• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Recommendation

DntRun2YourDeath

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2023
Alabama
Currently, mapping out my list of parts for a tikka 308, 20inch build. The rifle will be placed in a LE Sniper role/ call out rifle. Unfortunately, we are not issued any gear, but I’m allowed to use what I like and is quality.

Requirements:20> Max Magnification FFP, MRAD, Illumination, Reliable Tracking, and Durability. Prefer a reticle with built in holdovers.

Budget is 800-1500, but need to stay lower if possible.

First post, my apologies if I left something out.

Reactions: SXS00
You should likely move this discussion to the LE section.
But here goes, I've been doing this for a bit and have found what works and what doesn't (for me), I have changed my views on things, with the assistance and guidance of @Terry Cross.
You have some of the requirements in the correct order (tracking, reliability)
One thing you haven't considered is field of view. You want the MOST field of view you can get.
The majority of call-outs are within 50 yards, you need FOV and clarity.
Magnification: More is NOT better. Scale back you magnification.
3-15 is an excellent mag range, 3-18 is very good, 2-16 is almost optimal there is NOTHING wrong with a good 2.5-10 or 3-9.
Very few FFP scopes are suitable for LE work. Been there, done that. The reticle is too fine at the magnification you're likely going to be using to pick it up in the shadows or dark background. There are a few exceptions. A Burris XTR II with the G2B reticle is a pretty damn solid choice, on 3 power, it looks and acts like a standard duplex crosshair.
mil/mil or moa/moa doesn't matter, pick one, learn to use it.
My choice, after going through several really decent FFP options, is the SFP trijicon Credo 2.5-15x56.
You are not ranging with your scope, nor are you, for the most part, doing hold overs. If you are, it is on body parts or other identifiable elements (for instance: top button of shirt, brow line or V intersection of shirt)

feel free to message me.

Arken Optics EP5 5-25x56mm FFP MIL VPR Reticle
The EP is a FFP (First Focal Plane) optic that features Japanese ED glass to enhance clarity and minimize dispersion. The Arken EP is outfitted with our AZS (Arken Zero Stop) and incorporates adjustable elevation and windage turrets with tactile and audible clicks. These turrets are 10 MIL/25 MOA per revolution.

Reactions: FuhQ
Arken Optics EP5 5-25x56mm FFP MIL VPR Reticle
The EP is a FFP (First Focal Plane) optic that features Japanese ED glass to enhance clarity and minimize dispersion. The Arken EP is outfitted with our AZS (Arken Zero Stop) and incorporates adjustable elevation and windage turrets with tactile and audible clicks. These turrets are 10 MIL/25 MOA per revolution.
This has to be a joke.

On a fucking call out rifle. A chicom arken pos. Really?

Currently, mapping out my list of parts for a tikka 308, 20inch build. The rifle will be placed in a LE Sniper role/ call out rifle. Unfortunately, we are not issued any gear, but I’m allowed to use what I like and is quality.

Requirements:20> Max Magnification FFP, MRAD, Illumination, Reliable Tracking, and Durability. Prefer a reticle with built in holdovers.

Honestly for a work gun, I would look at a used or Mil/LEP priced NF ATACR F1 with Mil-C in 4-16 or 5-25.

Maybe a MK5, but you are going to spend the same as the ATACR if you want illum and a decent reticle.

Other option is a Gen 2 razor. Probably as reliable as the ATACR with slightly worse glass but better turrets and eyebox.

Also, I know its not what you want to hear but gear means little without training. Having an untrained marksman is all kinds of fubar in a LE situation. If your agency/dept cant afford traininig and equipment, then they need to leave the cool kid shit up to someone else. Don't put yourself in that situation where your ass will be hanging in the wind.

Honestly for a work gun, I would look at a used or Mil/LEP priced NF ATACR F1 with Mil-C in 4-16 or 5-25.

Maybe a MK5, but you are going to spend the same as the ATACR if you want illum and a decent reticle.

