• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendations: 1000-yd Target Competition

Alamo308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Texas
Winchester-action custom Palma rifle, .308 handloads, 29-inch bull barrel. Shooting at 800, 900, and 1000 yards; aiming black is 44 inches across. Right now the gun has PNW rear aperture sight, Tompkins spirit-level front aperture sight, both apertures have Gehmann variable-iris. But my 64-year old eyes are starting to protest, so I want to switch to a scoped setup. I figure I will need a 20-MOA base regardless of just about whatever scope I would get. So my questions are:
1. Fixed magnification or zoom?
2. If zoom, what range, e.g., 3x9, 6x24, etc.?
3. Objective lens size? (I'd like to stay at or below 44mm.)
4. Adjustable objective?
5. Adjustable parallax?
6. What reticle, e.g., mildot, fine X-hair, etc.?
7. Illuminated reticle? (Matches typically start at 9AM, finish by 3pm, and firing lines face north, so ambient light is not a factor, but I don't know if the illuminated reticle aids sight picture under any and all conditions.)
8. Bottom line: budget around $500 to $800.

Re: Scope Recommendations: 1000-yd Target Competition

You don't need illuminated reticle. For fixed distance shooting, you don't need zoom and not having those would save money. You do want a fine reticle, but don't need mildot, mlr or moa tic marks. You don't need First Focal Plane either. Fixed scopes sometimes have adjustable parallax, I've never really understood why, seems to me they don't need it. Older eyes tend to like higher magnification. I'd try and get at least 24 but don't reject a scope because it is zoom.

You might be able to find a used fixed power USO or Schmidt and Bender in your price range, but I can tell you that new you won't get to go new with the big boys in your price range (USO, Premier, Nightforce, S&B are proably all too high in price).

So you are left looking at the Nikon's, Bushnell's etc. Nothing wrong with those. Make sure you get at least 50 moa of elevation adjustment and put a 20 moa base on it as that will give you 45 total moa of elevation, about what you will need (you will probalby only need 35 or so, but you need some reserve).

Sorry I can't be more specific. Keep an eye on the width of the reticles also, you don't want a real thick one.

Leupold has quite a few target scopes in your price range. Go to midwayusa.com and put "Leupold scope target" in the search bar. You will see a lot of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=928807 </div></div>You're link didn't work right. Fixed it for you. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 </div></div>
Thanks.

Since you're talking only target shooting, you might as well give your eyes as much as possible;

Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm

It is a bit of a stretch for your budget, but well worth it. The qlass quality will immediately bring a smile to your face.

Picture006-7.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture007-6.jpg

Since you are talking long-range F-Class, you might want to visit 6mmbr.com and ask them the question also. As mentioned by sniperaviator, you can get more for your money by getting a fixed power, non-illuminated scope with a fine target cross-hair. In the $500 and less category, Leupold, Sightron, and Weaver are the brands that are most popular and reliable. I use a Weaver T-24 and it has everything you need for long-range target shooting:
1. Reliable turrets (most important)
2. Objective parallax adustment
3. Fine target cross hairs.
4. Decent glass & 40mm Obj size
5. Heavily used by fellow competitors: good endorsement.

Be wary of getting too much magnification, it actually will make things more difficult for your "tired eyes." I think 20X is the perfect amount of magnification. 30x to 40x and you will have a dimmer image, more mirage, narrower field of view, less exit pupil....etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Weaver T-24 and it has everything you need for long-range target shooting:
1. Reliable turrets (most important)
2. Objective parallax adustment
3. Fine target cross hairs.
4. Decent glass & 40mm Obj size
5. Heavily used by fellow competitors: good endorsement.
</div></div>
All the comments here have been a great help, many thanks to everybody! I am leaning toward the Weaver T24 (found lowest price of $380 here: BHP PhotoVideo). I really like that reticle; the comments about turrets and competitor's use are positive indicators, too. Some quick research shows that scope 'might' have enough MOA range to not require the 20 MOA base. Does that sound right?

With 60moa of adjustment you will have about 30moa of up available. I would put it on a 20 moa base. With a 20moa base you will have 50moa of up which is plenty.

