• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Reticle Choices

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
Regarding reticule choices for training rifles.

I see many are using similar, in many cases exactly the same scopes as used on their big bore rifles. I've been struggling with which scope I should put on my Anschutz 64 MPR. I was advised to choose a scope with a thin cross hair reticule of no less then 18x top magnification and to make sure and get a variable power scope. Allegedly, because the cross hair of a traditional long range scope is too thick for maximum accuracy at the closer ranges, 50 yards etc...

I had originally thought of choosing a 12x or 16x fixed power SS from SWFA. But wonder about the wisdom of such magnification for engaging 100 yard and closer targets off hand. I'd think quickly finding the target with such a narrow field of view might be problematic. There appears to be two schools of thought on rim-fire scopes.... hunters, don't get a scope too long and heavy or with above a 3x9 magnification.... and target shooters who peg away happily with a Weaver T-24 ot T-36 and think lower magnification isn't enough for targets.

Those of us using these small bore rifles as tactical trainers must be writing new chapters :) . Your thoughts and experiences please .... I'm more interested in your ideas on reticule choices for this purpose then the merits of a particular scope. I'm thinking their must be a good combination/compromise for our use.

Last edited:
If strictly shooting off the bench at paper 100+ yards away, the higher magnification scopes are nice and cause less eye strain.
If you want to quickly find a target/squirrel/Etc., scopes over 10x get to be somewhat sporty.

In terms of reticle, I've yet to find one I like as much as the TMR reticle. That void at the very center is fantastic.

(disclaimer: I have Mark-4 16x scopes on most of my rifles as they have enough elevation to dial out past 400y)

Had to make the same decision last year.
I was allowed to look through a variety of scopes at the local range on competition days.
The one I ended up with was the Mueller 8-32x-44 side focus target dot reticle.
Allows me to adjust parallax down to 10 yards, no problems with clarity or eye relief and the price was right.
Just not in my budget to purchase one of the top end optics and the Mueller has been effective.
Very fine crosshairs and target dot center work well punching paper at distances over 100 yards.
My mil-dot 4-16x hunting scope with heavy crosshairs is fine for the use in the brush
but occludes the target center at distances beyond 40 yards. Can't hit what you can't see.

Last edited:
How far do you want tp shoot and is the annie serving as a trainer for larger bore gun?

Most of the matches planned for participation max out at ~200 yards. Targets to engage between 25 and 200 in the match... trainer, frankly yes and no (if that makes any sense). If it were a true trainer it would be configured more like my AICS stocked rifle. It isn't. Mainly thinking fundamental practice and more trigger time in the off season, perhaps even some indoor. This is Wisconsin ya know :), I'd be up to my ass in snow on the range outdoors...

Last edited:
If all I was doing was planning on bench shooting I'd go with as fine a cross hair as possible. Out of my budget and needs, but if I had to pick right now I'd go wtih the T-36 - I've shot on one a few times, very nice.

This is what dum dum lolipops look like at 50 yards thru my Simmons WTC cranked up to 20x. The suckers are 3/4" diameter. Scope is great for varmint hunting, and I can see 22 holes at 150 yards, but the crosshairs cover up too much target space when every hair width counts.

scope1sm.jpg

I will second the mueller option. I shot with a Mil/Mil nightforce on my long range rifle and thought I would do the same on my rimmfire as I have a spare but for punching paper at 50 yards I found the reticle to be to thick. So I bought a mueller 8x32x44 and absolutely love it.

I run a Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15X on my 40X which sits in an AICS. The gun has had several scopes sitting on it including a Weaver T-24 (fine crosshairs and 1/8 minute target dot) and a SS 16X. For finding anything closer than 50 yards both of these scopes had serious FOV issues.

If you are shooting a rimfire tactical match I strongly recommend a variable power optic so you can "dial down" the magnification for shorter target engagement and dial up for longer shots. 15X is plenty for seeing holes in paper at 100 and chances are in the matches you shoot, the targets farther out will be reactive (plates, clay pigeons, swingers, etc...) so seeing the holes isn't a necessity.

Personally, I prefer a mil-dot reticle because in a timed event you can use hold overs faster than you can use the turrets for elevation and windage on multiple, variable distance targets. I apply this to my centerfire as well and rarely use the turrets for anything closer than 600 yards.

Well for better or worse I pulled the trigger on a scope today. I ordered a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target with the fine cross-hair 1/8 MOA dot reticle. Likely not the perfect choice, but I needed a compromise between the old small bore paper puncher in me and my precision trainer needs. So... I have a fine reticle and parallax adjustment 10 yards to infinity for maximum visibility and precision as well as variable power for multiple needs. What I sacrificed is a reticle with ranging capabilities. I got a great deal on it so if I don't care for it after a while I can easily recover my money and try something else. We shall see...

64 MPR with Leupold Mark 4 6.5-25x50 mil dot reticle. Shoot it out to 300 regularly. Can shoot it down to 25, but never do. Can see bullet holes at 200 yards and that is a plus. Can see and track bullet path and impact from 100-200 yards and that is also a plus. Stock pack really makes the cheek weld excellent. Consider one, I think it will help you with the 64 MPR.

IMG_0924.jpg

54.18 with same scope, but with TMR reticle. I really like this reticle and it is a little finer and easier to get on small targets. McMillan Master silouette great cheek weld.

Anschutz5418withHarrelltuner.jpg

I think you'll like your scope choice just fine.