Other option is a Gen 2 razor. Probably as reliable as the ATACR with slightly worse glass but better turrets and eyebox.

Also, I know its not what you want to hear but gear means little without training. Having an untrained marksman is all kinds of fubar in a LE situation. If your agency/dept cant afford traininig and equipment, then they need to leave the cool kid shit up to someone else. Don't put yourself in that situation where your ass will be hanging in the wind.
They are unwilling for both unfortunately. I’ve been paying for all my training and equipment myself. As soon as I am no longer contractually obligated I will be leaving for better salary and better secondary support.

But here goes, I've been doing this for a bit and have found what works and what doesn't (for me), I have changed my views on things, with the assistance and guidance of @Terry Cross.
One thing you haven't considered is field of view. You want the MOST field of view you can get.
3-15 is an excellent mag range, 3-18 is very good, 2-16 is almost optimal there is NOTHING wrong with a good 2.5-10 or 3-9.
Very few FFP scopes are suitable for LE work. Been there, done that. The reticle is too fine at the magnification you're likely going to be using to pick it up in the shadows or dark background. There are a few exceptions. A Burris XTR II with the G2B reticle is a pretty damn solid choice, on 3 power, it looks and acts like a standard duplex crosshair.
My choice, after going through several really decent FFP options, is the SFP trijicon Credo 2.5-15x56.
You are not ranging with your scope, nor are you, for the most part, doing hold overs. If you are, it is on body parts or other identifiable elements (for instance: top button of shirt, brow line or V intersection of shirt)

feel free to message me.
Apologies…. I was unaware of an LE section.

feel free to message me.
The biggest reason why I am wanting a larger magnification level is I’m planning to take some personal training classes that will be at extended ranges.

The biggest reason why I am wanting a larger magnification level is I’m planning to take some personal training classes that will be at extended ranges.

My best placing in a long range match, out to 1K, was on a hot day in July. Mirage was so bad I was in the 10-12x range. More power is nice to have but as mentioned, FFP and close ranges means you would be using lower magnification so the reticle would be small. Just listen to what Terry Cross has to say, there's other threads on here like this one.

Reactions: DntRun2YourDeath
Hard to beat the Burris XTRIII in the sub $1500 price point. The 5,5-30×56 with the SCR2 reticle checks all your boxes. Extremely durable and reliable.

Reactions: Rob01
Keep in mind, the USMC ran 10x scope, when they upgraded to a variable. It was 3-12. Army ran a 10x for many years. Both services recognize the limitations of the .308, 800 for Army, 1000 for the USMC. On full size targets, 10x is fine for ranges beyond 1000. You can hit 2 moa targets with 15x at 1000

I think enough info has been given here to make a good decision, gear wise. However, as former LE myself I'd be telling my dept to kick rocks if they expected me to spend this kind of personal money for such a serious role that opens me as the individual officer up to so much liability and then not even send me to some kind of formal training. I'm a building inspector now for a very small town with a 14 officer PD and even they find a way to equip and send their officers to swat school and the two guys who are "snipers" got reasonable equipment and sent to a state approved sniper course. I don't know what state you're in, but here in NC most LE coursework is run through community colleges with instructors coming in from various agencies to teach and readily available course catalogs with fairly easy to get into classes. Even if it's not that way where you are, your state definitely has an approved LE sniper class somewhere that you NEED to put your foot down and make them send you or else you don't do this. If things go wrong, they may have to pay a settlement, but it's your career that will be over. You may also end up being in prison while they still sit in their offices.

Please step carefully around what you let drive your choices.

If you are taking personal training classes to further you professional development then the correct classes by design will not necessitate higher magnification .

You can centerpunch a 2/3 IPSC at 800yds with 10x AND never loose the target during recoil.

Resolution over magnication.

Zero need for FFP in L.E.
FFP can actually be a liability.

Let your mission drive your training choices.
Let your mission drive your equipment choices.

