• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope recommendations???

11bangbang

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Texas
I am considering a few different mid price range scopes for a new build, but am having a helluva time deciding.
confused.gif

I am looking at the following: (and wanting to keep it under $600)

Bushnell Elite4200 6-24X50 MDOT
Leupold MARK2 T1 6-18X40AO MDOT

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Re: Scope recommendations???

Both have decent glass, but you will be limited in internal adjustment a bit. I've heard some recent horror stories on Bushnell's CS. But Leupold isn't exactly winning anybody over either at the moment.

I'd probably give optics clarity to the Bushnell out of the two models you listed. I would also prefer the exposed tactical knobs of the Bushnell over the T1 (not M1) knobs of the Leupy.

If you haven't looked up Scott at Liberty Optics, you might want to check out his website. He has a pretty damn good deal on the Elite 6500 2.5-16's, putting them in your price range.

Buy the absolute best you can afford, you will never regret it. Also cheaper than buying two. There alot of really good scopes that just can't do the job you will require when you start reaching out there.
Rob

I was in the same boat and spent a little extra for the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MD from Scott.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11bangbang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering a few different mid price range scopes for a new build, but am having a helluva time deciding.
confused.gif

I am looking at the following: (and wanting to keep it under $600)

Bushnell Elite4200 6-24X50 MDOT
Leupold MARK2 T1 6-18X40AO MDOT

Any recommendations or suggestions? </div></div>

Before we do that, can you tell us on what rifle (and caliber) this scope will be mounted? Also, it would be good to know what you will be using the rifle for the most. Is it raget shooting, hunting, plinking, competition, CQB, TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, (did I miss any acronyms?) Also, what distance will be the furthest, the closest? Whar kind of precision do you need in your shooting?

Depending on what you are mounting this on, take a look at a Super Sniper. If you want to go for a good value and a cheap price. Just a thought.

Well I'm starting with a 700P - .308

I just ordered a Mcmillan A5 stock.. 8 weeks... arrghhh

I want to hit out to 800 yards. Mostly for target, I want to get into competition.

My current Nikon Monarch has me sub .5 at 100 with custom loads.

I'm on a break from my CHL class, have to get back but will be on tonight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11bangbang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm starting with a 700P - .308

I just ordered a Mcmillan A5 stock.. 8 weeks... arrghhh

I want to hit out to 800 yards. Mostly for target, I want to get into competition.

My current Nikon Monarch has me sub .5 at 100 with custom loads.

I'm on a break from my CHL class, have to get back but will be on tonight </div></div>

If you are in the Houston area, Bayou Rifles has F-class matches twice a month and they shoot to 1000 yards. If this is anywhere near something you would like to try I suggest you go attend a match before you decide on a scope.

Which Nikon do you have presently?

How about the Vortex Viper 6-24 with the mil dot reticle. Great scope and it's within your budget.

Sightron 6-24x50MD (just outside your price range) or 3.5-10x44 (right in your range--Whittakers has them for $579.99)

I second the Vortex recomendation!

Here's a link to mine, I just got the Mil-Dot version of the Viper.

My Vortex on the Hide

Trust me, you won't be disappointed with the scope, the company, or the service.

If you're not using the range finding (angular measurement) properties of a mil-dot scope you can get some really clear glass in that price range without that reticle. I know I just shopped around Sightron started making the s-3 in the mil reticle also @ $6-700? and 30mm tube. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a u.s.o. They will start the process w 1/2 down and you can save up and send the rest when your scope is ready in the future sometime. I ordered a st-10 w ergo for @1200 because I want to use the moa reticle-moa adjustments system and nobody else does it to my knowledge. Also do you want 1" or 30mm.? This may be an unpopular statement, but I've always thought the clarity of Leup vx-3's was pretty good.

Just one more thought. If you can get by with a 1" tube you will save a small fortune on rings.

Hey Sig - Is there a website where I can learn more about the matches? I'm in San Antonio, Houston is about a 3-4 hour trek. That may be a doable roadtrip.

My Monarch is a 5-20x44. It's sitting on my SPS Tactical .308

I ended up getting the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50... Buds had it dirt cheap this weekend... got it for five and some change, retails well over six. If it's not to my liking I can always ebay it and get most of my cash back. Besides, eventually I'm going to liquidate some of the contents of my safe and get a premier ... "eventually"
wink.gif

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am one unpatient mofo. I hate having a new rifle and not being able to shoot it. My scope and mount gear will be here by Friday
grin.gif