• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope ring question

adubeau

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2019
Peoples Republic Of Illinois
I have a Arken SH4 Gen II (low rings .92) on a CZ457 in a Oryx Chassis.. I was at my first NRL22 match - and I had a hell of a time getting a good sight picture on the scope in lot positions besides supported prone , a few case it took me several seconds to get a clean sight behind the scope. Could this be due to the scope rings being too low? I to the point of replacing the scope with something else , should I swap out for taller rings? say med or high and then give it a try..

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

AD.

Did lifting your head straight up clean up the sight picture? If so, it sounds like the rings/cheek rest are too low.

I would make sure your eye relief is correct (distance from the eye to the eyepiece of the scope). In the prone, your head is closer to the scope. When you go into other positions, your head is further back.

When you set your scope up, how did you verify fitment before tightening everything down?

Did lifting your head straight up clean up the sight picture? If so, it sounds like the rings/cheek rest are too low.

I would make sure your eye relief is correct (distance from the eye to the eyepiece of the scope). In the prone, your head is closer to the scope. When you go into other positions, your head is further back.

When you set your scope up, how did you verify fitment before tightening everything down?
I did it in prone position , and had my son move scope until I had a clear picture, that’s was when the scope was in its original AT-ONE stock. I just moved the action to the chassis with making any changes, hmmm I wonder if I need to redo. Yeah lifting my head did help some and moving my head back or forward depending on the position

I did it in prone position , and had my son move scope until I had a clear picture, that’s was when the scope was in its original AT-ONE stock. I just moved the action to the chassis with making any changes, hmmm I wonder if I need to redo. Yeah lifting my head did help some and moving my head back or forward depending on the position

I would start by loosening the rings and starting over.

I set my own scope up, but here is roughly how I do it, in regard to eye relief and positions (Similar should be done for height; adjustable combs/cheek risers are a great thing):

-Start in prone and find the extreme ends of what will work, in that position. Place it roughly in the center of what works.
-Move to a forward biased seated position and check for alignment. Make minor adjustments, as necessary. Note which direction corrections are being made.
-Move to a rearward biased seated position and check for alignment. Make minor adjustments, as necessary.
-Standing offhand check for alignment. Make minor adjustments, as necessary. Note which direction corrections are being made.
-Back to prone to verify proper alignment. If it’s good, tighten down properly. If it’s not, think back on your notes and keep going through the process.

In the end, it’s a balance of your scope’s eye relief, your vision capacity, and the proportion of your body to the rifle. The easiest of these to quickly correct is to make sure the scope you buy has enough eye relief.

When you get into a position, do the eyes shut method, after getting in a completely comfortable position with minimal muscular input.

I would start by loosening the rings and starting over.

I set my own scope up, but here is roughly how I do it, in regard to eye relief and positions (Similar should be done for height; adjustable combs/cheek risers are a great thing):

-Start in prone and find the extreme ends of what will work, in that position. Place it roughly in the center of what works.
-Move to a forward biased seated position and check for alignment. Make minor adjustments, as necessary. Note which direction corrections are being made.
-Move to a rearward biased seated position and check for alignment. Make minor adjustments, as necessary.
-Standing offhand check for alignment. Make minor adjustments, as necessary. Note which direction corrections are being made.
-Back to prone to verify proper alignment. If it’s good, tighten down properly. If it’s not, think back on your notes and keep going through the process.

In the end, it’s a balance of your scope’s eye relief, your vision capacity, and the proportion of your body to the rifle. The easiest of these to quickly correct is to make sure the scope you buy has enough eye relief.

When you get into a position, do the eyes shut method, after getting in a completely comfortable position with minimal muscular input.
I will give you recommendation a try, thank you

Yes they were, however there was very little room between the scope and the rail , I would say about 3/16ths if inch

Ooh, yikes. Might not be enough room if there's a sunshade or flip covers, huh?

Would you recommend the medium rings instead if I'll be using flip up covers?

Thanks.

Ooh, yikes. Might not be enough room if there's a sunshade or flip covers, huh?

Would you recommend the medium rings instead if I'll be using flip up covers?

Thanks.
I didn't have flip covers, I just used the lens cover that came with the scope, my main concern was Arken has a little "nub" that sticks out that had me concerned with getting the scope leveled, it did not cause my issues but it was pretty close to doing so. You could do the next size up.