If you are taking personal training classes to further you professional development then the correct classes by design will not necessitate higher magnification .

You can centerpunch a 2/3 IPSC at 800yds with 10x AND never loose the target during recoil.

c2f066bd-2026-4961-8070-563e19a08e25_text.gif

Since you're LE and qualify for ExpertVoice, check out the Athlon offerings. They'll be quite a bit less than you can get elsewhere... You can spend less on glass and spend more elsewhere for your kit.

I think enough info has been given here to make a good decision, gear wise. However, as former LE myself I'd be telling my dept to kick rocks if they expected me to spend this kind of personal money for such a serious role that opens me as the individual officer up to so much liability and then not even send me to some kind of formal training. I'm a building inspector now for a very small town with a 14 officer PD and even they find a way to equip and send their officers to swat school and the two guys who are "snipers" got reasonable equipment and sent to a state approved sniper course. I don't know what state you're in, but here in NC most LE coursework is run through community colleges with instructors coming in from various agencies to teach and readily available course catalogs with fairly easy to get into classes. Even if it's not that way where you are, your state definitely has an approved LE sniper class somewhere that you NEED to put your foot down and make them send you or else you don't do this. If things go wrong, they may have to pay a settlement, but it's your career that will be over. You may also end up being in prison while they still sit in their offices.
Very aware of the liability, and that’s why I’m putting together a rifle. I’m attending state approved sniper school On my own dime as I already did with SWAT school. Passing the Buck and staying in my own lane is what breathes complacency and the opinion to continue let someone else do the job rather than except liability concerns and rise to the occasion.

Reactions: 1bonspy

I don't have any recommendations for you on optics, but if you haven't already I recommend signing up for Eurooptics LEO/Mil/First Responder discount. Recently did this and I'm pretty shocked at some of the savings.

Edit: One recommendation I'd make is personally I'd be more concerned about the lower mag than the upper range. IE I have a 6-24 and I don't care for it. I wish I had gone for a 3-18 or 2.5-15, somewhere in there. YMMV, that's just what I've found from personal experience.

Last edited:
Very aware of the liability, and that’s why I’m putting together a rifle. I’m attending state approved sniper school On my own dime as I already did with SWAT school. Passing the Buck and staying in my own lane is what breathes complacency and the opinion to continue let someone else do the job rather than except liability concerns and rise to the occasion.
I recently bought a scope system at my local gun shop and the person who purchased one before me was an LE sniper.
The Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 system was what I got and it's just fantastic. It takes all of the guess work out of making long distance shooting.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show the system in action, and while some may say that it's cheating, I think that when lives are on the line, anything you can do to improve your ability to take a perfect shot, I believe you should use it.
Again, it's the Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 system. Check it out on YouTube and see what you think, but the LE sniper who got one before me was really thrilled with its operation. Best of luck and stay safe.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and Hickswr
Newly released Primary Arms GLx 4.5-27x56 34mm $899 MSRP with occasional 10% discount from Primary Arms and 90 day money back satisfaction guarantee. Made in the Philippines and a much cheaper alternative to the Burris XTR3i with more total elevation travel 120MOA vs 90MOA. Get the Athena BPR MIL.

You may also choose to buy from Optics Planet they'll negotiate a better price over the phone or through their online chat and have free shipping and free returns within 30 days if you aren't 100% satisfied with it.

Interesting features shake awake type technology in case you forget to turn off the Illuminated reticle, new improved ED glass and Leupold CDS ZL push button infinity type turrets that don't limit total elevation travel real world useable well thought out Athena BPR MIL reticle, Lifetime warranty.

@Terry Cross where Can I find some of your info and recommendations on resolution vs magnification? Need a few scopes and that info would be awesome to read as I make a decision.

Thank you sir!

@Terry Cross where Can I find some of your info and recommendations on resolution vs magnification? Need a few scopes and that info would be awesome to read as I make a decision.

