• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Recommendations For 17HMR Range Shooting ( Primarily )

Turkeytider

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Georgia
Would appreciate some current user recommendations for a scope upgrade. About 95% range shooting out to 300 yards. $300 budget. My current scope is max 7X. At times feel under scoped, particularly when sighting a 2" gong at 200 yards! Any recommendations much appreciated.

My BIL is kinda cheap, I recommended this as an extremely budget option. He's shooting prairie dogs out to 300ish yards with a ruger 17hmr. Got him set-up with good dope and he's dialing in his elevation for shots with it. Been solid for over a year now and rides around in a truck most days.

For under $300 I think this is going to serve much more reliably than the aforementioned extreme budget option

I wish I could reliably hit a two inch gong at 200 yards with any of my 17HMRs. I'd have to pick a scope that comes with the most luck. Three of my immediate families 17s have 3-9x, one a 3.5-14x and one a 4-12x. These all can pick up targets at 200 but between ammo inconsistencies and the lightest breeze preclude me from trying it.

The furthest I hit anything with a 17 was a woodchuck at 170 yards. The bullet failed to expand and I had to walk up and finish him. Now I don't shoot anything past 125 yards with a 17. I know that's irrelevant to target shooting. Just something to keep in mind if you ever plan on hunting with it at long ranges.

I wish I could reliably hit a two inch gong at 200 yards with any of my 17HMRs. I'd have to pick a scope that comes with the most luck. Three of my immediate families 17s have 3-9x, one a 3.5-14x and one a 4-12x. These all can pick up targets at 200 but between ammo inconsistencies and the lightest breeze preclude me from trying it.

The furthest I hit anything with a 17 was a woodchuck at 170 yards. The bullet failed to expand and I had to walk up and finish him. Now I don't shoot anything past 125 yards with a 17. I know that's irrelevant to target shooting. Just something to keep in mind if you ever plan on hunting with it at long ranges.
LOL!!! RM, who said anything about " reliably "!? That`s why I want to consider a better scope!! Seriously though, it can indeed be done, and I did it several times the first time out, but I missed it plenty as well, trust me. It`s a fun challenge though! You should give it a try. Have to make sure each session that your scope is dialed in before trying it. I shoot and adjust my scope until I can get 3 or 4 within a 5" painted target dot at 200. I also shoot a 4" gong at 200. You wouldn`t think 2"s would make that much difference, but it does. After trying all the loads, in my gun, the CCI 17grain TNT ( JHP ) does best when it comes to accuracy and consistency.
While I do think the 17 HMR can be reasonably accurate at 200, that`s for target purposes. I wouldn`t shoot at anything alive over about 125-130 either.

Reactions: RMS65
The Athlon Heras 4-20 is $339 at Cameraland. Call Doug, maybe he can sharpen the pencil a bit.

I have one of these and also the Heras 2-12. Pretty cool SFP scopes with .2 milhash reticles. The reticles are on the thin side so good for what the OP has in mind.