• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Scope ring height question - Vortex PST on R700 clearance

SDmtnbkr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hi,

I'm ordering the Vortex PST 6x24 scope for my R700 SPS-V and have a question regarding the scope rings. The scope is coming with free Griffin rings but I'd need to be ordering them at the same time and have no idea which height rings will clear and still allow for a scope cap.

Would the "low" rings (.86") clear the barrel with a scope cap with a Seekins 20 MOA base? Or would I need to go with their "medium" rings (1.05")? I have no plans on using a stock that would obstruct in any way. I tried searching but couldn't find a solid answer. This is my first precision rifle so I have no clue on which rings work better for me.

Thank you!

I have the same scope on my 700 using a Precision Armament 20moa rail and Vortex precision low rings. These are .87, so you should be GTG with low rings.

parts 063.jpgparts 046.jpg

Last edited:
I have this exact scope and Griffin rings on a KRG chassis in this picture. I used the medium rings they offer on their website. I have an adjustable cheek piece so there is no issue with height, I also have a 20 moa base so it should give you an idea of how yours should sit.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/1933d1363012318-krg-whiskey-3-chassis-lets-see-them-image.jpg

Oh perfect! That's the exact chassis I eventually want to get. Thanks to both of you for the pictures.

I recently put the same scope on my aac-sd with a 20moa EGW base and Burris low rings. Looks pretty much like the clearance Papa posted in his pic. Should still have room for lens caps.

I have that scope with Talley mount and Burris XTR rings, and low works great.

I happened to have both Leupy STD bases (2 piece) and 30mm medium rings, so I just used those with no xxMOA adjustment on the same scope. Set-up works great and should allow useful shooting to 800 yards.

Harry