• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope recommendation for my M1A

mole177

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
CA
Howdy all, I have a loaded standard M1A with the extended rail (MA2897CA.)

Goal is to reach out and say hi to targets further than 600 yards.

I was looking at Leupold's Mark IV line...
Is the only difference b/w Long Range and Extended range front focal??

My budget is fair (less than $1.8k.)

I am a total green horn in scopes. I've been using irons for about 3 years. I apologize in advance if I am not specific enough.

TIA!

Oh, and I hear badger rings are the way to go.

Re: Scope recommendation for my M1A

Look at the Bushnell 6500 series good scope for the $$$ or a Burris Tactical, Nikon's upper end scopes are also within that range as well.

Good Luck!
Steve

bump*

Can anyone explain the difference b/w Extended range and Long range for Leupolds?

The LR/T has 100MOA internal elevation adjustment, whereas the ER/T has only 60MOA. The other difference is, as noted, the ER/T is a FFP scope. Hope this helps.

With a 1,800 dollar budget, I'd have to say a USO ST-10 with matching turrets and reticles are the best option.

44mm Ergo, with #3 matching turrets, you can stay under 1300.

I'll second that recommendation. I have one on an FN SPR and it is the best scope I own to date. Leupold is a good scope, but the USO's are in another league.

leupold vx-III 6.5-20x50. I have been using this scope for about a year and some change now on my 700. It is great in low light situations and you would definitely have no problems reaching out 600+ yards. I got mine for just under $700.00 it has served me well.

Wowsers...

US optics pricing are no joke...

That is out of my reach at the moment.

max of 1800, not minimum. :lol:

I got the ST-10 on my SPR for $700 from a guy on another board. You can find deals on them if you are patient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wowsers...

max of 1800, not minimum. :lol: </div></div>

ST-10 base model, mil dot reticle, MkIII Rings, will run you about $1150. My guess is if you call and ask, you may be able to get the whole enchilada with a small break if you ask nice. THEN you will have one of the toughest systems you can buy that will outlast you, your kid, and probably his kid.
That figure is closer to the lower part of your budget and easily obtainable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MMike said:
Wowsers...

max of 1800, not minimum. :lol: </div></div>

I don't know what ST10 you were looking at, but you can get one as low as 945, or as high as 2200. Last I knew Doc had one or two in stock, both priced at around 1000. Reasonably, if you HAVE to have parralax adjustment, you can still keep it at 1150 which is still less than a $1500 10x M3 Leupold (Midway pricing, can be had cheaper).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ST-10 base model, mil dot reticle, MkIII Rings, will run you about $1150. My guess is if you call and ask, you may be able to get the whole enchilada with a small break if you ask nice. THEN you will have one of the toughest systems you can buy that will outlast you, your kid, and probably his kid.
That figure is closer to the lower part of your budget and easily obtainable </div></div>

+1. I don't know about you, but I don't need a ST10 will all the bells and whistles. Basic model will cost you less than a new M3 10x from Leupold, and IMO, be better constructed. At least the reticle won't be canted...

I 2nd the Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR. I use it on my Colt 6600 HBAR and one on my Remy PSS 223. Great scope bright clear optics with excellent resolution.

ST-10
# Base price $945
# No options selected.
# ERGO Upgrade - 200.00
# 44mm - Standard Option
# U.S. #1 1/2 MOA - Standard Option
# U.S. #1 1/4 MOA - Standard Option
# 30mm - Standard Option
# No Color selected.
# MOA Scale Type 1 - Standard Option
# No Reticle Lighting selected.
# Lo Profile Housing - Standard Option
# Rapid Focus - Standard Option

<span style="font-weight: bold">$1145</span>

Choose mil/mil/mil if you want,,add $185 if you want illum

http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=ST-1000

If you want a 1.8-10 SN-3 add the ergo and still under $1800
As long as other options are standard.

With a $1800 budget you can get some very nice optics. You might want to take a look at the optics for sale here on the Hide. I have Leupold 3.5-10x on my NM M1A. Good luck.

There is a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 mildot in the Optics & Accessories for sale section for a bit under your limit. If you look through that scope, you will never be satisified with Leupold or lesser scopes. I've gone to MOA/MOA scopes, but my Diavari is too awesome to sell. I've owned mine for over 5 years with zero problems, keeping it for something "special" in the future :)

Nice rifle, I love the M1A platform. The NXS line of scopes are in your price range. The fully loaded 5.5-22x56mm with Zero stop turrets in milradians & MLR illuminated reticule delivered to your door for $1892.95 - that might be overkill though. Plenty of models under $1800. Keep us posted as to what you get and how it performs.

After a 5 month build wait I just got my 2nd USO--SN3 1.8-10x44 with lit reticle
It's at the upper end of your price range but you will never regret going top of the line.

PreBan Springfield M1a,Bolt,Trigger Group,Op Rod all TRW.Winchester barrel.Smith mount.US Optics rings

ForSale014.jpg

ForSale012.jpg