the best optic given these parameters. It would be going on a semi-automatic rifle as a self-defense and dangerous game gun. I was thinking maybe the ATACR 1-8, but wasn't sure if there was a better option. Thank you in advance.

-Under $3,000
-Around 21 ounces or less in weight
-Magnification from 1x to around 8x
-Generous eyebox
-Fast using 1x to get on target in case of being charged
-Highly durable
-Zero stop / Return to Zero feature
-Mil reticle with useful hashmarks and illuminated center

The ATACR 1-8 is a great one.

You mentioned, "Highly durable." I suspect that The Trijicon VCOG 1-8 is tough to beat, in that regard. It doesn't fit all of your criteria, but it's worth considering. Optically, the ATACR is probably better.

The ATACR 1-8 is a great one.

You mentioned, "Highly durable." I suspect that The Trijicon VCOG 1-8 is tough to beat, in that regard. It doesn't fit all of your criteria, but it's worth considering. Optically, the ATACR is probably better.

Out of curiosity, why do you think VCOG is more durable than the other options? I know it looks tough, but I am not aware of anything from a technical standpoint that would make more durable than other scopes. I've seen it go down about as much Razor Gen3 or ATACR if not more.

ILya

Reactions: RKBArmory
I have a problem with your specification of semi-auto "dangerous game rifle". Would you care to clarify what you consider "dangerous game?"

I'm in the same boat, can't decide between the ATACR 1-8 or the Vortex Gen III 1-10. I keep reading mixed reviews online between the two.
The Vortex will have a better no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics if warranty matters to you and Vortex even pays for your round trip shipping via prepaid shipping label and safe to bet the quickest warranty turnaround time too.

I believe Nightforce warranty is only for 5 years for their electronics.

I don't believe any electronics in a rifle scope can possibly last a lifetime so the lifetime warranty on their electronics plays an important role in my own scope buying decisions at least for me going forward especially when paying more than $1000 and if I choose to buy a non lifetime warranty optic with electronics, I have to be sure the company at least offer repairs or have the ability to actually fix then past their 5 year warranty. I really don't like to end up with expensive disposable paperweights like how SIG would be after their limited 5 year electronics warranty expires (from date of manufacture not actual date of purchase).

The one criteria you listed that the ATACR 1-8 doesn’t have. It does have capped windage and elevation dials, and you can zero the dial, but not a stop at all.
True, but that is good enough to qualify as a "return to zero" for me. Just some way to "index" the zero-point setting.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Out of curiosity, why do you think VCOG is more durable than the other options? I know it looks tough, but I am not aware of anything from a technical standpoint that would make more durable than other scopes. I've seen it go down about as much Razor Gen3 or ATACR if not more.

ILya
It’s 7075 aluminum housing instead of a 60 series aluminum. Now, whether the internals are any more durable, I doubt it. But the housing does offer a technical difference that makes it more durable to scrapes and bangs.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. With that being said, the Kahles K18i-2 is my top choice. I was going to pull the trigger on this scope, however I starting wondering if it's worth waiting until after January to see if there are any different releases at the annual Shot Show in Vegas. Thanks again.

Reactions: Powdermonkey4

ILya
I am not aware of anything internal to the VCOG that makes it more tough. Externally, the integral mount and beefed-up housing just make sense that it is tougher than usual.

I am not aware of anything internal to the VCOG that makes it more tough. Externally, the integral mount and beefed-up housing just make sense that it is tougher than usual.
With the integral mount it is obviously harder to screw up mounting. Whether it is any tougher than a similar quality scope in conventional properly set up high quality mounts is very questionable.

The integral mount does offer additional opportunities for battery integration, but beyond that, I think it is more of a styling exercise to make it look tougher.

ILya

I think more probably that people are going to assume that, because it was selected for use by USMC, it has undergone far more testing than any of us have the resources to spend. I dont think thats a bad assumption.

As to whether the people evaluating those results have any idea what they are doing, thats another thing. After all, they also approved the M16a2. Great for the square range, not so much combat. A failure of the evaluators.

I think more probably that people are going to assume that, because it was selected for use by USMC, it has undergone far more testing than any of us have the resources to spend. I dont think thats a bad assumption.

As to whether the people evaluating those results have any idea what they are doing, thats another thing. After all, they also approved the M16a2. Great for the square range, not so much combat. A failure of the evaluators.

There have been several different trials conducted by a few groups. As I recall, it was neither more nor less sturdy than other good quality options.

