• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope ring help

Socom elite

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2012
Columbia, SC
I was going to ask on another local forum so I wouldn't look like a total newb, but I want to get the correct answer and y'all here seem top notch.

When I tighten my scope rings there is a small gap on one side. I have read that this is ok and it seems ok. My question is. Does it matter if it's on one side only? Do both rings need the gap on the same side? Like the gap on my front is on the left side and my rear ring has the gap on the right side. Does the gap need to be even on both sides per ring? Does it really even matter.

I have not sighted this scope in yet and figured now is the time to get this right. If its fine the way it is even better as I really don't want to have to level the crosshairs again if I don't have to

Thanks

Re: Scope ring help

When you tighten them do you alternate torquing each side down so they get tighter evenly? That should reduce any differences in gaps from side to side.

I've mounted a lot of scopes and never saw any kind of "gap", can you see daylight through it? What brand of mount?

I'm using weaver tactical 6 screw rings. The gap I'm speaking of is where the top of the ring meets the bottom ring.

I did alternate when tightening them. I haven't shot it yet. It might not even matter in my case but if I can make it better now is the time to do it

Not sure it really matters but if you snug them evenly and then torque them evenly the space should be about the same on both sides. Seems some better quality rings have very little gap left after torquing them. A lot of folks over tighten them, a torque wrench is a worthwhile investment for a lot of things you do involving our shooting and our guns.

Topstrap