• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope ring advice

ImUrHucklbry

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2021
New Mexico
Looking for some advice on scope ring height. I have a Riton X5 with 34mm tube.
It will be mounted on a 20moa rail on a Tikka T3X Lite 6.5prc. I know it's probably sacrilegious but the scope will placed on a model 70 30-06 temporarily until my son's hunt is over. I already bought some Vortex PMS 1.26 rings but the scope is sitting high.
I want to get it as low as possible and prefer to keep with 1 set that I could use for both rifles.

It will be mounted on a 20moa rail on a Tikka T3X Lite 6.5prc. I know it's probably sacrilegious but the scope will placed on a model 70 30-06 temporarily until my son's hunt is over. I already bought some Vortex PMS 1.26 rings but the scope is sitting high.
I want to get it as low as possible and prefer to keep with 1 set that I could use for both rifles.
Simply measure the distance from center of rings, where they split, to top of base (or bottom flat of rings). Should measure 1.26”. Then decide how much closer you can go before you are too close. Subtract the difference and you know how high you need to get.

For reference, the PMR rings go as low as 0.92”. That is 0.34” (11/32”) less than the ones you have now. There are three other heights that are in between those two.

The Riton a 50mm objective? Get 1" high rings. The .92" height will most likely work but depending on the mount height of the Tikka the 1" is a safe bet. Below is a pic of a 56mm objective scope in 1" high rings on a 20 MOA base with a barrel that is a heavier contour than yours.

IMG_2786.JPG

Reactions: lash
Pay
The Riton a 50mm objective? Get 1" high rings. The .92" height will most likely work but depending on the mount height of the Tikka the 1" is a safe bet. Below is a pic of a 56mm objective scope in 1" high rings on a 20 MOA base with a barrel that is a heavier contour than yours.

View attachment 7637715
Exactly thr type of response I was hoping for. Yes it's 50mm. Thanks for the advice.

Seekins Precision low-heigh rings on an EGW HD rail. That's what I run on all my setups...Even my 10/22 and .17 HMR.

For you rings the general rule of thumb is our .885" lows will work with scopes with a 50mm objective and smaller. Mediums are 1.0" and will work with 56mm objectives.

There are some scopes that need a bit more height due to mounting lengths, etc. In general that works though.