ILya

The scope body is objectively more durable than most other scopes due to the material.

But I doubt the internals are really much different than a Credo/Accupower. And more force may actually be transmitted to internals when the scope body doesn’t absorb the forces as much through deformation.

I've had a shitload of different LPVO's and the ATACR with the new reticle is the best I've ever owned. The Gen III Razor was very dissapointing. The Gen II Razor is my second fave behind the ATACR.
Love the Gen 2 razor but not a huge fan of the Atacr. I just got an Atacr 1-8 with the new reticle and already thinking of selling it. Will probably go with either the Kahles K18i or the Swarovski Z8i

Have the K16i, would def recommend the K18i if you require 1-8x.

Mate had ATACR 1-8 and wasn’t a fan. Sold it after a couple pig trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCP
I've had a shitload of different LPVO's and the ATACR with the new reticle is the best I've ever owned. The Gen III Razor was very dissapointing. The Gen II Razor is my second fave behind the ATACR.

I'm in a similar boat as the OP but I'd be fine with 1-6 also. Why do you like the NF better? I am curious because I have not found a 1-8 yet that I liked. Primarily because the eyebox becomes tight at 8x and others the image starts to darken a bit. I have tried NF 1-8, Credo 1-8, and the new PA PLX Compact 1-8. Thanks.

Love the Gen 2 razor but not a huge fan of the Atacr. I just got an Atacr 1-8 with the new reticle and already thinking of selling it. Will probably go with either the Kahles K18i or the Swarovski Z8i

And why are you not loving your new ATACR?

CM

LPVOs vary greatly in what they are good and poor at. You need to figure out what attributes are most important for you. The ATACR is my fav so far, I like the reticle, 1x is flat and natural feeling and the illumination is bright.

I'm in a similar boat as the OP but I'd be fine with 1-6 also. Why do you like the NF better? I am curious because I have not found a 1-8 yet that I liked. Primarily because the eyebox becomes tight at 8x and others the image starts to darken a bit. I have tried NF 1-8, Credo 1-8, and the new PA PLX Compact 1-8. Thanks.

And why are you not loving your new ATACR?

CM
I ordered one. Waited 8 months for the Atacr to arrive and just wasn’t overly impressed with it. It’s still brand new in the box

I have beat the snot out of my Razor Gen2 non E 1-6. The VMR-2 reticle is super simple and the dot is daylight bright.

Reactions: Moose
You weren't too far off. At about 42 minutes into the movie, Zaroff tell Rainsford that he's going to hunt him like a leopard. Which means he's switching from the bow & arrow to the rifle.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the villain is carrying a Winchester Model 54 with a Winchester A5 scope.

My apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

Anyway, my only experience with a LPVO is with the Burris 1-4X for an AR-15. The Vortex Viper PST 2-10X is the only other scopes for me that come close. So I'll be watching this thread for recommendations.

Reactions: JS8588
LPVOs are really a mixed bag. All of them.

The razor 1-6 gen 2 is generally regarded as one of the best scopes at 1x. This should rank high in your list of 1x is a priority. Weight isn't great, but the -E models aren't bad. Gives up a bit on the top end (6 vs 8/10x). Reticles aren't great for long range shooting at small targets. Great deals on slightly used scopes.

The ATACR seems to be regarded as well rounded. Not too heavy. Good illumination. Reticle is usable at 1x with illumination. FC-DMX is a fantastic at 8x. Optical performance is good at 1x and 8x. It's expensive for what it is, but used they aren't too bad.

Razor 1-10 seems to get mixed reviews. Some people like the 1x, others hate it. Most people complain that the scope is difficult to use at 10x. Everyone agrees illumination is good.

Personally, I don't think there is much of a difference between 6x and 8x or 8x and 10x. All 8x/10x scopes with a 24mm objective are going to give up ease of use and image brightness at top end compared to a 6x with a 24mm objective. And even a 6x with a 24mm objective is going to darken at top end... Based on what you are describing, I'd likely go with a razor 1-6, just for the 1x performance, as that seems to be the undisputed best 1x performance on the market. My second choice would be the ATACR. The ATACR is generally considered easy to use at 1x, while the 10x razor gets mixed reviews. The ATACR reticle is usable at 1x without illum (not ideal). The razor 1-10 reticles are likely more difficult to use at 1x without illumination. To me that is worth something.

Strangely, I ended up with a NX8 which is a very unique scope that is generally love it or hate it. But like I said, most LPVOs have significant compromises, weighing those compromises and expectations against your needs is critical.