If 16x is enough and you want some great glass, take a look at the IOR fixed 16x42. Its near the top end of your budget but is a great scope for the money. 100 MOA of adjustment.

The Weaver T24 is perfect. Have been using one for Long Range for several years now. I have a custom 20MOA base from Saturn Custom Machining in Iowa. It is a one piece scope/iron sight system. Best I've seen available.

Also look at the Bushnell 6-24x50 Tactical. It has a 30mm tube with 45MOA of adjustment which will get you to 1000yd, side parallax, good glass, and mil-dot. You can get the ffp model with illuminated reticle, or the sfp model (for target shooting the sfp would be all you need) and it will be around $500 if you look around.

Give Scott at Liberty Optics a chance. He has been great to work with.....

If he doesn't carry something you're set on try Mike at CST or Doug at Cameralandny

Hide supporters....and good people

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Scott at Liberty Optics a chance. He has been great to work with.....

If he doesn't carry something you're set on try Mike at CST or Doug at Cameralandny

Hide supporters....and good people </div></div>

+1 for Scott. If you want to wait a month or so, the 6-24x50 Viper PST's will be out and it right in your price range. I think Scott's price if you call him and tell him your a Hide member is $780 for the PST's. That's a steal

What type of competition?

If you are referring to F-Class, here is a fairly recent picture of our rifle rack during a 1k F-Class match at Bayou Rifles:

bayou1krack.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of competition?
If you are referring to F-Class, here is a fairly recent picture of our rifle rack during a 1k F-Class match at Bayou Rifles:
</div></div>
It is F-Class, Mark. And it's at the Bayou Rifles range ("Juliff"?) near Manvel. I have shot Palma there a couple times, sling and apertures, bolt and AR-10, but that was a few years ago, and I'm ready to try the scope-mode now.
Also been tweaking my .308 handloads (Varget and SMK HPBTs 175gr in LC M118LR brass, but thinking about the Sierra Palma bullet, too, with Varget in Lapua brass).
Nice picture!

For your price range I would recommend either the Weaver T36 or the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 if you're going to be shooting 1000 yards. More magnification the merrier, I say. I've seen both scopes do very well at Bayou Rifles. If I hadn't gotten a good deal on my NF 12-42 BR (all but one scope in Mark's picture are Nightforce BR's), I would've gotten the Sightron. Plus if you're going to be shooting F-TR and weight is an issue, the Sightron is lighter (and has more travel than the NF BR).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alamo308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some quick research shows that scope 'might' have enough MOA range to not require the 20 MOA base. Does that sound right? </div></div>
If you want to shoot to 1000, then definitely get a 20MOA rail. Regardless of whether it has enough adjustment range, the scope works better closer to the center of its range....20MOA rail is a no-brainer regardless of the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alamo308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of competition?
</div></div>
It is F-Class, Mark. And it's at the Bayou Rifles range ("Juliff"?) near Manvel. I have shot Palma there a couple times, sling and apertures, bolt and AR-10, but that was a few years ago, and I'm ready to try the scope-mode now.
Also been tweaking my .308 handloads (Varget and SMK HPBTs 175gr in LC M118LR brass, but thinking about the Sierra Palma bullet, too, with Varget in Lapua brass).
Nice picture! </div></div>

Excellent, look forward to you joining us soon!! Feel free to ask any of use to look through, or try out our scopes at the next match you can make. The rifle on the far left in that pic is mine, and I have both the BRs and some NXSs, like them both.

You will want as high a magnification as you can afford for F. You can always turn a 42x down to 20, although we seldom do, but you can never turn a 20x up to 40. You will shoot better in F the better you can see the scoring lines (accurate & repeatable holds) and this is why high mag is so importatnt.

Be sure to introdue yourself on your next trip out, always like meeting new guys!!

Mark

Alamo 308,

You should definitely come out and join us at Bayou. It is a great group of guys and like Mark said, everyone is willing to share info and allow you to try out there scopes. It is a very welcoming environment.

As for the scopes, the NF are great, but a little out of the price range that you stated. I would look at the Sightron SIII. More guys seem to be using these. The one I have has been flawless. Very good glass for the price range and the tracking is spot on.

