• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope recommendation - wild boar, shorter ranges

cega

Supreme Сasual Dating Verified Females
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Ok, I know this is yet another "Help me find a scope" post but this is an area I generally don't play in so any suggestions much appreciated.

Here is the situation:

My brother-in-law has convinced me that I really need to give him a DPMS LR-308 that I have sitting in my safe. He wants it for wild boar hunting (mainly) over in Bulgaria where the typical ranges are more suited to 00 buck and/or slugs than anything else. Adding to the fun here is while he is a great shot with a shotgun (regional champion in skeet) he would have a better chance throwing any rifle at whatever he is trying to hit than actually shooting. Being young he naturally knows everything and takes instruction about like you might imagine.

Never being one not to want it all, especially if others are paying, he wants a lower power variable scope on it as well. Something that is down near 1x on the low end, not higher than 10x on the upper end.

I'm ok with donating rifle but am a bit hung on what scope to get for him. He is famously rough on everything so the idea of dropping any decent coin on a scope for him is not the wisest of plans.

Anyone have a good suggestion on a scope that might fit the bill? Anyone have a good, used scope that might fit the bill that they want to sell?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Re: Scope recommendation - wild boar, shorter ranges

For wild boar, in the brush, on a semi-auto...

AIMPOINT.

It really depends on "HIS" preference though. I tried the low variable scopes...I had eye relief issues while drawing up quickly and while on the move. Sitting in a stand or prone...sure, scope works well. The Aimpoint T-1 is really fantastic for working multiple targets, dense cover, or follow up shots. It's also fine at longer ranges.

What I have not tried...that I would like to some day, is a S&B Short Dot. Not sure if I would keep it over an Aimpoint for the given application...but it is on the list.

Good luck!

I had tossed around the idea of an Aimpoint but he has it in his head that he wants a variable scope. It may be better that way anyway since a lot of his hunting will be from a static position waiting as the dogs drive the boars in to the area.

Thanks for the idea though, maybe I can lobby him on this some more.

Ok, what were you doing when your brother took the pictures that make it your problem to equip him?

OFG

If only - with a 3 month old baby boy here all I do is work and change diapers!

Actually he was pretty smart on the DPMS - he knew it has sat largely untouched for a couple of years and he went at it through his sister (my wife) knowing that I'd sooner give him that rifle than let her in to my gun safe to rummage around herself.

He is a great guy in fact. I bust his balls a bunch about stupid crap like this but at the end of the day he is doing a kickass job running a bunch of our family businesses and works some long, long hours and days so on this one he gets an "atta boy"....and some gear too.

Suggest a 1.5-5x32 Nitrex TR1 from www.natchezss.com. This Nitrex is basically a Weaver Grand Slam that sells for around $300. Nitrex (by Weaver) line was discontinued and so this scope is just $120 plus shipping.

If price is not an option, get the Elcan SpecterDr. Variable power from 1-4 with the throw of a lever. I have one on my MWS. I think it would suit his needs perfectly. Hogs beware.....

Totally depends on budget.

Low end - Burris XTR 1-4
Mid low - SWFA SS 1-4
Mid high - Meopta ZD 1-4/Vortex 1-6
High end - Swaro Z6i

Lots of great scopes out there. All of those are good scopes and have good reputations. All are pretty fast and easy to use. The Meopta is in my opinion the best all around 1-4, and the Swaro is the best all around 1-6. The Vortex is slick, and the SWFA is nice too. I also like all their reticules. But, how much do you want to spend...

Aimpoint T-1 with a flip to the side magnifier whould probably be the best solution.

Mostly users have 1-4X or 1-6.
a number have aimpoints.
We hunt a lot like that here.
Personally I have a 1-4X Trijicon on my rifle for driven game.
I cannot see any reason in the world to have larger magnification for it.

Check up bulgarian laws first.
Mostly european countries does not allow military styled rifles for hunting and I would be surprised if Bulgaria does.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly users have 1-4X or 1-6.
a number have aimpoints.

Mostly european countries does not allow military styled rifles for hunting and I would be surprised if Bulgaria does.

Håkan </div></div> why would he need to check up bulgarian hunting laws, he's in Maryland.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDStroup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly users have 1-4X or 1-6.
a number have aimpoints.

Håkan </div></div> why would he need to check up bulgarian hunting laws, he's in Maryland. </div></div>

I didnt know there is a Bulgaria in Maryland?
"My brother-in-law has convinced me that I really need to give him a DPMS LR-308 that I have sitting in my safe. He wants it for wild boar hunting (mainly) over in Bulgaria where the typical ranges are more suited to 00 buck and/or slugs than anything else. Adding to the fun here is while he is a great shot with a shotgun (regional champion in skeet) he would have a better chance throwing any rifle at whatever he is trying to hit than actually shooting. Being young he naturally knows everything and takes instruction about like you might imagine."

Hakan -

Thanks for the reminder re. military styled rifles, I will have him double check.

Carl