• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

scope ring lapping

Re: scope ring lapping

It depends on how good the bases are (straight & square) and how straight the scope tube is. The only rigs I have ever used (almost every brand going back to the 60s) that never would leave ring marks are the Burris signatures with the plastic inserts.
Lapping can't hurt as long as it's not overdone (loose scope)
With Talley, S&K, Control and Warne, the ring marks are so tiny that I just ignore them.

Re: scope ring lapping

Probably not real critical but if you are a perfectionist, it can't hurt if done correctly.

A good quality set of rings and bases go a long way but if you torque the base down on an action that is not straight, the base will not be straight either.

I always start by bedding my bases to the action with a thin skin of epoxy. I hold it in place lightly so as not to stress the base if the action is not straight.

Once you have your ring position figured out, carefully torque the base and rings into position and check the rings with a lapping bar. Better rings like Badger, Seekins and Nightforce are usually pretty close, but sometimes it will surprise you.

I always check rings to see if they need lapping.