• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendations 308

FunGunPun

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2018
Florida
Disclaimer, this is probably better suited for the mil/Leo section but I don’t have access to that yet. If anyone could assist with that part, it would be appreciated.

I am trying to gather information for a future purchase of two scopes. It’s not a personal purchase. The budget I’ve been given is under 1k each, though I’m trying to get that increased.

What is the platform for the scope? JP precision 308

What cartridge are you shooting? 308

What is your intended use for the scope? Urban

What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? : All conditions, Daylight, Lowlight, Nighttime, rain or shine, hot or cold

What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 25 yards to 1000

Are there any specific specifications you would like? 34mm tube, FFP, mil/mil, tree reticle, illumination, tree reticle

What is the price range you can afford? Under $1500 (assuming an approx gov discount)

From what I’ve read and gathered so far, it seems that some options are:
Leupold mk4
Burris xtr 3
Athlon Ares

Does anyone else have other suggestions? Also, for the ones listed above, does anyone have first hand experience, good or bad?

I would take the Cronus over the Ares personally. The Cronus is a good optic out of Japan.

No.feedback on the MK4 yet of course, but should be a very good optic.

It's a good list.

Reactions: FunGunPun
Some companies offer a better price if selling direct to the PD vs going through a dealer, so check with them. The LE price on the Vortex Rzr LHT 4.5-22x50 will be in your price range. It will give you a little more magnification for target ID and has the xmass tree reticle you want. Also doesn’t weigh a ton. Interesting that the Dept is fielding JP rifles at $3-$4k, but limiting your optic budget to $1000. If they will increase the budget, NF ATACRS are great on a work rifle. The 4-16 or 4-20 are at home on a gas gun. I‘d also recommend making sure you have an illuminated reticle. If you haven‘t trained in low light as a sniper or DM, you’ll see the advantage of the ill ret as soon as you do. I’m a retired LEO and was on sniper team. Getting $$ for equipment / training is usually a fight. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Personally I wouldn’t be putting a Chinese optic on a work gun. Of your list the Burris would be my choice. You’re running $4k rifles tell them to spring for a NF atacr 4-16 mil XT or similar.

Leupold and vortex will be hard to beat with discounts. Personally I would opt for more magnification for 1,000 yards but the reality of a shot like that in a LE scenario is next to zero

If you’re LE shoot @Terry Cross a message and get some suggestions. Otherwise there’s been several threads like this in the past year. Even in the regular forum

Thank you for your responses. I know the budget constraints are odd, trust me I know. It’s a full blown argument every time it comes up. The $1k is an arbitrary amount set by the person who would sign the purchase request, that’s it, there isn’t a rhyme or reason. I’m trying to push for more funding and sourcing that through various means… 🤔

I would like to spring for an ATACR or heck a ZCO but realistically I may only get enough for a T6xi or Tenmile and that’s a big maybe.

So I have to ask. Did the department purchase the rifles? Or is this like many smaller departments do and they’re kicking in a certain amount but you’re buying most of the system? Cause you could always purchase good equipment yourself if you own the rifle.

If they only want to spend $1k on the optic what’s the ammo budget looking like?

Just seems odd they’d ok a purchase of a JP then slam the brakes on the optic. Generally they’d give a price for the overall system and you’d make cuts to fit there.

The rifles, rings/mount, and bipod were already purchased, hence the need to use a 34mm tube.

Please don’t try to make sense of this, logic does not work here. The real shocker is that this isn’t a small city.

I was not a part of the rifle build process, that happened a few years ago. They built out specs on what they wanted the sniper rifle to be and priced it out. Then haggled with admin over the cost. My assumption is that part of the haggling resulted in a good rifle and a subpar optic.

My job in this is to detail options within that price point and compare and contrast with higher priced options. Detail the pros and cons associated with each.