• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope reticle question.................

jayjaytuner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Geneva, New York
turning the turrets clockwise the reticle Lowers............
does this lower the point of impact or raise it?

turning the turret counter clockwise the reticle raises......
same ? as above??

thanks for help

Re: scope reticle question.................

Where the crosshairs go, the bullet goes. So lowering the reticle, lowers the bullet impact.

Actually, if you look at the reticle as you lower the elevation, the reticle is going <span style="font-weight: bold">up</span> inside the scope.

Conversely, if you increase the elevation, the reticle goes down inside the scope.

That's because, to make the rifle shoot higher, you have to point the muzzle up. That's what happens when you lower the reticle in the scope. When you change the line of sight lower, you are effectively raising the muzzle with respect to the line of sight.

Some turrets turn clockwise to increase elevation, and some counter-clockwise. However, if you're looking through the scope, and turning the knob lowers the reticle, the point of impact is going up, and vice-versa.

......and where the pivot point is for the erector, fore or aft of the jacking mechanism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some turrets turn clockwise to increase elevation, and some counter-clockwise. </div></div>

I know! My Zeiss turrets turn opposite of everything else I own. Makes you pay more attendion when dialing in the dark, I guess!