• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope selection help. Where to start?

MT380

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2023
Michigan
I just purchased a Bergara premier divide rifle in 6.5cm. Now I need to select a scope. I purchased the rifle to hunt but also hopefully get a taste of what precision rifle shooting is all about.

Most of my shooting background is trap or idpa pistol shooting as well as some small bore target shooting as a teen. I have very little knowledge of precision rifle. So please excuse my ignorance.

Following the pinned suggestions:
Platform is a 6.5cm short action bolt gun. My intended use is hunting and some attempts at precision rifle shooting. My max range would most likely be 600yds as that is the longest range I’m aware of local to me.
Hunting would occur in low light situations at early morning or late evening max range probably 150yds. but if I get comfortable I could extended that out further.
I don’t have much knowledge on sfp vs. ffp. I think ffp would be interesting to try out as I’ve only ever had sfp. But I have no idea if it’s needed for my intended uses.
I’d like to keep it under $1000 if that’s even possible. Some brands I have access to discounts on that could extend my budget.

Is this possible in one scope or are they too different disciplines that require different setups? Thanks for any help or suggestion you may offer.

Any reason to not get the illuminated version if I found an equivalent price? Been doing a bunch of research and somewhere it mentioned the illuminated version may not be made in Japan. Or maybe I have that reversed.

Any reason to not get the illuminated version if I found an equivalent price? Been doing a bunch of research and somewhere it mentioned the illuminated version may not be made in Japan. Or maybe I have that reversed.
Get illuminated

A non illuminated first focal plane scope sucks for hunting. You turn the power down for last light and many times can’t see the reticle. Second plane isn’t as much of an issue

it's just personal but I go by what I want to do with the scope , how little or how much I want to be able to see a price I can afford and how close that is for me to get another delta stryker 5x50x56