Thank you sir!
By "your info" are you referring to my bio or similar?
If so, there is an abbreviated version on the 1MilRt.com site. Go to "Cadre" click me.
Basically I just surf YouTube until I know stuff!

"Need a few scopes"?
Are you assisting in re-equipping some agency guns or personal stuff?

Depending on what you are trying to do, I may or may not be of any assistance.

L8r,
T

Reactions: RayDBonz

NEW up and coming model available for pre-order at a discounted price. I owned a total of 3 Tract Toric scopes and they are nice scopes and a step up compared to the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 and Trijicon Tenmile and Meopta Optika 6. It looks to be a more budget friendly bang for your buck alternative to the Zeiss LRPS3 4-25x due to direct to consumer pricing without any middleman to jack up their prices. I'm going to preorder one. Tract also has a good satisfaction guaranteed or your money back too which I personally never had to use. My eyes like the German Schott glass their scopes use. I really like my March, Nightforce and Sightron SVIII scopes and the Tract Optics and Burris XTR PRO are my tier 2 recommendations for more budget friendly prices and the Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 for $2000 is another recommend scope to buy. For $1300 and some change pre-order pricing, I think this new Tract Toric is a steal. I can already see it taking away sales from certain other brands of higher priced scopes.

By "your info" are you referring to my bio or similar?
If so, there is an abbreviated version on the 1MilRt.com site. Go to "Cadre" click me.
Basically I just surf YouTube until I know stuff!

"Need a few scopes"?
Are you assisting in re-equipping some agency guns or personal stuff?

Depending on what you are trying to do, I may or may not be of any assistance.

L8r,
T

And if you really want to know about Terry I can help out. LOL ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Terry Cross
The only Chicom scopes that are actually worth buying that seems to have already proven so far reliable and better quality than all other Chicom scopes selling under the other popular brand labels are the Athlon Midas Tac and Ares lines of scopes starting from their Midas HD and up and maybe just maybe their Helos 2-12x42. These Chinese made scopes seem to be next level or two up in quality.
This has to be a joke.

On a fucking call out rifle. A chicom arken pos. Really?

Tract Toric 4-20x50. @ $1300. I’ve been running one in F class club matches over the last year. I’ve had it for 2.years now. Tracking is dead on. Excellent glass from Schott. It hits all of your criteria.
This is probably your next investment on discounted pre-order pricing. I got rid of both of my two 4-20x50 30mm Tract Toric scopes due to their very limited 65MOA total elevation travel and kept my 4.5-30x56 34mm which actually had superior image quality when all were compared at 20X magnification. I always like to go with at least 20% - 25% more magnification than needed so I can just back down the magnification for way better eyebox and much sweeter image quality. In fact I replaced my 4-20x50 Tract Torics with a couple of Chinese Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 FFPs and use them mostly as 4.5-20x scopes with much nicer tactile turrets and way more total elevation travel 85MOA vs 65MOA and are lighter weight too and image quality is also better believe it or not and for $700 but now they're on sale even cheaper for $607-$612 with free shipping and free returns I think I'm buying more Chinese unfortunately since everyplace else currently sells them for $869.99. They're better than the new Bushnell Match Pro ED which sells for $699.99 which is also Chinese but they seem to be two levels below the Athlon.

I recently bought a scope system at my local gun shop and the person who purchased one before me was an LE sniper.
The Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 system was what I got and it's just fantastic. It takes all of the guess work out of making long distance shooting.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show the system in action, and while some may say that it's cheating, I think that when lives are on the line, anything you can do to improve your ability to take a perfect shot, I believe you should use it.
Again, it's the Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 system. Check it out on YouTube and see what you think, but the LE sniper who got one before me was really thrilled with its operation. Best of luck and stay safe.
As a former combat sniper who had multiple deployments and assignments I successfully completed, I'm also a guy who ended up with TBI symptoms that have left me with disabling symptoms I can't see like I did when I was a kid.
I retired after heading up my firm that provided security consulting for schools and offices due to having trouble from a never-ending, intractable migraine, I just can't see very well because of auras that are another symptom.
So, having the Sig Sauer BDX scope system allows me to shoot nearly as well as I did back when I was still a young guy.
I spent 15 years, from the age of 17 until I was 32, serving the US as a sniper.
Living this long is an experience many of my brothers never had.
Of course, I CAN still visit them ... By going to Arlington National Cemetery.

