• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope recommendations for Barrett M107A1..!!

Texaslongshot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
So a good friend of mine just bought a Barrett M107A1 and is asking for scope recommendations.

This person is a lifelong hunter but is not a long range shooter. This was definitely "this is badass buy". The goals are to shoot some steel and maybe some pigs out to 600 as well as being prepared for the zombie apocalypse. Budget is around 3K. Biggest concern for them is a scope robust enough to handle the .50. (i stressed need for a robust mount as well.)

I myself am a long range shooter but i have never played in the .50 arena.

I like to give recommendations to people at different price points. I think there are many optics below 3K that would meet his needs so i like to give a top end recommendation and a middle of the road recommendation. Steering him towards Mil for possible future resale it he wanted.

My top scope recommendations right now are

1. Nightforce 5-25 ATACR mil R or mil C
2. Burris 5.5-30 XTR III SCR mil

What other recommendations should i consider making to him.

Also he was asking for ammo recommendations. With a quick search i found some very nice Hornady at $8 a round or some PMC for around $4.00 on bulk ammo. Anyone have any experience with the PMC. Is it minute of pig out to 600......

I like Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42. I have the x50 mounted, but also a x42 on another rifle which I like better. With the bouncy recoil it will be harder to spot hits past 16x anyway. I usually keep it around 9-10x unless I'm going for 900+ yards. Can easily see full size steel plates at 1k yards.

PMC ammo is hit or miss. Sometimes a batch will group 2 moa all day, other times its 5 moa. I've weighed a random sampling of the rounds and usually they are within 5 grains of each other. But sometimes I find a few with 25+ grains difference. Don't know if that is just powder or bullet/case/primer differences combined.

Best bet for out of the box accuracy is AMAX 750gr, but they aren't cheap. I've had good success with the PPU 725 solid brass rounds. They aren't 1 MOA all day, but less variance than standard ball ammo.

Reactions: Texaslongshot
Where did he get it at? My buddy has been searching for one for a while now.

A personal friend of his is an FFL dealer and had one come through. I think it had been ordered for some time.

A used S&B 5-25x56 would be a great scope for the money and would hold up really well.
You might even see if EuroOptic is still doing a sale on any of them.

Reactions: Texaslongshot
You won't break either of those scopes on that rifle.

Ran an XTRII for years on a Steyr 50BMG. The XTR Series is extremely durable. That XTR3 will treat him great and he'll save about $1300 over the NF. And it is a better low light optic.