• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Good afternoon, I had posted on another thread about wanting to do a M40 platform tribute build. I say tribute because its going to be left handed, and in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have had ZERO proper training in the use of optics. So whatever I get will be going with me to training and classes.

I'm needing scope recommendations and I'll list the ones I'm looking at. All of them are FFP and in MRAD. The rifle will be used in a predominantly bench rest, prone, competition, and class shooting role. It might go hunting with me as well. Max range I have access to is 1,100 yards. I though about getting a Leupold Mk 4 4.5-15x50 but its not FFP has mismatched MOA knobs on a MIL reticle, which I read on this sight isn't ideal. I was also warned that just because the military uses it doesn't mean its the best option. I'm a little nervous about "christmas tree" reticles as they look busy to me. However I realize that they might be the best option and I need to be open-minded and could be trained on it from the start.

Here are the ones I'm considering. My max dollar right now is $1,500

1. Arken SH4 GEN2 4-16X50mm FFP MIL VPR
2. Arken EPL4 4-16x44 FFP MIL VHR Illuminated Reticle
3. Athlon MIDAS TAC HD 4-16×44 APRS2 FFP MIL
4. BurrisXTR III 3.3-18x50mm - SCR Mil
5. NIGHTFORCE SHV 4-14X50 F1 .1 MIL -ILLUMINATED MIL-R RETICLE
6. Vortex Viper PST GEN II 3-15X44 FFP
7. Bushnell ELITE TACTICAL 3.5-21X50 DMR3 RIFLESCOPE G4P RETICLE

Last edited:
Reactions: Mc Max
Will you need illumination for your hunting?

Of the ones you have listed I would get the Burris or Bushnell. Both have excellent reticles and are well built scopes. I would get the EQL reticle with the Bushnell though. Also I would take a look at the 5.5-30 Burris XTR III unless you need that lower power as you will use the upper power more than the lower power in your uses.

And those christmas tree reticles will show their worth when you use them.

Will you need illumination for your hunting?

Of the ones you have listed I would get the Burris or Bushnell. Both have excellent reticles and are well built scopes. I would get the EQL reticle with the Bushnell though. Also I would take a look at the 5.5-30 Burris XTR III unless you need that lower power as you will use the upper power more than the lower power in your uses.

And those christmas tree reticles will show their worth when you use them.
Nope, I won't need illumination.

Then definitely those two from the ones mentioned and make sure to look at the 5.5-30 also. And if buying the Burris check out Scott at Liberty Optics. Put the scope in the cart for the price.

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
Those are top end recommendations.

I like the G4 better than the EQL.

Its all about preference.
Im by no means a competitor though.
I dial up and hold wind.
Can hold both, but like that best.

There “may” be a new reticle choice with the Burris xtr3 this year……
IMO, gonna make that Burris 3-18 a winner over a LOT of scopes, even more than the scr2

With hunting being a maybe and a lot of other stuff before it I would not go that route.

swfa has their 5 x 20 x 50 30 mm on sale right now for around 800 non illuminated mil ffp thats a solid and reliable scope. I'd get that or a nightforce shv. you'll maybe get some more bells and whistles and maybe a touch better glass but they wont compare to the durability and reliability of those 2 brands

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
swfa has their 5 x 20 x 50 30 mm on sale right now for around 800 non illuminated mil ffp thats a solid and reliable scope. I'd get that or a nightforce shv. you'll maybe get some more bells and whistles and maybe a touch better glass but they wont compare to the durability and reliability of those 2 brands
I've never heard of SWFA. I'll check them out.

Bushnell DMR3. Had one, glass was awesome. Wish it had illumination…

If you save a little more, and watch the PX, you can find a good deal on a used G2 Vortex.

Reactions: TheSunPope
I have the Bushnell ET 3.5-21 with G3 reticle (Made in Japan), very simple tree. I also grabbed another SWFA 5-20 (Also Made in Japan NOT China), with a basic MIL reticle. At this price you could use it until you figure out exactly what you want down the road, and move the SWFA over to a 223 plinker or rimfire if you want a tree reticle later.

Reactions: tacoman69
I’m not opposed to it. I’d looked into buying a used MK4 Mil-dot from Leupold.
Don't do that itd probably be someone who had issues with it tracking, Leupold is not the most reliable brand. If you go used get something solid like a nightforce

Another vote for the DMR3 in EQL or G4, great eye box and relief.
If you're mil/leo/etc sign up for the Bushnell VIP program for a nice discount.
And of course, post pics! I'm a lefty and have always appreciated the M40 or classic hunter stock builds.
Which stock and bottom metal you plan to use?

Reactions: TheSunPope
I owned the Arken SH4 GEN2 4-16X50mm FFP MIL VPR, great scope for sure glass and reticle great and turrets are damn good .

Another vote for the DMR3 in EQL or G4, great eye box and relief.
If you're mil/leo/etc sign up for the Bushnell VIP program for a nice discount.
And of course, post pics! I'm a lefty and have always appreciated the M40 or classic hunter stock builds.
Which stock and bottom metal you plan to use?
I'm going to go with the McMillan A-4 stock in a desert finish. The barrel will be Cerakoted in McMillan Tan. I plan on using either "Pacific Tool Gauge's" Remington 700 fixed tactical bottom metal or "Atlas Works" AICS pattern bottom metal.

Not sure if anyone is interested but this new Tract Toric with German Schott glass is on sale for pre-order with a huge amount if total elevation travel and a much cheaper alternative compared to the Zeiss LRP S3 with direct to consumer pricing and no middleman. They also have an excellent satisfaction guarantee or your money back which I personally have never needed to use and I've owned 3 Tract Torics so far. They're great and more affordable than my March, Nightforce, Sightron SVIII scopes and are great values whenever they go on sale or with 15% law enforcement or military discount. Pre-order for the discount.