• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope selection help

littledancerlena

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
Would love thoughts on selecting the correct scope for the build I describe below.

Have done a pretty thorough search/review of the forum, and havn't found the answer to my questions. Hope I'm not rehashing old issues.

A little background.

I am trying to build a true jack of all trades battle rifle - making tradeoffs in weight, accuracy, range, etc, and need help with optics.

Idea is to end up with the one rifle I would want to grab if I didn't know what I was up against, and couldn't change or replace parts once I grabbed it. I know this isn't entirely realistic, I know it fails to optimize the weapon for the mission, and I'm sure it will mean it does nothing super well. Hopefully, will do most things good enough. And needs to be as close to bullet-proof as possible - that's an important point - happy to accept some costly upgrades which are above my head if they bring with them more durability and survivability

I am decent with a rifle, but no marksman. I don't plan to shoot thousands of rounds a year to become one. I do plan to practice a fair bit (I don't know what that means yet exactly). Have lined up instruction on finer points of scope use. I know that my modest skill level may bear on options available - best for an expert may be gross overkill for someone like me.

I have a POF P308 w/20 inch barrel. And here are my design goals.

A. Optimized to engage accurately and with precision between 150-500 yards (max is 500 - I don't care about 501 yards)

B Capable (but not optimized) for CQB

C. Needs to handle well offhand - Don't want so much weight and bulk that I'm effectively confined to a bi-pod - want to realistically shoot offhand (not at 500 yards certainly)

D. Bullet-proof - bumps, drops, etc don't break it. This may be most impt criteria.

for that build, and after reading everything I can get my hands on, here is what I am considering.

Choice 1. S&B Short Dot
- at what range does 4x become a prob for precision? is 500 yrds too far?
- I keep hearing its durable - how does it compare to an ACOG - forget glass quality, just durability?

Choice 2. 3.5x ACOG with aimpoint t1 mounted with DD 1 O'clock mount
- Lighter but with less field of view
- Same Q as with Short dot - enough magnification?
- Pretty durable I understand
Choice 3. Nightforce 2.5-10 32 with t1 at 1 O'Clock
- Solves the magnification problem but relatively small objective for 10x
- Light - actually weighs less than short dot - 19oz.
- Not FFP - kinda become convinced that's really critical for range estimation - but is that true at 500 yards, or only closer to 1000?
-keep hearing nightforce not quite as good as S&B and USO, but not clear if thats 1) glass - think I can live with lesser glass, 2) FFP issue, or 3) not as bulletproof. 3 is a big deal for me.

Choice 4. Same as 3 but order a USO 2.5-10x.
- bigger objective and FFP but MUCH heavier than NFX, e.g. 30 ounces vs 19.

Choice 5. Premier Heritage 3-15 with DD t1 (could just as easily be S&B or USO of similar magnification- question is not so much about manufacturer as about core capabilities)
- solves the magnification problem I would think
- Heavy - 35 ounces - but really only 7 more than the than 2.5-10 USO. How much weight is too much? Does this choice foreclose the rifle handling well, being used off hand at for all practical purposes?
- Seem optimized for the more distant (and difficult) ranges. Perhaps given my skill level, 500 yards is just too far - and so this option may make a perfectly good rifle, but I will be unable to realize most of the benefits of the scope. Make sense?

Open to any and all other options that I havn't considered.

Thanks all, and appreciate the patience with a neophyte!!

Re: Scope selection help

Why impose rules upon yourself, who knows, in a real world scenerio, you may need to get a good hit at 501 yards. The truth is, anything you think will get the job done will likely satisfy you.

My advice, learn how to shoot with irons. A battle rifle with BDC irons is awesome for a very wide range of targets and distances.