• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Review Repository?

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
Hey all,

I really hope I don't get flamed for this, but I was doing some searches online for a Vortex review and found a pretty long thread on the ARFcom site. It wasn't about Vortex, but about 1-4x scopes. A guy led it off with a spreadsheet breaking down some key information that was easy to read and had the pages where the scope reviews were for each.

Basically, in a single thread there were a dozen scopes with pics through the scopes at different magnification levels so that you could see the clarity, reticle, color, etc.

I've seen a few scope reviews on here and would love to see something like this. I'd like to start this off and see if it gets any traction. I realize it could get lengthy but probably not as long as some of the picture threads we have. haha

Does anybody have any thoughts about standardizing the pics through the scopes? Maybe 3x, 4x, 9x, 12x, 15x and 20x picture standards. I realize not every scope is 3-20x (that'd be awesome), but most scopes are 1-4x, 2-10x, 3-9x, 3-10, 4-12, 4-16, 6-20, etc. I think these pics would provide for the widest range of comparison amongst other scopes and allow other Hide members to compare two scope pictures fairly easily.

Thoughts?

Re: Scope Review Repository?

Through the scope pics are only worth as much as the trust you put into the word of the person who tells you that they represent what the human eye sees.

You cannot reliably judge image quality (dependent on alignment and properties of the camera lens) and much less color (dependent on camera white balance) by through the scope pics. It may work for some aspects in some cases, but depending on how well the camera lens works together with a particular scope, it may be impossible to get a good image through a great scope. If it was that easy, it'd be a standard procedure already.

Re: Scope Review Repository?

I know white balance comes into play along with the type of camera/lens used, but looking at a picture is more helpful a lot of the time rather than just a few words.

A lot of forums ask for reticle shots, and I haven't really seen a camera that wasn't able to take a picture through a scope. That's mostly User Error or the User not knowing how to use the camera. I think we all understand that cameras can't capture what the eye sees exactly.