I would also encourage you to move over to the Lapua brass. I shrugged off doing this for a long time, but after I did, I was kicking myself for not having done it earlier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alamo 308, I would also encourage you to move over to the Lapua brass. I shrugged off doing this for a long time, but after I did, I was kicking myself for not having done it earlier.</div></div>
Thanks, head2h2o. I definitely plan to make it over there in 2011. And I've already started with the Lapua; got 1,000 brand-new cases ready to prep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of competition?

bayou1krack.jpg
</div></div>
Hey that's my rifle in the AICS chassis. I love my premier for F Class tactical. Nightforce is another good option.

Of the 8 rifles shown in the picture below, 7 are wearing NF scopes. That should tell you everything.

I know your budget is $800 but I would strongly recommend stretching for a 12-42x56 NF BR model. Alex at EuroOptics, among others, will make you a really fair deal if you can't find a used one for sale. NF scopes are guaranteed for life regardless if you're the original buyer or not. I love my USO ST10 but the NF BR models are better for F-Class competition. Good luck!

bayou1krack.jpg
</div></div>

Wait till you can afford the NF BR.

For the price the I would recommend looking at Leupold Target scopes or the Vortex PST line.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also look at the Bushnell 6-24x50 Tactical. It has a 30mm tube with 45MOA of adjustment which will get you to 1000yd, side parallax, good glass, and mil-dot. You can get the ffp model with illuminated reticle, or the sfp model (for target shooting the sfp would be all you need) and it will be around $500 if you look around. </div></div>

I have this scope and it's great and offers plenty of room to grow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alamo308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alamo 308, I would also encourage you to move over to the Lapua brass. I shrugged off doing this for a long time, but after I did, I was kicking myself for not having done it earlier.</div></div>
Thanks, head2h2o. I definitely plan to make it over there in 2011. And I've already started with the Lapua; got 1,000 brand-new cases ready to prep. </div></div>

1,000 new pieces of Lapua brass. That could have been a down payment on a new scope.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[1,000 new pieces of Lapua brass. That could have been a down payment on a new scope.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Except half are .308 and and half are 6.5mm!
grin.gif
-- Got this pile before I started shopping for glass.

I have this sightron 10to 50 power on my 284 shehane which I shoot Fclass comps with and have to say for the money I am loving it .I have a S&B5X25 and its fantastic but shooting 1 kilometer the other day with the sightron I was watching the bullet impact and adjusting without a spotter .The glass is very acceptable and the scope tracks how it should -just a touchy parallax-highly recommend this scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have this sightron 10to 50 power on my 284 shehane which I shoot Fclass comps with and have to say for the money I am loving it .I have a S&B5X25 and its fantastic but shooting 1 kilometer the other day with the sightron I was watching the bullet impact and adjusting without a spotter .The glass is very acceptable and the scope tracks how it should -just a touchy parallax-highly recommend this scope </div></div>

Do you know Mike Downey by any chance? He also shoots a 284 shehane and won 3 golds with the USA F-Class Team in 2009.

Anyways, back on topic, yes +1 on the Sightron. That is the scope I have ordered for my F-Class rig. Until NightForce comes out with the NXS with 1/8 adjustments, the Sightron should be nice.

I also will be joining yall at Bayou as soon as I can afford some proper glass.. Went and watched the Garand match and got to hang out in the target pit. Enjoyed it.
Queston.. In the pic the far left rifle has a white box at the bottom of the rack with what appears to be a tube running to the rifle, What is that?

bayou1krack.jpg
</div></div>

I must admit I don't follow the champs enough to know all by name but good to see he has a sightron and has won big with it as a part of his kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Queston.. In the pic the far left rifle has a white box at the bottom of the rack with what appears to be a tube running to the rifle, What is that?
</div></div>

An aquarium pump to cool the barrel. Don't know how well it works or whether it makes a difference, though.

Being in the Houston area, Bayou gets crazy hot and humid in the summer. At the July match my (relatively skinny) barrel was still uncomfortably warm to the touch after I had pulled targets for a match and came back.