Long term the vortex is your best bet, from a warranty perspective. If you are gonna run it a few years and sell it, that matters less.

I really like the NX8, since you can get the good reticle in it now. Its lighter, smaller and has a smaller eyebox than the G3 or ATACR8, but it fits better on a SBR/Carbine and the dot is nuclear bright for 1x shooting.

If you want the best, the S&B dual CC is it. But be prepared to shell out $4500+ or whatever they cost now.

The new eotech 1-10 is worth looking at. Mil/leo price is around 1350 , and its going to be one of the fastest on 1x, especially if you like eotech reticle.

I have a Razor II e 1-6 and am really not that impressed by it's performance on 1x.

The image resolution is noticably worse than the Kahles 1-6 or ATACR. I believe that this aspect is underrated in these conversations. It is one thing to look through the scope at a 4'x4' white plate in the middle of a sunny field. It is another to look for camouflaged or obstructed targets, or to look into woods or shadows. The resolution makes a difference at any magnification.

The eye box seems tighter than the Kahles and similar to the ATACR.

The razor does have a large field of view and minimal scope shadow but that comes at a price. There is a lot more distortion and fish eye than the Kahles. The ATACR has some distortion but the scope shadow creates a barrier so that my brain can process the image as I am scanning. It is very useable. With the razor there seems to be a lot of distortion along the edge of the field of view where there would otherwise be shadow with the ATACR. It is very hard for my brain to process this while scanning. I can never get used to it or fix it no matter how much I adjust the diopter.

With the ATACR I can mitigate the scope shadow by removing the gigantic end caps and moving the optic as far forward as possible. This makes it work for me like an aimpoint where I look through and around it on 1x.

The illumination on all 3 is perfectly usable.

If the best 1x was my priority I would go with Kahles. It has the best eye box and field of view, and has better image quality and less distortion/fish eye than the razor. If shooting tiny groups or capability beyond 400 yards was important, go for the ATACR.

Just curious, what didn't you like about the gen3 razor 1-10? What do like better about the atacr?

Just curious, what didn't you like about the gen3 razor 1-10? What do like better about the atacr?
I was just very underwhelmed with the Gen III Razor. I felt the eyebox was overall shitty compared to a Gen II Razor, I felt the 1x performance was not spectacular, wasn't thrilled about the reticle. I think the ATACR has brighter glass, superior 1x performance, and the FC-DMX reticle is the shit. I also feel the ATACR would be more reliable in a SHTF scenario. YMMV. I also got a smoking deal on the ATACR; if I had to pay retail I doubt I'd have bought it.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382
I was just very underwhelmed with the Gen III Razor. I felt the eyebox was overall shitty compared to a Gen II Razor, I felt the 1x performance was not spectacular, wasn't thrilled about the reticle. I think the ATACR has brighter glass, superior 1x performance, and the FC-DMX reticle is the shit. I also feel the ATACR would be more reliable in a SHTF scenario. YMMV. I also got a smoking deal on the ATACR; if I had to pay retail I doubt I'd have bought it.
G2 Razor 1-6x is hard to beat at their $900 sale prices nowadays.

I just picked up the Eotech Vudu 1-10x. Overall fit and finish is very nice. Glass is very clear. FOV is large and eye box is forgiving (I’ve run the Vortex 1-6 Gen2E for years). Illumination is day bright, but not aimpoint dot or NF / Vortex LPVO bright. My biggest concern is the reticle size at 1x. It’s small (as expected with a FFP optic). If they could have made their “Eotech ring” work with this reticle it would have been money. 56yr old eyes are just not digging it. Reticle becomes usable (for me) at 3x (with or without illumination). I can run a dot above or offset to the Eotech and leave Eotech at 3x, but that basically turns my 1-10 into a 3-10x. Other complaint is the dot size in the middle of the reticle as it’s big when you add magnification. 2MOA I believe. If holding elevation at distance (which most likely would with this optic as elevation turret is not great, but functional) it’s not a huge deal because stadia below the dot are thin enough. I’ve got a few days before I have to return it (haven’t mounted it) so will look at it some more. They almost nailed it. I think all these 1-8 / 1-10 are a compromise. I’ve looked through the ATACR 1-8 and Vortex 1-10 and didn’t love either, especially at the cost. Was hoping the Eotech would offer a different approach, but it’s just not there for me. May just go to a 3-18 and add a dot or stick with a SFP Vortex Gen2 1-6, but really wanted more magnification.

Last edited: