• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope setting

wildturkey2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Lovilia , Iowa
When you guys get a new scope we’re do you guys set the turret in the middle of the clicks or where ? I usually do in the middle but just want more opinions.

New scope:
-dial turrets & controls for a couple evenings.
-mount to rifle, set eye relief, set ring spacing
-set diopter
-plumb reticle
-pull scope from rifle, check tracking, return to zero, and reticle cant.
-put scope back on rifle & boresight.
-live fire zero (typically at 100 yards), and set turrets to “0”.

New scope:
-dial turrets & controls for a couple evenings.
-mount to rifle, set eye relief, set ring spacing
-set diopter
-plumb reticle
-pull scope from rifle, check tracking, return to zero, and reticle cant.
-put scope back on rifle & boresight.
-live fire zero (typically at 100 yards), and set turrets to “0”.
Ok thanks good information guys. I always just set the turret in the middle of total clicks

I just go bore sight it. If for whatever reason it needs to go down past where the current zero stop is, float turrets to have enough elevation. Then finish boresight and zero. Doesn't really matter if you set it to the middle of travel, or to the bottom so you will have to dial up for bore sighting and zero. No difference at all.

Once you have the rifle zero'd, if you are using a lot of inclination in your mounts and you're close to the bottom of the total travel......if you want to exercise and abundance of caution you can dial the turret up to the halfway point and leave it there for storage. Then dial back down to your zero when you use the rifle.

However, that practice is more of a legacy practice. As modern springs and components don't wear out as easily as they used to when you have them compressed.

I just go bore sight it. If for whatever reason it needs to go down past where the current zero stop is, float turrets to have enough elevation. Then finish boresight and zero. Doesn't really matter if you set it to the middle of travel, or to the bottom so you will have to dial up for bore sighting and zero. No difference at all.

Once you have the rifle zero'd, if you are using a lot of inclination in your mounts and you're close to the bottom of the total travel......if you want to exercise and abundance of caution you can dial the turret up to the halfway point and leave it there for storage. Then dial back down to your zero when you use the rifle.

However, that practice is more of a legacy practice. As modern springs and components don't wear out as easily as they used to when you have them compressed.
Ok thanks… I’m putting on a 5.5 x 22 NF witch has 100 moa plus I have a custom action that has a 20 moa built in so plenty of moa it’s going on a 22 CM so good scope but heavy but won’t be a carry rifle .