• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope ring torque

BlueStateCaptive

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
Livingston County, NY
How much should I torque the scope ring bolts on my 5R. Just bought a Weaver Tactical and have a Borka Torque wrench. I cant find anything on the torque settings.
Any help.....thanks

Re: Scope ring torque

Thank you for the link. You are right......that is very simple and I should have thought of that. I posted the question at 4am after already working 12 hours. Just wasn"t thinking
Thanks

Usually the torque is around 12 in-lb for the rings-to-scope, and 55-65 in-lb for the rings-to-base.

Steel ring tops- 20 in/lbs

Steel rings to steel base- 65 in/lbs

Aluminum tops- 12-15 in/lbs

Aluminum rings to any base- 45 in/lbs

Aron-

Are the figures quoted specific to the Weaver scope/mount combo the OP has, or rules-of-thumb?

I'm guessing if they are outside the manufacturer's recommended torque figures and something breaks, the OP's going to be left without warrnty and the bill for putting it right?

Hence my link to the manufacturer's CS page to get them to specify in writing....