• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Ring Placement

Blushin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Bethany Beach, DE
hey all,

so ive checked the hide and couldn't find a thread specifically for this subject. when installing a new scope how do you decided where to place your rings? is there a certain place they should be mounted? i have seen some guys mount the rear all the way back on the base and other have spread them out equally. i have also seen guys mount them and far forward and back on the scope as possible. i know it has a lot to do with eye relief etc but i wanted to see if there was a special way to decide where the rings should go.

thanks
phill

I don't know if there's a set method, but I get in the prone and get behind the rifle and check eye relief, then do it from the kneeling, barricades, etc. I choose what works best (aims naturally) in these positions. I'm interested in reading everyone else's responses.

I try to mount them in the middle of tubes when I can, doesn't have to be exact. Not against the turrets, bell, or eye piece. Probably doesn't matter but I have always done that and never had a problem. Maybe someone who knows about scopes could tell if there is a right/wrong way and why.

I try to mount them in the middle of tubes when I can, doesn't have to be exact. Not against the turrets, bell, or eye piece. Probably doesn't matter but I have always done that and never had a problem. Maybe someone who knows about scopes could tell if there is a right/wrong way and why.

This is the way I mount mine and I usually try to leave a little room on the rail to move it forward or back if needed.

I like to have the rings as far to the front and rear of the scope as possible while having proper eye relief. I feel this supports the scope better than having the rings close together

This^^^^^^^

When the rifle fires, the heaviest parts of the scope are like pendulums. The closer the mounts/rings are to the ends of the scope, as long as you can obtain proper eye relief and adjustments aren't impaired, you will have better "damping" of the pendulum effect. This will lead to longer scope life in the end.