Not being as fully functioning now is just how it goes for some of us who honorably served this country.
The fact that a Sig Sauer BDX system allows me to shoot well on my little 60-acre horse farm in the middle of nowhere in Virginia truly helps me feel better.
Being able to carry the rifle I inherited from my Cherokee grandfather and knowing that it's the 1st rifle I shot that wasn't a .22, is a remarkable gift.
My Cherokee grandfather taught me to track anything from a deer, human being, rabbits, raccoons, birds, even leaves and pine needles. Tracking is not really that different from using the theory that French criminologist Edmund Locard's exchange principle. His ground breaking work and the establishment of the 1st CSI lab was the precursor of modern criminal science investigation laboratories.
On addition to tracking, he taught me stalk, hunt and especially to shoot.
After my inheritance of an FN Herstal Mauser 98k chambered in 30-06, I took it out of the beautiful walnut stock and replaced it with an Archangel, composite stock, reminiscent of the advanced stocks from my time as a military sniper and saving the exceptional walnut one from the abuse it would have taken.
I've got a friend who is also a combat veteran owns a gun shop and is an excellent gunsmith. I asked him to work his magic on my old Mauser.
He rehabbed my barrel, reworked the slide, aded scope rings, and eventually mounted the Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 scope system to my then 82 year old FN Herstal Mauser 98k.
The rifle is now 83 years old, information that I verified with FN Herstal itself. They looked up my serial numbers to verify the date of manufacture and called me at home letting me know their results.
That I'm still shooting the rifle my Cherokee grandfather used to teach me long distance shooting over 55 years ago means a lot to me. He crossed over after I separated from government service, and meant so much to me. I feel very privileged to have a reminder of those times together, and that I'm able to shoot very accurately because of the BDX scope system.
I'll take an advantage to help me cope with not seeing as well as I once did, and especially because of the problems from combat TBI. Do I wish I was not injured? You bet, but I'll take living with this as a better option to what my brothers have since I can only visit them in Arlington.
So, before anyone gets their little jollies from the fact that some of us can't shoot as well as you and need some extra help, learn before you give us old combat vets a hard time, because we are diminished from serving our country, your country too very likely.
The other thing is that if you have family that served in combat who came home from serving, there's a chance that a sniper serving on overwatch duty kept your family safe.

As a former combat sniper who had multiple deployments and assignments I successfully completed, I'm also a guy who ended up with TBI symptoms that have left me with disabling symptoms I can't see like I did when I was a kid.
I retired after heading up my firm that provided security consulting for schools and offices due to having trouble from a never-ending, intractable migraine, I just can't see very well because of auras that are another symptom.
So, having the Sig Sauer BDX scope system allows me to shoot nearly as well as I did back when I was still a young guy.
I spent 15 years, from the age of 17 until I was 32, serving the US as a sniper.
Living this long is an experience many of my brothers never had.
Of course, I CAN still visit them ... By going to Arlington National Cemetery.

Not being as fully functioning now is just how it goes for some of us who honorably served this country.
The fact that a Sig Sauer BDX system allows me to shoot well on my little 60-acre horse farm in the middle of nowhere in Virginia truly helps me feel better.
Being able to carry the rifle I inherited from my Cherokee grandfather and knowing that it's the 1st rifle I shot that wasn't a .22, is a remarkable gift.
My Cherokee grandfather taught me to track anything from a deer, human being, rabbits, raccoons, birds, even leaves and pine needles. Tracking is not really that different from using the theory that French criminologist Edmund Locard's exchange principle. His ground breaking work and the establishment of the 1st CSI lab was the precursor of modern criminal science investigation laboratories.
On addition to tracking, he taught me stalk, hunt and especially to shoot.
After my inheritance of an FN Herstal Mauser 98k chambered in 30-06, I took it out of the beautiful walnut stock and replaced it with an Archangel, composite stock, reminiscent of the advanced stocks from my time as a military sniper and saving the exceptional walnut one from the abuse it would have taken.
I've got a friend who is also a combat veteran owns a gun shop and is an excellent gunsmith. I asked him to work his magic on my old Mauser.
He rehabbed my barrel, reworked the slide, aded scope rings, and eventually mounted the Sig Sauer BDX 2.0 scope system to my then 82 year old FN Herstal Mauser 98k.
The rifle is now 83 years old, information that I verified with FN Herstal itself. They looked up my serial numbers to verify the date of manufacture and called me at home letting me know their results.
That I'm still shooting the rifle my Cherokee grandfather used to teach me long distance shooting over 55 years ago means a lot to me. He crossed over after I separated from government service, and meant so much to me. I feel very privileged to have a reminder of those times together, and that I'm able to shoot very accurately because of the BDX scope system.
I'll take an advantage to help me cope with not seeing as well as I once did, and especially because of the problems from combat TBI. Do I wish I was not injured? You bet, but I'll take living with this as a better option to what my brothers have since I can only visit them in Arlington.
So, before anyone gets their little jollies from the fact that some of us can't shoot as well as you and need some extra help, learn before you give us old combat vets a hard time, because we are diminished from serving our country, your country too very likely.
The other thing is that if you have family that served in combat who came home from serving, there's a chance that a sniper serving on overwatch duty kept your family safe.

Are you trolling us? 🤔

A Nightforce NX8, Leupold Mark5HD or Razor Gen 2 would all be around your max budget with LEO discount. All have offerings >20x magnification and are probably up-to-task.

I would go with a Leupold VX-3HD in that budget, but don’t think you could wrong with other options like Vortex either.

If the OP is still here, I would listen to Terry Cross and the other LEO experts. Also, you have a lot of options for used Tier 1 SFP scopes because you are buying it.
I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should do or, least of all buy.
But, the interesting thing is this; a local LEO sniper had just bought a BDX and was leaving the shop as my wife and I were coming in. He was in uniform, so it was clear he was a LEO.
I asked my friend, the gunsmith about him and he told me that he'd bought the same system as me. So, come to your own conclusions.
What you do is your business, I only brought it up in case there was an old guy or 2 looking to see what worked for another old guy, that's all. EOF

What's the slide on a mauser? How do you rehab a barrel? Like stretching and some yoga?
The bolt action on Mauser rifles is the most copied in history.

This happened during WWI:
"Despite Springfield Armory's use of a two-piece firing pin and other slight design alterations, the M1903 was, in fact, a Mauser design, and after that company brought suit, the U.S. government was judged to pay $250,000 in royalties to Mauser Werke.[9]"
What my gunsmith did is his secret. The rifling in my barrel wasn't bad, after he was finished, it was immaculate.
Because of my disability, I don't get to shoot much. Imagine having a migraine 7x24x365 that's so intense that I'm on fentanyl pain patches in addition lot of experimental meds too. I take antiemetics every 3 hours trying to keep food down. I'm 6'3" and barely weigh 160 pounds as a result. That's way down from the 180 to 190 that I weighed, working out every other day while running my security consulting firm before this thing took over my life.
My wife's a mental health counselor and watched my struggles with PTSD and being suicidal from survivor's guilt. She saved my and now she works at the Suicide Prevention Lifeline trying to save more veterans from losing their last battle and dying at their own hands.
Now, tell me again how I'm "trolling" you?
If there's one thing I don't do it's LIE.
I would NEVER dishonor my brothers.
What possible reason would I have for telling all of this if it wasn't simply the truth?
Honestly, what you use is entirely your choice. I'm happy with my choices.
Be well ...